PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There aren't a lot (none?) of trail marker trees in Florida so I thought I would share this with everyone.

Not sure if posting a book title is ok but I was at an estate sale yesterday for a lady and she had lots of psychology related books on her shelves so this one stood out. "Native American Trail Marker Trees Marking Paths through the Wilderness" by Dennis Downes (2011) I've seen threads about trail marker trees here and picked it up for $2. It starts out slow with lots of images of the author at different awards and presentation scenarios (probably to increase his familiarity with the buying public).

I have only glanced at it but he presents some incredible pieces from his NA collection including a piece on page 25 described as "a rare ceremonial scorpion piece" found in Ok near a riverbed by NA historical Expert, Steve Young. A phenomenal piece that is impossible to accurately describe. it is symmetrical down the middle, wider at the top and tapered, looking like a NA point at the "tail" end. Each side having what appears to be three groups of two legs and pointed "arms" at the head.

But I digress because I just really wanted to bring this book to the attention of those looking for examples of tree markers. There is lot of info in the book describing the reasons they would have been used, not just precious metals.

As a bonus the one I picked up was a signed copy by the author and included a printout of an email discussing "The hidden Life Of Trees" by Peter Wohllebens. Also included was some URL sites on Youtube .
ie "Ute Indian Prayer Trees at Fox Run Regional park in Colorodao springs"/Rod Smith

Let me know if anyone wants more of these URL's of a similar vein. (There's about 4-5 listed in the email)

Hope this book helps some of you out there with your searches.
PP55
EDIT: I did a quick sketch of the scorpion piece and added some color to give you an idea of the piece.
(I'm not one to question the assertion of this as a scorpion but with that many pair of legs it looks more like a centipede and some of them can be dangerous.)
NACeremonialScorpionPiece.JPG

Last edited:

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting find Pete! Thanks for sharing it.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Man, my Nation got ripped off! All these other NDN Nations got all this gold, and all the Houmas got was swamp land, alligators, crawfish, shrimp, . . .

You mean to tell me that the reason the Cherokee left Georgia peacefully was because they had left behind great wealth? Really???

Hoot owl trees "resemble" Indian Trail Trees, but they ain't quite the same. Hoot owl trees related to treasure, Indian Trail Trees related to living, medicine, food, etc.

I've posted images of both here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Chadeaux and my apologies for not seeing your reply sooner and also thanks for enlightening me on the Houma Nation.
The Cherokee (and most other Native American Nations) were not treated fairly or with respect which is very disturbing to most people. I'll have to see if I can find your images.

(I like your screen name because, intentional or not, it made me think of this old expression "The Shadow Knows". :icon_thumleft:)

Crosse De Sign

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2013
~: Ancient Sacred Spirit Lands Of Our Fathers' :~
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ~ TM800 ~
Primary Interest:
Other
There aren't a lot (none?) of trail marker trees in Florida so I thought I would share this with everyone.

Not sure if posting a book title is ok but I was at an estate sale yesterday for a lady and she had lots of psychology related books on her shelves so this one stood out. "Native American Trail Marker Trees Marking Paths through the Wilderness" by Dennis Downes (2011) I've seen threads about trail marker trees here and picked it up for $2. It starts out slow with lots of images of the author at different awards and presentation scenarios (probably to increase his familiarity with the buying public).

I have only glanced at it but he presents some incredible pieces from his NA collection including a piece on page 25 described as "a rare ceremonial scorpion piece" found in Ok near a riverbed by NA historical Expert, Steve Young. A phenomenal piece that is impossible to accurately describe. it is symmetrical down the middle, wider at the top and tapered, looking like a NA point at the "tail" end. Each side having what appears to be three groups of two legs and pointed "arms" at the head.

But I digress because I just really wanted to bring this book to the attention of those looking for examples of tree markers. There is lot of info in the book describing the reasons they would have been used, not just precious metals.

As a bonus the one I picked up was a signed copy by the author and included a printout of an email discussing "The hidden Life Of Trees" by Peter Wohllebens. Also included was some URL sites on Youtube .
ie "Ute Indian Prayer Trees at Fox Run Regional park in Colorodao springs"/Rod Smith

Let me know if anyone wants more of these URL's of a similar vein. (There's about 4-5 listed in the email)

Hope this book helps some of you out there with your searches.
PP55
EDIT: I did a quick sketch of the scorpion piece and added some color to give you an idea of the piece.
(I'm not one to question the assertion of this as a scorpion but with that many pair of legs it looks more like a centipede and some of them can be dangerous.)
View attachment 1872724

Hi, you must've found a treasure, the copies at the usual sources,
are consistently asking $99.99-$100.00 with free shipping for hard
copies, which is probably what you acquired?. So it must be a good
book, to be currently selling everywhere. Thanks for sharing the info.
... :sunny: :fish:
:cross:

OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Crosse De Sign.
Yes it was a treasure trove .... of images, it was hard cover, and it fit my budget.

Your avatar has piqued my interest. What is the image in your avatar?

Last edited:

Crosse De Sign

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2013
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ~ TM800 ~
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you Crosse De Sign.
Yes it was a treasure trove .... of images, it was hard cover, and it fit my budget.

Your avatar has piqued my interest. What is the image in your avatar?

Yes, so it's possibly an owl shaped Hoyo (hole) made on top a Spanish monument,
to sight through, & maybe see something of interest to gain more understanding
& continue in seeking a next clue, hopefully direction on a Spanish treasure trail.
Thanks for the comment, & Best Wishes for a Healthy & Happy New Year!...

If you like, you can view some more marks/signs on mine,
or even better yet, sandy1's thread, in the same forum:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...t-treasure-hunting-condensed.html#post5165411

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...manmade-treasure-marker-sign.html#post5482222

Best Regards,
~:Crosse:~

Last edited:

Crosse De Sign

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2013
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ~ TM800 ~
Primary Interest:
Other
Read diaries and letters from Spaniards and Priests that interacted with Native Americans. After that, you will be skeptical of 99.9% of what you read from people who try to revise history.

Hi Phil, Would you be more detailed & specific, so we can understand your concerns, & what you're saying?
Can you direct to these diaries you speak of, & what about moving a rock & losing a mine location?
Just wondering, if you have something to share, can you provide something to look at?
Thanks,

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70

This "relic" is what's known as an Eccentric.

Many view claims of authentic eccentrics which are like the item claimed here as questionable.

Most authentic eccentrics are not as elaborate as this item.

Especially in Oklahoma. Where Mack Tussinger's flooded the collector market with eccentric relics.

I would be interested in seeing a photograph of this eccentric and not just a drawing, if a photo is available.

Secret squirl

Sep 15, 2017
Nibiru
Detector(s) used
pulsestar II pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone is looking for an interesting read, I would recommend "The Scrolls of Onteora-The Cremona document" by Donald A Rue. It is basically documentation of some finds on the east coast of the USA. It proves if true that Columbus was not the first European to sail to America. There are artifacts that were recovered to back it up. Scott Wolter of History channel fame is also continuing the research. He makes mention of it and actually has a whole chapter in his book taken from the above mentioned book with Rue's permission. There is a really cool story of the first time Native Americans came into contact with a fully armored knight. Even the wife enjoyed the chapter, but she didnt read the whole book.
Scott Wolters book that references Rue's book is "Cryptic Code of the Templars in America".
Scotts books read easier, but I recommend Rue's book as it has more details on the particular finds in NY. Both are good reads IMHO.

Phil

Dec 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Phil, Would you be more detailed & specific, so we can understand your concerns, & what you're saying?
Can you direct to these diaries you speak of, & what about moving a rock & losing a mine location?
Just wondering, if you have something to share, can you provide something to look at?
Thanks,

Crosse..............Go ahead and move Spanish markers. Take my advise or not........It makes no difference to me.

Crosse De Sign

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2013
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ~ TM800 ~
Primary Interest:
Other
Crosse..............Go ahead and move Spanish markers. Take my advise or not........It makes no difference to me.

I haven't moved any Spanish markers, have you?
May've turned a rock over to look at it, put back.
Comments with no follow up explanation aren't
much help if that's surely your objective. You
seem to be getting at something, so why
not just be nice enough to finish it?
Seen someone move a marker,
or read something? Come on
out if important & say it.
Thanks, for concern.

Last edited:

Phil

Dec 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't moved any Spanish markers, have you?
May've turned a rock over to look at it, put back.
Comments with no follow up explanation aren't
much help, if that's really your objective. You
seem to be getting at something, so why
not just be nice enough to finish it?
Seen someone move a marker,
or read something? Come on
out if important & say it.
Thanks, for concern.

My comment was directed at individual on the other thread who moved an Omega marker. I was vague because it does not help to rub salt into his wound, nor do I feel it necessary to publicly humiliate him

Crosse De Sign

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2013
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ~ TM800 ~
Primary Interest:
Other
My comment was directed at individual on the other thread who moved an Omega marker. I was vague because it does not help to rub salt into his wound, nor do I feel it necessary to publicly humiliate him

Thanks for clarification, still think if the place was used as a Western movie set,
they used dynamite & shook the place, if there's an aura, there's precious metals...
Sometimes only the cameras may know...

OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the comments. My apologies for being away so long but I get wrapped up in daily things and forget to check back on threads.

This "relic" is what's known as an Eccentric.

Many view claims of authentic eccentrics which are like the item claimed here as questionable.

Most authentic eccentrics are not as elaborate as this item.

Especially in Oklahoma. Where Mack Tussinger's flooded the collector market with eccentric relics.

I would be interested in seeing a photograph of this eccentric and not just a drawing, if a photo is available.

Thanks for posting this link. The one in the book was similar in style and shape to some of the images in the link, but not an exact match from what I could see.
There was a photo in the book and I tried to see if I could find an image off the internet but had no luck. That is why I listed the name of the person he got it from in case anyone was familiar with that individual.

I'm not sure if taking an image of the authors scorpion eccentric in his book is allowed. Can anyone let me know if it's is allowed and I'll take a picture and share it.

I'll post an image from my phone of the piece in the book tonight if I don't hear differently.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an image I took on my phone of the piece I sketched.

SteveYoungScorpionPiece-Pg25-2011Book-NativeAmericanTrailMarkerTreesByDennisDownes2.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions