Sign directions

goldguru

Aug 24, 2005
It's been a while since I've ventured onto T-net.
Seems most the old timer's have moved on from this world or are just no longer
present here for what ever reason.

been over 8 years myself since I've visited & I got thru reading Thoms 345 page post which I had participated in 2008.
I also realy enjoyed Sandy's walkthough.
That 1 & Twisted forks clock face post pic's along with Dsty's ramblings.
Sandy's final drawing made the light come on for me after reading a post by
Shortstack about the "De Re Metallica"
for those who have not read this it explains alot of whats missing & what most the old timers did not elaborate on.

seeing as there isn't much really happening anymore from Old Dog,Dsty & Desertmoons I thought i would put a faairly plain str8 forward view of how the
Bearing & distance markers work from the help posts I have read & watched other's ask questions about.

This is my perspctive on determining bearings & distances.
refer to many of Old Dog, Rangler,Dsty & others old post's for other hints.

So if I have it all wrong dont whine or complain I'm not interested
& likly neither is anyone else who reads it.
The whole idea is to maybe fill in some blanks were people are struggling with the WHY'S .

OP
OP
goldguru

goldguru

Aug 24, 2005
Compass with winds
(Excerpt from The Project Gutenberg EBook of De Re Metallica, by Georgius Agricola)

This eBook is for the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and with
almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or
re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included
with this eBook or online at Free eBooks | Project Gutenberg

Books 3&4 are definite reads this is very old circa 1540 or so,originally German but the basics are explained well most of the mining markings/language was greek & Latin which helps give insight to determine the layouts.

free read here
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/38015/38015-h/38015-h.htm#FNanchor_6_6

Now miners reckon as many points as the sailors do in reckoning up the number of the winds. Not only is this done to-day in this country, but it was also done by the Romans who in olden times gave the winds partly Latin names and partly names borrowed from the Greeks. Any miner who pleases may therefore call the directions of the veins by the names of the winds. There are four principal winds, as there are four cardinal points: the Subsolanus, which blows from the east; and its opposite the Favonius, which blows from the west; the latter is called by the Greeks Ζέφυρος, and the former ̓Απηλιώτης. There is the Auster, which blows from the south; and opposed to it is the Septentrio, from the north; the former the Greeks called Νότος, and the latter ̓Απαρκτίας. There are also subordinate winds, to the number of twenty, as there are directions, for between each two principal winds there are always five subordinate ones. Between the Subsolanus (east wind) and the Auster (south wind) there is the Ornithiae or the Bird wind, which has the first place next to the Subsolanus; then comes Caecias; then Eurus, which lies in the midway of these five; next comes Vulturnus; and lastly, Euronotus, nearest the Auster (south wind). The Greeks have given these names to all of these, with the exception of Vulturnus, but those who do not distinguish the winds in so precise a manner say this is the same as the Greeks called Εὖρος. Between the Auster (south wind) and the Favonius (west wind) is first Altanus, to the right of the Auster (south wind); then Libonotus; then Africus, which is the middle one of these five; after that comes Subvesperus; next Argestes, to the left of Favonius (west wind). All these, with the exception of Libonotus and Argestes, have Latin names; but Africus also is called by the Greeks Λίψ. In a similar manner, between Favonius (west wind) and Septentrio (north wind), first to the right of Favonius (west wind), is the Etesiae; then Circius; then Caurus, which is in the middle of these five; then Corus; and lastly Thrascias to the left of Septentrio (north wind). To all of these, except that of Caurus, the Greeks gave the names, and those who do not distinguish the winds by so exact a plan, assert that the wind which the Greeks called Κόρος and the Latins Caurus is one and the same. Again, between Septentrio (north wind) and the Subsolanus (east wind), the first to the right of Septentrio (north wind) is Gallicus; then Supernas; then Aquilo, which is the middle one of these five; next comes Boreas; and lastly Carbas, to the left of Subsolanus (east wind). Here again, those who do not consider the winds to be in so great a multitude, but say there are but twelve winds in all, or at the most fourteen, assert that the wind called by the Greeks Βορέας and the Latins Aquilo is one and the same. For our purpose it is not only useful to adopt this large number of winds, but even to double it, as the German sailors do. They always reckon that between each two there is one in the centre taken from both. By this method we also are able to signify the intermediate directions by means of the names of the winds. For instance, if a vein runs from VI east to VI west, it is said to proceed from Subsolanus (east wind) to Favonius (west wind); but one which proceeds from between V and VI of the east to between V and VI west is said to proceed out of the middle of Carbas and Subsolanus to between Argestes and Favonius; the remaining directions, and their intermediates are similarly designated. The miner, on account of the natural properties of a magnet, by which the needle points to the south, must fix the instrument already described so that east is to the left and west to the right.

So what we now have are the correct letters found on Omega mounuments which reflect the correct direction to apply the mounuments bearing.

OP
OP
goldguru

goldguru

Aug 24, 2005
24mark_compass.jpg pg 57 bearing.jpg pg 59

Latin/Greek

North = Septentrio/Νότος = S or N marking
South = Auster/Απαρκτίας = A marking
East = Subsolanus/Απηλιώτης = S or A marking
West = Ζέφυρος/Favonius = F marking

C,B,G,T,V markings refer to the above chapter.Things may get a lil tricky there & lots of head scracthing but there should be an obvious solution as well as perhaps false trails.

Now before you get to confused there is a method here
when moving to the 1st marker (position2) from your Omega It will be Obvious which A or S is being refered to.(possibly which C,B,G,T as well)
EG your line from Omega to position 2 you traveled true north therefore your Position 1 will not have a S,N or A upon it.for it would only make you go back or further ahead.
more about this later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
goldguru

goldguru

Aug 24, 2005
Angle of direction from Omega to position 2

1 dot/drill hole = 7.5 degree's
2 dots/drill holes =15 degree's
3 dots/drill hole's = 22.5 degree's
V = 30 degree's
VV = 60 degree's
higher would be add dot's upto 82.5 degree's.
I doubt they would mark above anyways.

so you have 2 drill holes & 1 V you leaave your Omega/Position2 @ a bearing
37.5 degree's now refer to the Letter on the Omega & you narrow it down to the direction you are intended to go.

EG you arrived at your Omega heading @ 360 degree's which is marked S or N,south is S or A
the omega is marked A.
So that leaves us with adding 37.6 degree's to East so we head off from the Omega @ 90 + 37.5 = 127.5 degree's to the next marker.

That is sort of a poor example for It would appear from posts by Dusty & Twisted Fork the goal is a 3,4,5 Right triangle here.

which is why he always says go 30,120,210 330 from there because he realized what options were available for a right triangle to work 3,4,5 = 30,60,90
not likly they are going to leave @ 90 degree's.

But we can certainly make a Right triangle from that bearing It would just not have used a portion of the incoming leg like in Twisted Forks drawing.

for the more complex locations & non right triangles then the Dots get incorporated & your triangle becomes more complex as well.

most who looked @ Twisted Forks compass clock post are scratching their heads like I was when you see where he has positioned his X for the cache & the mine.
Well picture in your head the differance between a Right triangle & an Equalateral triangle & then his drawing look's perfect.

the hypotenuse would go directly thru Both the cache & the mine.

Now you say your Omega is complicated, OK it may have 2 or more companion omega's (position2 for each),this will be a lil harder but if you read your Omega like a book from left to right you should be able to keep the directions seperated.

OP
OP
goldguru

goldguru

Aug 24, 2005
Omega to Position 2

this bearing to & fro will be the bearing which you add or subtract your direction from that are refered to on each positions2.

this is the main line of the site you are working ( as depicted in Twisted Forks drawing)
If something looks goofy once you've plotted a new direction then it's probably false & leading you astray.

Distance you ask
well once you've made it to position 2 I would guess the max distance would be as Dusty states most often 1/4 mile, 1300 ft, it will wholy be determined by terrain.
so lets figure it out from the above eample

heading out @ 127.5 degree's we dont know if we are on the base leg or the hypotenuse of the triangle untill we find our next marker.

at 500 feet we find the next marker (position3) on it is marked V & a letter (your choice here doesnt matter)
we can either ruen left or right 30 degree's one will take us back to our route from the Omega & the other will take us past position2 on the sites main bearing.
Back to our main line ,we have just traveled the hypotenuse,
If we go the other direction then we traveled the leg & are now enroute to the hypotenuse.

OP
OP
goldguru

goldguru

Aug 24, 2005
Letters @ position3
here's where it will get bad in a hurry if you are not settled in your thoughts.
when I said above the letter didnt matter that was for a basic Right triangle back to position2.

But becuase we left position2 @ an odd angle we are not going to return to our site main bearing.

Now the letter matters Chit.
ok we have a V & and another V
So we refer to the 24 bearing compass & the only V direction within 30 degree's is Vulturnus which tells us to make our 30 degree turn to the south.
Are we on a leg or the hypotenuse?
which did we just travel on?

Well lets see.we traveled 500 feet,so of that was the leg then the Hyp is 707 feet.
& the other leg being equal.
Hmmm well off we go @ 157.5 degree's we should hit a marker @ Max 707 ft

well we find 1 @ 350 feet so it was a leg & the hyp is 610 ft.

Hmmmm
that would put us back onto our main line again, not gonna work.
we need to recheck the 500 ft line for a descrete marker we missed (small).
here we go a small heart the size of a soft ball. 125 feet from the main line.

so now our 500ft line is 375 & the other is 350 our hyp is now 510 ft X marks the spot small heart.

now if this was a simple single position Omega then we could follow the Hyp back across our main line & locate the mine?

weekender

Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas-River Valley-Ft. Smith
Detector(s) used
Prism V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Letters @ position3
here's where it will get bad in a hurry if you are not settled in your thoughts.
when I said above the letter didnt matter that was for a basic Right triangle back to position2.

But becuase we left position2 @ an odd angle we are not going to return to our site main bearing.

Now the letter matters Chit.
ok we have a V & and another V
So we refer to the 24 bearing compass & the only V direction within 30 degree's is Vulturnus which tells us to make our 30 degree turn to the south.
Are we on a leg or the hypotenuse?
which did we just travel on?

Well lets see.we traveled 500 feet,so of that was the leg then the Hyp is 707 feet.
& the other leg being equal.
Hmmm well off we go @ 157.5 degree's we should hit a marker @ Max 707 ft

well we find 1 @ 350 feet so it was a leg & the hyp is 610 ft.

Hmmmm
that would put us back onto our main line again, not gonna work.
we need to recheck the 500 ft line for a descrete marker we missed (small).
here we go a small heart the size of a soft ball. 125 feet from the main line.

so now our 500ft line is 375 & the other is 350 our hyp is now 510 ft X marks the spot small heart.

now if this was a simple single position Omega then we could follow the Hyp back across our main line & locate the mine?

Gold Guru
Thanks for sharing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread