archmjr

Jan 24, 2005
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1270X/Whites 6000 & 5900 Di Pro SL/CZ-6a
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nana,

That is really interesting. Are you able to get some more pics? Take a closeup of the markings/imprssion and also of the plain surface. That should give most people who would know a crack at it.

Arch

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
Nana40, What are the other things found? Might help to have all the facts! To look at this rock, Looks as though when the rock was formed it made a cast by laying against something like a tree of the period ?

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies..... ;) I am in Alabama and the rocks are out in the woods on my property. I'll go back and take closer pictures.
Thanks
Nana :)

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok maybe this will help...

Nana

Attachments

• Apr23155.JPG
    Apr23155.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,093
N

nutso

Looks sort of like the marks left by a machine prior to paving a road. Could this rock have been moved to it's present location.

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nutso-- I don't think so. It's in the woods....
Nana

JACKOJohn Stanwix

Dec 20, 2004
HEAVEN
Nana-- here's a couple of things I saw. please the next picture take the shovel out of it, I think we're missing some info. Now the rock farthest up and to the left is asquared rock or heeart shaped can't tell, but it has signs (good) on the right side of it. also, it has a"V" cut out in center of edge behind the weeds. If you turn the picture upside down you'll see a face I outlined look at the original the same way and you can see the grayish part of an eye and a black circle. It's like wearing helmet and only seeing the eye. You have a nose and mouth also.
OH, I almost forgot, those little dents--- some are in a heart shape, otheres diamond. You'll need a magnifying glass, but look at each one closely. some have markings in them and the only way is with a Mag. glass. those rocks were put in that shape for some reason. Notice the triangle I have marked. it has 4 dots (if I remembered right) see if these rocks you have are in the same position?? oNe looks like a heart,

Jacko

Attachments

• nana 2.jpg
    nana 2.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 719
OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jacko--Thanks for your reply....I take it you think they are man made.....I'm going to have to go back and give those rocks another look!
Nana

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Yep fossil tree imprint -Note the diamond shaped impressions similar to the photo I provided in my last post.
Before you venture too widely out there in possibilities please note that the OTHER rock has a tree imprint on it's upper top similar to the main rock. Of course you could say it is a motorcycle tire? impression made by a dinosaur on a dirt bike or just another fossil tree impression.

You might show the photo to a paleo guy at a geology department at a university- They might want to have a large specimen like this. If you could cut it out(what a chore) I wonder how much it would sell on E-bay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3219&item=6525645226&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

George

JACKOJohn Stanwix

Dec 20, 2004
HEAVEN
? Nana--- I took a close look at Bakergeol's picture he posted. His triangles of tree are all uniform and same shape. Then I compared it to your picture, your has different shapes and not uniform and not close together like the fossil tree. Maybe it's a baby tree not formed yet. who knows until further inspection. Hell, you may have found a treasure, And didn't know it. It might go for big bucks on the e-bay.
BUT, If it is fossil then it was there long before any humans, so they still could have used it as a marker. I am sure they never thought about those rocks being fossilized. hehe
The tree, that I marked loos to be full grown, with big roots. You might look around for a tree in the area that could be the same. It looks to have been broke off some ways up. so I'd look for a tree that's only half a tree.? Good luck either at the museum-- e-bey or your hunt.

? ?Jacko NOW-- Jacko's really gone looney ::) ::)

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...I really wasn't looking to sell it....It just really caught me by suprise when I found it and I thought it was such a fantastic find...but I didn't know what to make of it. I'm just glad I did see them. There are rocks all over in the woods and most are covered by leaves and you don't even know they are there unless you stumble over them! But these were sticking out above the leaves and I just had to dig them out to see how far down the pattern went.
Nana :)

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
Maybe it is a grave spot and this is a marker stone..maybe some one has gold hidden down there or it is a marking spot for stolen money?I would metal detect the whole area.
This also reminds me of a vegetable hand grinder tool..maybe it was used for grinding/cleaning by indians?

searcher

Oct 4, 2004
Hill Country TEXAS
Detector(s) used
White's. Old, yellow but still waterproof!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kinda looks like the rock on the right should fit into the big rock and complete that side of the design. almost looks like it was used to grind on or wash clothes(lol) on...
interested and wondering searcher

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HAHA! :D I never thought of that! Guess I'll have a back-up if my washing machine breaks, and lucky me the rock is close to a creek! The rock to the right does belong with the other one....I don't know how they ended up like they did.?

I am, have, and will detect all that I can with what I have. I don't have an expensive MD :-\ ...and I have found a few things, but not the money! HAHA! ;D

Nana

JACKOJohn Stanwix

Dec 20, 2004
HEAVEN
Nana--- When I first started looking for nuggets, I rented a GM4b (whites) and found my first two nuggets with it. If there is a place that sells detectors, see if you can rent one. Here in AZ land, One store charged $35 a day WOW and another that I rented from was only $15 a day, which the nuggets paid for. You'll need a bigger coil than the 8X10, they only go down about a foot. Ask the people at store and tell them you want to go maybe 5-8 ft. down. If they have something that will go 3 ft. that might do it cause gold puts off an ora or aura, I don't know what it's called. anyway it might pick up soething big two more ft away.

? ? Jacko

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jacko--- That's an idea....maybe I will do that.....I think first it would benefit me to try and clear what is fast becoming a "jungle" out there. It is very irritating trying to keep the honeysuckle and briars at bay.... My little trails are dwindling away! :-[
Nana ;)

tammahawk

Mar 8, 2005
hey guys wasup ,the stones you have appear to have been reinforced concrete at one time they used to put a diamond shaped steal mesh on the ground before pouring the concrete and it can leave that kind of pattern , and can set off your metal detector if there piesces inside of the stone,but it does look like rock and not concrete, goes to show you dont ever know? ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread