Text carved on stone found in Arkansas . . . Kanji?

S

Smee

I have posted this in the "What is it" portion of the forum, and got a couple of suggestions that I also post it here, since there are persons here who are probably familiar with the language as they are researching the Yama-s-hita treasure.

This piece of stone was found in Ashley County, Arkansas. Some at this forum have told me the characters were made by worms, some believe that they are not natural. I don't think they are natural, but hand carved.

During WWII, there was a rather large "Japanese Internment Camp" located in the northeastern corner of the county. Some of the "residents" were allowed to work off site, under guard of course. This was found in that part of the county, in a field. It has been plowed over and under for many years. It appears to have at one time been part of a larger piece, but after being broken, someone smoothed the edges. The rough chips from modern farming equipment.

Some of the symbols I have found while doing research into Japanese Kanji and Chinese characters. I would like to know what this says, and an approximate age.

The photo shows the actual color of the stone, but the script has been chalked over.

chalkedrock01.jpg

Thank you in advance for any and all assistance.

Attachments

• chalkedrock01.jpg
    chalkedrock01.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 696

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Smee,

Here is your photo after I worked on it some.
I inverted the colors to make a nrgative and it became a bit easier to read.

Hope this helps some.

Attachments

• Script on stone.jpg
    Script on stone.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 697
OP
OP
S

Smee

Old Dog said:
Smee,

Here is your photo after I worked on it some.
I inverted the colors to make a nrgative and it became a bit easier to read.

Hope this helps some.

Thanks OD. Nice job on the picture.

djui5 said:
That's quite old!!
Jeesh.

I'm hoping so . . . here's a link to the original post: CLICK HERE

This was found in Ashley County, Arkansas . . . There was a WWII Japanese Relocation camp on the eastern end of the county. The workers were allowed to work in the fields (with armed supervision, of course) and my employer's son said some of them even worked on the railroad tracks that pass through that end of the county.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Smee,

I have done the same to your other picture.
Hopefully it brings up the carving on top to some degree.

Attachments

• Stone script 2.jpg
    Stone script 2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 668

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions