KGC Cherokee Link?

10pan

Nov 21, 2007
North GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer, GP Ext. , CTX 3030, Whites Spectrum XLT, DFX , Discovery TF 900, Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been hunting gold and silver caches left by the Cherokee just before their removal for the last 20+ yrs. They left signs to some of these caches on the trees and rocks as well as waybills. We have had some success with what we call "single deposits" (single family's treasure as opposed to a large groups treasure) . Since joining Tnet I have noticed alot of similarities between the KGC and the Cherokee symbols. Does anyone know of any connection between the two ? I know that some of the Cherokee families that stayed behind fought for the south during the war. Is there any history of the KGC in the North Georgia mountains ?

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Look up John Ross and the Kee-to-wah (spelling?). Also, not just the Cherokee were involved. Look up Albert Pike and his occupation concerning the Native Americans. Also, look up the inventor of the cherokee syllabury and his genealogy...as related to Jo Shelby, I believe (could be wrong on this one, don't have my notes in front of me). All of these leads interconnect and also have to do with northern Georgia, esp. Dahlonega (spelling?)

Would you mind posting a pic or two of your successes?

Thanks,
Cavers5

Aufinder01

Jan 13, 2006
The other bit of history thats a total unknown is that theTemplars left North Africa in 1375 in 130 ships never to be seen again.
You find bits carved around that don't seem very Indian, I wonder at the posibilitys.
Other things too, like De Soto finding GOLD BARS. Who told these stoneage Indians that these were something? Where did they get them?

Aufinder01

OP
OP

10pan

Nov 21, 2007
North GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer, GP Ext. , CTX 3030, Whites Spectrum XLT, DFX , Discovery TF 900, Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your replies. Sounds like some interesting research. Georgia has some strict laws on disturbing anything Native American and "some success" can be broadly defined. Maybe I'm just paranoid!!!! Have you read the replies to "Large Stash of Gold" post in the Cache Hunting column? What are your thoughts on it ?

Tim

Greenie
Aug 14, 2007
Detector(s) used
2 Copper Wires
I found a buried clay pot in North Georgia. The gold was flour gold or gold dust in the pot. Metal detectors don't work well with gold dust. You have to read the trees. A lot of looking & digging involved. Really just luck finding it. Tim

Tim

Greenie
Aug 14, 2007
Detector(s) used
2 Copper Wires
Also so many of the older trees are gone now. I have found a few old beech trees that look like they have Indian carvings. One has a hand that looks like it is holding a hand full of arrows. Another has a bird standing on what looks like a duck & a third tree has a large eye looking west with 2 tear drops falling below the eye & a face that looks like how the cherokee use to draw themselves (I found pictures in books). It's real sad to look at. I have found many large Post Oak & White Oak trees that are bent in very strange ways that I guess are marking lines or trails. They say White Oak Trees can live for several hundred years. Also beech trees can live several hundred years too. I have found so many carved rocks too. Some as big as a 55 gallon barrel shaped like a boot, diamond or arrow. Usually several of these rocks together. The more you look the more you see. I can return to a spot several months later & see more marking because you become so in tune to what you are doing. many people can't even notice what you are seeing .
i was always wondering just who carved the rocks. I know the Cherokee & others did much of the work. When I dig I find beautiful carved rocks deep in the ground. Also walking streams you find the carved rocks sticking out of the dirt banks of the stream. But a month ago I was following a line of metal & bent trees & came to an area with many carved stones laying around. My metal detector found a large hammer head (Masonic type hammer on one side & sharp edge for cutting stone on the other side), a 6 inch heavy metal chesiel, a broken axe head & a plow or cultivator wing (shaped like a masonic square). They all were very dulled down from heavy use cutting stone. So that proves the cherokee & modern (Masonic) man both were carving these rocks. The Cherokee & KGC are all mixed together. Tim

Attachments

• ancient beech 058.jpg
    ancient beech 058.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 1,626

emtrescue

Dec 26, 2007
Church Hill, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Ok, I've got a ridiculous (i think) question about the tree markings, etc. Wouldn't the carvings, etc go up over time? - I mean anyone that has put a fence up and stapled it to a tree, the fence eventually rose upward. ( this is how to look for old fencelines in trees - Look up.) So I would figure the carving would go up over time also, but I dont know that's why I'm asking.

The other day while out exploring some I found a perfectly carved heart in a tree - but it was 9 feet in the air. I had my son with me so I didn't explore it any further, but it did intrigue me. This is what made me wonder about the tree carvings next to the ground.

Just wondering, and thanks.

Tim

Greenie
Aug 14, 2007
Detector(s) used
2 Copper Wires
The fence does not go up the tree as the tree ages. It does stay down where the fence was first attached to the tree. It seems it would go up the tree. I have more pictures but they are to large for the site. I'm trying to down size the photos. Tim

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
;D 8) (SUNNY out...); re. "height" of carvings on trees/"rocks"... it is either "man-high" or "horse & rider high"... THAT should ALSO "date" it (like 1803... 1865... 1875... etc.). ;)

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Now, I have seen trees that have the ridged circles in them UP HIGH where old fence lines used to be.

Cavers5

Tim

Greenie
Aug 14, 2007
Detector(s) used
2 Copper Wires
I have read that the bent tree limbs high in the trees were bent when the trees were very young. They were to be viewed from very far away & from horse back. The tree was maybe 5 foot high when it was bent in the top of the young tree. I have many old fence lines (75 years +) on my farm and they all are still no more than 4 foot high from the ground. I visited Indian Springs in Georgia & all the old tree markings were still eye level 5 foot from the ground. It seems like marking & fences would travel higher in the tree as the tree ages. I remember my grandfather sawing lumber with his sawmill. He was always affraid of the bottom of some trees because of old fences & nails. Sometimes he would cut off the first 5 foot of the tree to avoid sawing into metal which would damage his saw blade. Maybe there are certain types of trees that do grow a different way. Mother Nature is a very incredible lady. Thanks, Tim

scsomike

Greenie
Feb 29, 2008
Ellendale, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
it is also said that slaves and native americans were used for labor in hiding caches.. could be a relation there as well.

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
How a tree grows and who carved the trees.

Not from the bottom

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/forsite/howdoes.htm

Forest Wade author of Cry of the Eagle:

"Cherokee's before their removal carved the trees. They constructed a secret tunnel for the purpose of hiding all the treasured wealth of each Indian family of their tribes. Most all family heads were in agreement with the decision of the chiefs, members of the various groups took turns watching and working so that no white man might stumble upon them and learn their most treasured secret.

Each tribe became active in a great network of sign trails over some 250,000 acres of land. The Indian families using their ancient symbols that only the Indian could read. They created sign trails by carving symbols on trees that were normally long lived, and on rocks by using hammers and steel carving tools. They formed small trees (saplings) into various shapes. Hundreds of symbolic rock heaps were formed over the area. This was necessary to keep their treasure safe from the white man.

Most of the work was done during the night hours several years before the removal 1836-37.

In the summer of 1909 some 80 Cherokee had returned at long last to recover their rightfull inheritance by their ancestors. They returned with maps and recovered 25 deposits of $241,080.00 in gold. The hidden tunnel served its purpose and kept the Indians gold and other valuables safe from the white man for almost a century".

BTR

Miner49er

May 16, 2007
I was born and raised in Alabama, my mother's people were decended from Cherokee and pioneers. Most lived in the Black Warrior River area. I am now 69 years old, and far removed from Ala. I remember going to a farm near to one of my relatives place, and was shown a huge tree with a turkey carved in it. There was an arrow carved in the body of the turkey pointing down to the right at the ground. My uncle told me this story. When he was younger, some of our family was at this farm to help with a particular chore. My uncle noticed two Cherokee men walking in the road towards a field where he was standing. They greeted each other, and the men asked my uncle if he had ever seen a tree with a turkey carved in it at this farm. He said that he had, and gave them directions to the large tree which was some distance from the field in which he was standing. He thought nothing of this at the time, and did not bother with looking at the tree for sometime. Later, while squirrel hunting, he happened to pass the tree with the turkey carving. Off to the right was a large hole that had been dug to about four feet. I often wondered what could have been buried there by indians, as we associated them with great poverty.
Bill

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Now, that's a great story. Maybe you could publish that one in one of the treasure magazines!

Uhh, but before you do...make another trip back to AL and look around that area first! There may be more treasure buried in that area!

Cavers5

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions