• 3arrows.JPG
    3arrows.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 1,047

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
Nana, I might be all wet, but we have to start someplace! RIGHT! To me it looks as the marks could be halfway marks. = Fill in the other half of marks. Then what do you see? 3- Xs, 5-lengths. Stand in front of mark with compass close to mark on tree and get bearing on line. - 3-Xs=30, Feet? 5 lengths, = 5 times 30 = 150-Feet? if halfway, then 300 feet? check and see if you can locate any other marks at end of distance.
It maybe just a rock. Marked or not. Check spot well, No mark or treasure. Then it may be spot for a 90 degree turn. For 150/300 Feet?
How do I see a possible 90degree turn? = The X has a bar running through it one way and one way nothing? Fill in missing bar for direction.
I probably gave you more then you asked for, but it should get your mind working. Have Fun!

10pan

Nov 21, 2007
North GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer, GP Ext. , CTX 3030, Whites Spectrum XLT, DFX , Discovery TF 900, Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's almost impossible to interpet a beech tree sign from a drawing. There are usually small details in the carving that mean a great deal. The rattle snake tree is Cherokee and a good one to come across. You need to get pictures of the writting on the side of the tree. Even though they appear to be only initials or other graffiti , they are telling you alot more. There should be a date on one of the trees. Look for a small circle or knot in front of the rattle snake or in the direction he is crawling on the tree. Good Luck!

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mind is working, Monk! :D I might have to do overtime on this one! :D Thanks for the info,ya'll! I'll try to get back out there and get some pictures of the tree. After looking up 'Arborglyphs' I realized that I should make an effort to photo all the neat carvings I come across in the woods.

Thanks again! Nana :)

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Hi Nana,

I'll bet there is more on this tree, but these arrows may be directing you in the direction to follow.
Three arrows is significant, so your distance will be in a multiple of three.
Try taking a compass reading at the tree to get a solid direction of travel.
Best I can do without a photo.
Hope it helps.
Happy New Year !

Thom

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
Hi Nana,

Hey girl...get out there with a camera, and let us see what you've got! ;D

If you beat me to some buried treasure....you're going to see an old man cry though ;) :D ;D

I hope you find something good :)

TW

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK you guys....It was a balmy 28 degrees today and I had a few minutes to get back and take those pictures I promised. I drug Charlie and a couple of friends all over the mountain side to see what I had found. :D It was fun getting out but DANG it was cold! Before getting to the arrow tree I came across another tree with an interesting carving so I thought I'd throw it into the mix as well. I didn't have a compass with me but I took the pics from the southwest looking northeast.

Here's the picture of the three arrow tree...I darkened some of these photos so's you could get a better look see...

100_0497.jpg

100_0490.jpg

Now..here's a couple of pictures of the marking I found today..this tree is just down from the other one..

100_0492.jpg

100_0494.jpg

Thanks!! Nana :)

possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & Ace 250, White's DFX, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monk said:
Nana, I might be all wet, but we have to start someplace! RIGHT! To me it looks as the marks could be halfway marks. = Fill in the other half of marks. Then what do you see? 3- Xs, 5-lengths. Stand in front of mark with compass close to mark on tree and get bearing on line. - 3-Xs=30, Feet? 5 lengths, = 5 times 30 = 150-Feet? if halfway, then 300 feet? check and see if you can locate any other marks at end of distance.
It maybe just a rock. Marked or not. Check spot well, No mark or treasure. Then it may be spot for a 90 degree turn. For 150/300 Feet?
How do I see a possible 90degree turn? = The X has a bar running through it one way and one way nothing? Fill in missing bar for direction.
I probably gave you more then you asked for, but it should get your mind working. Have Fun!

Hey Nana,
Good luck finding the meaning of your signs. Check esutherland2001 post .
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,135852.0/topicseen.html

Monk, Could the 3 Xs in esutherland2001 post be what you are describing or are they to big?

Thanks for sharing Nana.
Ed

P.S. If you and some folks are up for hunting that old church area I posted a while back let me know and we'll set a date.
Ed

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the link, Possum! I'll check it out. :) And thanks for the invite! I'm ready when you are, and I bet I won't have to twist DiggerBug's arm too much either. :D
Thanks!
Nana :)

Itburnsus

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2007
Four Corners, Colorado
Detector(s) used
White's Goldmaster V/sat
Nana, I'm not to familiar with eastern/southern signs and symbols, but what if they were actually turkey tracks leading DOWN the tree, rather than up? The 2 adjoined arrows with "water" underneath them COULD be telling you to walk towards a river/wash rather than away. Water/reversed image? Just a thought...

possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & Ace 250, White's DFX, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Itburnsus said:
Nana, I'm not to familiar with eastern/southern signs and symbols, but what if they were actually turkey tracks leading DOWN the tree, rather than up? The 2 adjoined arrows with "water" underneath them COULD be telling you to walk towards a river/wash rather than away. Water/reversed image? Just a thought...

Some trails here in Alabama are marked with turkey tracks. It's very common to use them however they are usually turned the other way but anything is possible. Someone is definitely trying to show Nana the way to something. :D

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Thanks Nana,
In your first picture....
I really don't think they are turkey tracks.
The back toe is consistently missing in these.

in the second picture....
Nana has run into snake signs before out there.
On the other tree is that small bottom sign a snake rather than a water sign?
I don't mean to play a devil's advocate here it is just that all the water signs I have seen were longer.

Just throwing out suggestions.

Hey Nana, is there some way you could give us a size relationship to your second sign?
seems awfully small in the picture.

As far as the first sign goes... I stay with my original description.

Thom
OD

point hunter

Feb 1, 2007
West Monroe, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI 2500
Hi,
Based on what little I've learned/seen in the field, the snake/water sign is an indication of direction of travel. When facing the sign, I would first travel to the left of it. When you say the sign is "just down" from the "3 arrow tree" I assume you mean down hill. When looking at your first pic of the "arrow tree" that you have posted, it looks like the hill comes to a point, just past the tree. I would work that hill/ridge checking every beech tree for carvings. I have walked as far as 1/2 a mile before finding the next sign. On one occasion, the distance was 3-4 miles. Also look for hoot owl trees, along the ridge line. They could indicate a change in direction of travel.
When looking at the beech trees, be sure and check not only the truck but the limbs too. I have found one tree with a large owl carved on it low to the ground. But about 20 to 25 feet up on a big limb is a long snake carving about 4-5 foot long.
One thing we don't have here is a lot of large rock, which I notice in your pics. As I'm sure you know, also look for carvings on rocks or unusual rock placements.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Point Hunter,

The Snake is always a directional marker.
It also advises caution along the way.
The water sign is telling you to go to water.
It is almost always used in conjunction with another sign telling you to cross or travel along that water source with a direction indicated with the water sign or along the way somewhere.

Two entirely different signs and meanings.
Easily confused if the signs are small.

Thom
OD

point hunter

Feb 1, 2007
West Monroe, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI 2500
Thom,

I agree totally with what you said. I've been seeing similar signs as the one in the second pic. In my mind, I just called them "squiggles". It helps me that you've given them a name. They seem to be an indication of direction to travel. They are usually very small, 2-3 inches in length. The ones I've seen in the field are alone, not next to another carving like Nana's pic shows. I appreciate all information your willing to share that proves to be true in the field. Your posts are very informative and help those of us that are serious about tracking signs.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Point Hunter,

Thatis really why I come to these pages, to help and ty to give an accurate interpretation to signs and symbols.

A water symbol is at least one wave longer than the snake sign shown and will be more even.
the snake as shown here is a bit more stunted and fat. it also has a head that tells the direction of travel.

But the sign above the snake i would truly like to see a little closer with some sort of size reference.
it could mean a lot more than just travel in that direction.it would also help to know how far it is off the ground.

Point Hunter,
If you have signs like these I would enjoy seeing them.
I really love this stuff.

Thanks for the kind words

Thom,
OD

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Thanks you guys for the replies!

And now for the difficult part.. :D You want me to remember how high and what size? :P :D Let's see...I'd guess that the snake/squiggle is maybe the size of my hand...probably a little smaller...and seems it was about eye level...so...5 feet or so? I don't have a clue on most all these signs either, but I like to share them when I see them along the way and I may just learn a thing or two. ;) I think my favorite carving I have found is still the 'X' rock.

Thanks again, ya'll. :) Nana

point hunter

Feb 1, 2007
West Monroe, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI 2500
My hard drive crashed on my computer not long ago, and I lost all my pics. If I can remember where I found some of the "snake" directional carvings, I'll go back and get some pics. I mainly concentrated on locating actual carving sites. I'm new at this, and have only located a handful of sites over about 20 or 30 square miles. I was mainly covering large areas pretty quickly, using hoot owl trees and directional trees to narrow down the search area. Once you figure out the pattern, it gets somewhat simpler to find them.
Most of the pictures I have now are of the actual carving sites. I have some posted in the KGC section here on the forum if your interested. My problem now is trying to figure out how the read the carvings at the sites. That is why I truly appreciate when you or someone else posts real information that can be proven in the field. Any clue no matter how small sometimes makes all the difference.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Point hunter,
I am experiencing the same thing right now. (a crash)

Fortunately I have backed up all my stuff with disks.
It will be some time before I figure out how much I have actually lost.
It is a company computer and is new so it is under warranty,
but it was loaded with a lot of concurrent and associated info on a project my partner and I were working on .
If that info is lost we start over.

Oh well
I like to walk the desert.
I also have the hand written notes so it won' be too bad.

I look forward to your pictures when you have the time.

Thom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread