Indian carving or treasure map?

DirkSears

Jan 14, 2008
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites M6 - Standard coil & Super 12
I know a place where there is a carving in the face of a rock that depicts a Indian hunting a turkey. The Indian is on the right of the carving, then there is 3 arrows ( -> -> -> ) in the middle, then the turkey is on the left. It appears that there is 3 sticks or lines under the carving. There is a sun positioned above the Indian at about the 10 o'clock position. The rock that it is carved on is about 6ft tall and about 4ft wide, in a heavily wooded, lots of hills, with a marsh nearby.

I've not seen it myself, just seen a drawing of it. I hope to go soon and get a picture of it.

The people that have seen it say that the Indians used it to tell other Indians when the Turkey come through (position of sun) and how hard it was to hunt them (3 arrows).

What do you think? Could it be a treasure locator's or something besides hunting info? Have you seen anything like this?

OP
OP
DirkSears

DirkSears

Jan 14, 2008
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Oops, I meant to say that the Indian is on the left of the carving and the turkey is on the right.

spiffyman

Nov 22, 2007
Walker County Ga.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
i have a book with some pics and stuff in it, when you post the pic, i would be more than happy to look it up for you.

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like a legit Indian carving to me.

tammahawk

Mar 8, 2005
hi dirk would love to see a photo, we have a pipe smoking indian on our site, get a shot and repost, if its on a rock make sure you get the whole rock in the shot, Tammahawk

OP
OP
DirkSears

DirkSears

Jan 14, 2008
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Here are some pictures of the Indian carving. The carving is a lot different from the way it was described to me and the way I described it in the original post. The rock was really wet from the ground thawing above it and with the angle of the sun, it made it really hard to photograph it. I tried to outline the carving in one of the pictures as to give you an idea of what it looks like. Basically there is an Indian head with two feathers coming out of the top of his head, a bow and arrow pointed away from his face, a spear below his head pointed in the opposite direction (spear points into a hole), then there are some squigely (sp) lines below and to the left. I couldn't make out the 3 arrows pointing towards a turkey that was described to me. I will be going back to get better pictures now that I know the location.

Attachments

• Indian 1.jpg
    Indian 1.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 796
  • Indian 2.jpg
    Indian 2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 768
  • Indian 3.jpg
    Indian 3.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 912
OP
OP
DirkSears

DirkSears

Jan 14, 2008
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
More pics

Attachments

• Indian 4.jpg
    Indian 4.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 732
  • Indian 5.jpg
    Indian 5.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 704
  • Indian 6.jpg
    Indian 6.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 774
OP
OP
DirkSears

DirkSears

Jan 14, 2008
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Bigger pic of the area. I circled where the carving is at.

Attachments

• Indian 7.jpg
    Indian 7.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 737
OP
OP
DirkSears

DirkSears

Jan 14, 2008
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Here is an untouched pic if you can make it out.

Attachments

• Indian 8.jpg
    Indian 8.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 808
OP
OP
DirkSears

DirkSears

Jan 14, 2008
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Oh yeah, I haven't detected the area yet. I plan on that towards spring.

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
Very interesting pics . I don't know anything about carvings , treasure markers ect , but indians liked to camp under rock overhangs like the one in the big pic .

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Dirk,
Are you wetting down the stones before taking the photos?

Don't do it . an old story

Wet only the grove of the carving and then blow some baby powder into the thing.
Much easier and you only see what is there.

I have no opinion other than that

SORRY !

Great pix otherwise.

Thom

Saddam

Oct 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a place where there is a carving in the face of a rock that depicts a Indian hunting a turkey. The Indian is on the right of the carving, then there is 3 arrows ( -> -> -> ) in the middle, then the turkey is on the left. It appears that there is 3 sticks or lines under the carving. There is a sun positioned above the Indian at about the 10 o'clock position. The rock that it is carved on is about 6ft tall and about 4ft wide, in a heavily wooded, lots of hills, with a marsh nearby.

I've not seen it myself, just seen a drawing of it. I hope to go soon and get a picture of it.

The people that have seen it say that the Indians used it to tell other Indians when the Turkey come through (position of sun) and how hard it was to hunt them (3 arrows).

What do you think? Could it be a treasure locator's or something besides hunting info? Have you seen anything like this?

IMG_0786.JPG

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saddam, p!ease don't hijack Dirk's thread.

January 20, 2017 A New Beginning!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread