Does v y y mean anything?

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Sue,

I'm not trying to deter you or discourage you.

I have said many times to triple check all the indicators before you dig
Now you begin to understand why.
These holes are a lot of work and a dry one is very discouraging.
Don't give up. Just make sure.

Thom

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Hi,

There should be more clues on the trees in that area. Keep looking before you dig!

Good luck!

Cavers5

OP
OP
bluestem

bluestem

Jun 11, 2007
Thom, that's why I decided to ask about the letters, even though it made me nervous. The digging is hard around here. I really appreciate all the help.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Once you get past the hard pack on top,
Digging should go pretty easy.

But you have to find it first !
In that I wish you the best.
Have fun doing it, enjoy the time you spend.
Take a million photos. when it is too hot or cold or just plain nasty out,
you have it with you in your pictures.

Have fun,
If you can do that,
You found a treasure few folks find.
And it is tax free.

Thom

OP
OP
bluestem

bluestem

Jun 11, 2007
Hi Thom,

The digging stays hard here. Very rocky, and either caliche or clay. But I can often be found digging in it anyway. Well, picking away at it usually. And I love to wander around and take pictures of random things on my property. They're never as interesting on film, though. It sounds like you and would get along beautifully. I'm glad we "met."

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Sue,

I have found these kind of diggs very educational.
The Spanish would as a matter of course throw all traces of their passing in the hole as fill.
You will know you are on the right spot when you start finding the old coals and ashes from their fires.
They really did hide their passing well and this is how they did it.

Thom

OP
OP
bluestem

bluestem

Jun 11, 2007
Update: In addition to this rock, there is cross carved in a tree directly behind it. The top bends over a bit. Next to that tree is an imprint of a horseshoe, complete with nail holes. It points in the same direction as the top of the cross. They both point in the same direction as the bottom of the Y's, assuming they aren't pointing down into the ground.

I was just reading a local history account written about 100 years ago. It briefly mentioned that when the closest town was settled, people reopened and worked some old mines in an area that's about 2 miles from me. My markers point right at it. It's all on private property. I haven't found anything that seems related on my property. It didn't say what they were mining or anything about the origins of the mines.

So, I assume this was a trail marker to the nearby mines. I still wonder what v y y means. I know there were some Spanish mines in a neighboring county. I only know the general area of those mines, but this seems like it would be along the way between the 2 areas.

OP
OP
bluestem

bluestem

Jun 11, 2007
You mean a metal stick? It's very rocky. I don't think that will work.

I was just thinking how nice it is to have this mystery in the first place. I've been very blessed to have this property.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread