djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those are all Indian markings :) Looks like somewhere in Central Arizona.

OP
OP
hazard1982

hazard1982

Feb 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett infinium, GMT
Yeah they are located in central AZ
but does anyone know some of the meanings? the reason I ask is because the area is very well knowen for its gold ect....
and it would be nice to know what this guy was writing about.
thanx.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Not all are indian.
A lot of Spanish mixed in.

Most are directional markers, but you have a few that are definitly trail symbols

Thom

OP
OP
hazard1982

hazard1982

Feb 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett infinium, GMT
Thanx for the link. ;D

And can some one help me discern which symbols are spanish and the meanings?

Thanx.

VICTORIO

Jun 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Pulse Star II & Whites TM808
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a Possible Cross, A Horse shoe, and the Lazy " 8 ". Am I somewhat correct Olddog.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Directional snakes, arrows, a coiled snake telling you to go downslope and around to the next marker.
Several horseshoes, a couple desert markers and a hazzard warning through out.
As well as the marks you mentioned.
There is also a natural crack incorporated into one of the arrows that could show the actual path of the trail.

Thom

cielosauce

Tenderfoot
Apr 13, 2008
There are no Spanish symbols here that I can find, however I'm not infallible in that regard.

The central spiral that is followed by a long tail seems to indicate that if you "go upstream starting to the side, you'll end up above a short distance within grasping reach" but that is a paraphrase and subject to modification upon site inspection. The short distance is indicated by the human figure just above the end of the water stream tail.

Just above that to the left a little bit appears to indicate veering to the left and there will be an easy route. Or the way to the direct left (as indicated by the symbol to it's left) is clear and "easy" as indicated by the two roughly parallel lines.

Then another way or path leading downward (the spiral just above the "easy, clear, nothing on it" sign).

The antelope figure in the lower right hand side seems to indicate that the way to the right is down and "clear" but the tail indicates that there is something behind or "not good". Could indicate a steep path that is clear but watch for falling rocks(?).

The human figure at the bottom of the rock of the first photo is unclear but seems to be standing (hungry) a distance away at the bottom (perhaps of a nearby canyon?). But he's unclear and if possible I'd like to look at a photo of him in detail.

The two arrowheads facing one another on another of the photos indicate peace.

And there's a lot more there that would take time to decipher, but for what it's worth that's a sample of what it seems to say. If you've been around the area then some of what I have written here may have some meaning or it could be that I'm way off!

Oh and the just below the uppermost symbol that seems to be smudged caught my eye as it is very interesting. I wish that your detailed second photo extended as far up as the first as there is something very intriguing going on in that area. Could be indicative of something they were interested in concealing or "holding firm".

All in all a very interesting work that seems to have been added to by another "writer" as indicated by some incisions on the upper left.

cielosauce

Tenderfoot
Apr 13, 2008
Oh one more thing,

The two arrowheads usually mean "war" if they're pointing at one another at the tips as those are in your photo. However when they are tilted as it is in your photo, it means "peace" or "waiting for war" to possibly resume. Ha! They were subtle!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread