OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Hoosier,
I am always honored when a member puts his very first post in these pages.
Welcome to T-Net ...
and welcome to the fun.

There is a member that puts aside his vacation time to chase the Lost Dutchman in Arizona.
This doesn't sound like an over extension, until you find out the guy is from Chicago.
So never count your self out my new friend.

I look forward to your comments and questions.
But even more to the stuff you will post when you get going.

Thom

HOOSIERau

Jan 5, 2011
IN
The honor is mine, Thom !

I feel like you are a friend already. A kind, wise, and knowledgeable man you are. I have a friend that lives near Ogden, Utah that might get me to visit for a few weeks this summer. I am seeing hearts, turtles, sevens, triangles, and hoyas in my potato salad as of late ! I think I have the fever :)

Hoosier

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Have as of late been a bit too disoriented to comment much.
Am recovering from a nice bit of surgery myself.
Hope this will be resolved by next week and I will be back at the rat races by then.
Thanks everyone for all your patience.

Thom

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Ya Thom... hurry up man. Heal faster!

LOL, you're funny, thanking us for being patient while you recoup from surgery. Sheesh..

Hope all is well bro.

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Yes all is well,
I am kind of excited as I mow my way through all the things I haven't been able to eat for a couple years.
My next and hopefully my last (for a while) Dr appt. is next week and I am hoping he will release me to go back to work.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Old Dog said:
Yes all is well,
I am kind of excited as I mow my way through all the things I haven't been able to eat for a couple years.
My next and hopefully my last (for a while) Dr appt. is next week and I am hoping he will release me to go back to work.

thom glad your doing better,dont go overboard, with the eats, your
system will rebel
a pic of some things i see in heartquest post,is that a date and were
dates left as signs

heartquest post
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,149002.msg2642731.html#msg2642731

Attachments

• heartrocksmer.jpg
    heartrocksmer.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 834
OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
I have taken and modified CW's alteration to show a combination sign.
The first illistration I show in the white lower right corner is the sign for "feet"
The second (just below the feet sign) is the sign for 1000.

The combination of those two signs (in the circle) would indicate 1000 Spanish feet.

Attachments

• heartrocksmer A.jpg
    heartrocksmer A.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 840

weekender

Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas-River Valley-Ft. Smith
Detector(s) used
Prism V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Dog,
Does the "v" notch cut into the rock on the left side of
the heart figure into the trail or direction? It also looks
like it was placed and vaguely resembles a heart also.

BTW,The interpretation was awesome, talk about being
in plain sight and not seeing it for what it is.
-Weekender

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Just after Christmas I said...

After the 1st of the year I will explain some of the ways the Spanish marked caches and gave directions to them.
Meanwhile guys...
if you are feeling inclined to dig a hole please don't do it under a sign.
Get a two box and see if it is worth it. the cost of the detector will save your back so much in the long run, it will be worth the money.

This combination of simple signs will give distance to cache sites.
Cache sites are almost always marked with a triangle. using the triangle is the method of finding the cache.
By measuring from the center of the corners and summing the total of the sides you will have a distance to the cache.
To achieve the direction to measure the distance the primary or motherly corner of the triangle must be determined.
Using the standard formula laid out by information Kenworthy got from archives in Madrid you will measure in a "due" direction from the motherly corner. Due North, due South, due East or West.

The motherly corner will be determined by signs read before even finding the triangle. There will be a series of three letters or numbers. such as CBA , 321.when found this way the primary corner is the #3 corner as the alphabet letters indicate numbers.
A=1, B=2 and C=3 . The first number (if all are the same size) is the primary or motherly corner.
Many times I have seen them presented as ABC with the A or the B as Very large in regard to the standard size.
I have seen the same with numbers as well. The larger number will be the primary or motherly corner.

The triangle will be laid out with the first or #1 corner being the most Southerly. The #2 corner will be the next most Northern but will be either East or West of a straight line drawn to the #3 corner which will be most Northern.
Any triangle found with no number sequence, the number 3 or Northern most corner is motherly.
NOTE: (if you are using a compass to determine due north, learn where true North is for your area, a compass uses magnetic North and that will change from year to year.)

This system follows a set of rules as laid out by Royal decree.
The Spanish adhered to it implicitly.

I would use a two box detector to determine if there is a good target before digging.
If there is no target try tripling the distance.
Another rule from Madrid says any number involving a triangle is tripled.

There are triangles that follow a different set of rules and are marked differently.
I'll discus those in another post.

You must use Spanish inches and feet to measure and you must be precise ... off by a couple feet might as well be a mile.

oddrock

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Minelab ,White's, others and B.S. sniffer
OD

Awhile back I mentioned to you a series of small drill holes and I just found the old pics I thought were lost. The drill holes were all I remembered being on the rock wall. It appears they were not alone.
Oddrock

Attachments

• SCAN0194 (640x354).jpg
    SCAN0194 (640x354).jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 828
OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Hey Oddrock,
I did a reversal on the picture and tried to see what was there. Just doesn't want to give up much does it?
Is there any chance of getting a newer shot for clarity?
Bet you knew I would ask that, LOL.

Attachments

• SCAN0194 (640x354).jpg
    SCAN0194 (640x354).jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 767

oddrock

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
OD,

Newer pics are in order. This was taken 16 years ago with one of those disposable cameras. By the time I scanned it to my computer, then downsized it so it would post, the results were .......anyway the drill holes are very precise, about 1/8 inch across and about 1/8 inch deep. (my memory is about as fuzzy as the pic :laughing9: ) I found the pics, now to locate the notes that go with them. I would advise everyone to be better organized than I have been :icon_scratch:

Oddrock

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
don't sweat the lack of organization, I think it is a very common malady among guys who would rather have feet on the ground than their butt in a chair.

Am looking forward to the new pictures. Let's see if that rock won't talk to us.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oddrock and Old Dog:
I couldn't resist giving this photo a try. I cranked in more contrast and adjusted the lighting and brought out those drill holes ( 2 sets) and some very well done faces. All of that "snow" reflection in the top part of the wall must be from either wet stone or quartz. Oddrock, this is a damned good photo to have been taken with a DISPOSIBLE camera. It's better that some folks take with a superfragleistic, double throwdown, top of the line, expensive, do everything camera. :laughing7:

I just took another look at those holes and noticed that the lower stack have spaces included as separators in the line. Also, there is a crescent shaped line of holes just above that bottom stack.
Anyway, what do you think of this?

Attachments

• SCAN0194 (640x354).jpg
    SCAN0194 (640x354).jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 775
OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Sorry Bill,
I still don't see enough to be sure,
so I'll wait to comment.

Oddrock,
When the drill holes are as you describe, they are usually referred to as dots.
When alone they are a reference to 1 or A or water
when evenly spaced they are a running count
when evenly spaced and connected by a line they say 100 walking varas.

that is as good as I can do under the circumstances, sorry.

oddrock

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
SS & OD

Thanks for the input. I tried cropping the pic down to just a part of the "dotted lines" and will try and post and see if anything is clearer. Trying to plan a trip back to that site soon....

Oddrock

Attachments

• SCAN0194.JPG
    SCAN0194.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 758
OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Holy Cow Buddy!
That made a huge difference.
Can't wait to see what a series of closeups reveals!

Attachments

• SCAN0194.JPG
    SCAN0194.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 730

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can see that crescent-shaped dotted line just above the center; that short vertical line in the upper right quadrant; and another 2 lines, running vertically and parallel to each other with an "X" or a lopsided cross just to the right of them in the upper left quadrant.

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
tf900 & a good old fashioned willow forked limb
Shortstack said:
Oddrock and Old Dog:
I couldn't resist giving this photo a try. I cranked in more contrast and adjusted the lighting and brought out those drill holes ( 2 sets) and some very well done faces. All of that "snow" reflection in the top part of the wall must be from either wet stone or quartz. Oddrock, this is a damned good photo to have been taken with a DISPOSIBLE camera. It's better that some folks take with a superfragleistic, double throwdown, top of the line, expensive, do everything camera. :laughing7:

I just took another look at those holes and noticed that the lower stack have spaces included as separators in the line. Also, there is a crescent shaped line of holes just above that bottom stack.
Anyway, what do you think of this?

Four photos from last summer :
Primary headstone at outskirts of site...
Reaper carving and chopping block...
Locator headstone...
Mine portal.

Hydrothermal window entry leading to paystreak aside. Tailing pile to the right rather in front; concealed and landscaped accordingly. Jesuit packtrail know as the pony express today.

Compare to shapes on the wall...................

Attachments

• Witching-1-1[1].jpg
    Witching-1-1[1].jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 732
  • DSC01125[3].jpg
    DSC01125[3].jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 744
  • DSC01386[2].jpg
    DSC01386[2].jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 752
  • DSC01383[2].jpg
    DSC01383[2].jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 737
OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Good stuff TF,
An betting that stuff blocking the opening is tailings.

Nice stump my friend. You would be surprised how many folks just ignore those.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread