Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808
Equinox 800
Go Find 60
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Basic Spanish signs and symbols you have found

Cynangyl....

We are always safe out there. We compliment each other rather well. I kept insisting the other day to dig a few test holes around our DT gotcha rock as i was being uber anal about the entire deal. Keep in mind we had that hole open to 5-6 feet last october. Persistance paid
off and i proved to thomas that the trap was indeed live!

So we have another way of going after that particular issude later on...but i am damn happy i kept at it for our safety!

DW

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Thank you DW! Knowing you are uber anal about things gives me a lot of peace of mind. I adore Thom and have grown to feel the same about you. Always excited to hear you guys are out there and working on things and even more so now that I know you take such good care of each other! ;D Keep in touch!

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Here is one of the old signs I promised for all.
It is the chemichal sign or symbol for silver.
It had to be chalked as it was almost worn off the wall.
it is only about 2 1/2 inches tall.

Thom

Attachments

• 52308_001 A.jpg
    52308_001 A.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 2,545

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

very cool! I would not have recognized that had you not posted it and explained it! We are oh so very lucky to have all of your great teaching here!

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Well looky looky here. I was out MD'ing a new site today - see thread here http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,159534.0.html if interested - and came across this. The top line says June 174? The last digit is missing. The word June makes my obviously think of a date but what is 174? Not a date? It's possible as this area of the Grand River was a heavily traveled trade route with natives and fur traders and the "coureurs des bois". The next line has 3 scratches and then 69. Again, what is this? A date? Not a date? I don't get it.

The rest looks like initials and/or a couple symbols written in conjunction. The odd ball to my eye is the word "CANADA' written vertically. It appears a slightly lighter shade. Is this because it's a newer carving and not part of the original, or could it have been written at the same time?

Thanks guys and glad to finally contribute something original of my own.

Attachments

• Morrison Rd 001.jpg
    Morrison Rd 001.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 2,431
  • Morrison Rd 001.jpg
    Morrison Rd 001.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 2,406
OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

I believe your thinking to be correct Canada is not nearly as old as the rest.
Nice tree Trout,
If it actually is as old as you think it might be ...a treasure in itself.
Thanks for sharing.

Thom

Infosponge

Jul 20, 2006
Too close to the border
Detector(s) used
They went that way <<<<<>>>>>>

It looks like at least six people from Canada left their initials in that tree on June 11/69 DS, BK, RV, MW, KK, & JC. Just my two cents worth.

Sincerely,

Infosponge

soopacee

Apr 27, 2008
Pottsville, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Nel Tornando,
Garrett Carrot PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

resq937 said:
WOW havent posted here in a while and began exploring other sections other than the metal detecting sites---never even heard of any of this type of stuff till now---Does anyone know if this was done in Pa or was this mainly something that was done out west. I am looking for all types of interesting hobbies for my son who is now turning 14(my last post he was 10) and metal detecting still has his attention as well as geocaching, but something like this...wow...he would go ape sh*t over.

from what i read the Amish did this in Lancaster County.....and im sure Indians did it aswell.......but i am positive about the Amish......they had markings in rocks and all that, because they hid wealth from whoever was strong arming them........i have to scan some pics from this magazine i have to show you

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Soopacee,
I would like to see what signs they used,
in comparison to the Spanish.
I already know that the KGC used actual existing Spanish signs as markers for their own caches adding subtle signs of their own to give a differentiation.
It would be an interesting comparison.

Thom

soopacee

Apr 27, 2008
Pottsville, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Nel Tornando,
Garrett Carrot PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Old Dog said:
Soopacee,
I would like to see what signs they used,
in comparison to the Spanish.
I already know that the KGC used actual existing Spanish signs as markers for their own caches adding subtle signs of their own to give a differentiation.
It would be an interesting comparison.

Thom

no problemo....soon as i get free time between work and kids i will gladly scan them

its in a magazine called EErie, PA......they only release like 1-2 issues a year.....its mostly urban legend/ghost stuff about Pa.....but the last issue i got had a little thing about "Pa Money Rocks"......i will scan all the pages, but of course i was only interested in the Lancaster County one, since thats the closest to me.........its funny because the 2 pics from the Lancaster County one...i didnt see anything they were talking about haha, looked like normal rock

Leones Corazon

Mar 26, 2006
Grand Junction Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808
Equinox 800
Go Find 60
Primary Interest:
Other

IASoldier...

Have 16 years under my belt in the army...thanx for your service bud!
If you plan to find that cave again let me know....vegas is a 550 mile straight
shot across utah for me and i'd love to see it...

DW

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

I finally got permission to post an awesome monument.
It is a hand, that is used as a gunsight.
as promised I will only post one side of it as the other shows the objective.
instead of the fingers or the thumb as pointers the notch between the two is used as a sight. note the small pointer on the ground, directing you to look at the platform behind the hand.
They even tell you where to stand to see what was ahead.

Attachments

• Tony 1 resized.jpg
    Tony 1 resized.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 2,605

Leones Corazon

Mar 26, 2006
Grand Junction Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808
Equinox 800
Go Find 60
Primary Interest:
Other

I'll call ya in the am bud. Yesterday wiped me out but damn if that wasn't our better outings yet.
Make sure you have several cd's burned as per our conversation as well.
I'll call ya when i get ready to depart big-o....from there i need to hit cummins for some oil dye
for the 76 so i can find the exact source of my leak...lol.

We need to chat about your silver sign as i recognize the photo once again...lol.

Also to the right of the stone chair and below is yet another finger telling one where to sit ones
kester and i'll assume since the fingers of the hand are a tangle you will be seeing a tangle that
will be one part of 3. Feel free to post our hand if you wish...

DW

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

In the AM then.

Here is another hand that I am graciously allowed to post.
This is one of Eagle's signs from his whitecliff site.

Attachments

• 52408_044 A.jpg
    52408_044 A.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 2,545

emtrescue

Dec 26, 2007
Church Hill, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

I'm sure everyone else has noticed it, but I just wanted to comment on the detail... That is a magnificent turtle behind the the hand. I'm guessing the three holes are significant as well........

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

EMT,

Sharp eye,
I agree torally,
I wasn't saying anything to see how long it took for someone else to notice.
He kind of snuggles into the works there.

He is one of those you could walk right past unless you were really sharp.
I have seen this guy twice in person and believe it or not the hand isn't pointing to the turtle.
It is actually pointing up the hill at a set of all together different pointers.

Thom

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Then what is the turtle there for? I thought they were a marker of sorts with mutiple meanings depending on how they were carved or what features they had.

Is it 2 diferent trails? No can't be. All kinds of things running through my head right now but I can't figure why 2 signs/markers within feet of each other, especially if one is a hand pointing at "all together differnt" pointers? Is the turtle there to compliment the hand in some way?

Oh those crazy Spaniards.... pls help me OD! lol

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

CanadianTrout said:
Then what is the turtle there for? I thought they were a marker of sorts with mutiple meanings depending on how they were carved or what features they had.

Is it 2 diferent trails? No can't be. All kinds of things running through my head right now but I can't figure why 2 signs/markers within feet of each other, especially if one is a hand pointing at "all together differnt" pointers? Is the turtle there to compliment the hand in some way?

Oh those crazy Spaniards.... pls help me OD! lol

It is as simple as that.

Two different groups, each using different sides of the same hill.
This is a really good site, and a really old one.
The signs are carved deep and quite large.

As the sites get newer or more modern the signs seem to get smaller and more concealed.

Thom

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Wowzers. SO you're saying OD that one group used the hand to point at other markers further up and the direction of travel (for them) was that way.

But the turtle is pointing another way (following the head as I can't see the legs or tail). So that group was heading in that direction. As the turtle appears more on the large side than the small side (tough to tell as there is nothing in pic for size comparison) than I am to assume the treasure he points to is still a bit distant.

So in essence what we have here is really a "Spanish Trail Crossroads".

Interesting indeed. What I wouldn't give to live where you guys do. Bah! Curse the flatness of southern Ontario! We got pioneer farmers just trying to eek out a living and feed themselves and you got crazy gold-rich Spaniards. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

CanadianTrout said:
Wowzers. SO you're saying OD that one group used the hand to point at other markers further up and the direction of travel (for them) was that way.

But the turtle is pointing another way (following the head as I can't see the legs or tail). So that group was heading in that direction. As the turtle appears more on the large side than the small side (tough to tell as there is nothing in pic for size comparison) than I am to assume the treasure he points to is still a bit distant.

So in essence what we have here is really a "Spanish Trail Crossroads".

Interesting indeed. What I wouldn't give to live where you guys do. Bah! Curse the flatness of southern Ontario! We got pioneer farmers just trying to eek out a living and feed themselves and you got crazy gold-rich Spaniards. :icon_scratch:

CT,
There was a lot going on at this site,
Possibly a KGC overlay as well.
Can't speak about it farther ... sorry.
All occurring at different times.
In regards to the Spanish they did seem to respect each other's deposites.

We have also found that size in regard to a turtle is probably relative to what was available at the time.
where a recovery is eminent, you will find that some tiny (two inch in average size) profile type turtles will be in the hole as you go down, along with other small markers and pointers.

From research we have learned that a turtle buries the eggs... and what comes out of the hole...?
little turtles...

they will let you know you are in the right place.

Thom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread