OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Re: Basic Spanish signs and symbols you have found

As far as basic textbook type signs and symbols go,
there is no set rule that says they will be chiseled into a rock or carved on a tree.
many and even most, you will find fashioned from a flat stone and laying right on the ground.
They will be leaning against another rock or even stuck in a tree or a cactus. We have found them propped up on a ledge or tucked away in a small hole.
Here is a trail sign that is often ignored , it is a boot and if alone the toe of the boot will point the direction of travel, otherwise a trail of smaller stones will lead from the part of the sign they wanted you to follow.
The boot also tells you, you are following the correct trail.

Attachments

• Boot.jpg
    Boot.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 13,094
OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

The church bell was not just a pirate sign
It is also a good Spanish sign to know.
It says the treasure is near.
Here is a picture of one ,
it is one of two that I have seen that are not carved into trees or chiseled into a rock.

Attachments

• Bell.jpg
    Bell.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 13,086

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

that bell is pretty cool! I wonder how many of the signs that are like those end up moved by someone that has no clue what they are there for....I can just see someone making a fire ring gathering up all those signs as they go. :-\

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Here is the renowned number 7,
this is the classic sign used by the Jesuits to represent Gold or treasure.
it is most commonly used to mark a campsite.

all of the signs you see will not be on a wall, they may be underfoot and you may just walk right past ...

Attachments

• Number 7.jpg
    Number 7.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 16,530
OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Cyndi,
They also end up as lawn decorations,
There is a member whose girlfriend collects hearts,
who knows how many Spanish ones she has taken home.

Thom

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

:BangHead: I wonder if she will realize it someday. lol

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

She probably will never care,
some people are so single minded that historical importance won't ever matter.

Thom

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

As long as we are talking about signs that fit a text book theme
Monuments need to be covered as well.
Turtles are a trail marker that many people seem to think is a necessary ingredient for a treasure trail.

This is totaly untrue !
But a turtle certainly will get your blood going.
A turtle ALWAYS points to treasure.
The treasure may not be gold or silver...
it may be a protected water hole or camping spot with fortifications.

Here is a sea turtle that is looking straight up a cliff at a heart shaped hole.
Sorry it isn't a little bigger, I took the picture as I drove by. This monument is about 1/4 mile away.

Attachments

• Sea Turtle.jpg
    Sea Turtle.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 13,288

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

That is too cute!! I think I would be tempted to peek in that hole and if nothing was there leave something! lol

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Cyndi,
Righ now there is no way of getting to it.
there is a creek between you and it,
and right now the creek is close to reaching flood stage.
There is a ten foot cliff between the creek and the ledge where the turtle sits.
So that turtle is large enough for you to have to stand on his back to see into that hole.

Just to see how observant you are...
there is something in that hole already.

Thom

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

wish I had zoom on here! lol Looks like there is a little rock or something there but can't see well enough to tell what it is....that would make me flat nuts! I would be trying to figure out some contraption to get closer! :tongue3:

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Some times that small stone will be a pointer directing you to either the next sign or the cache itself.

It has me pondering as well...

hetty

May 24, 2007

That posting #51 of #7 an old spanish jesuit sign is a beauty if you know what it is saying. In the pic below the seven is pointing with its leg at a hidden cave, an assorted jesuit cache that I have known of for many years. The cave is about thirty paces away in a cliff fronted front yard of a multi million dollar property. I have spoken to the owner and he is not interested. I never noticed this sign which uses the leg of the pointer to say go forward and dig down. This shallow water petroglyph has again dissappeared. There are various markers of different descriptions all pointing at this cave. This marker is about two feet across. Max

Attachments

• P7160012.JPG
    P7160012.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 15,397

hetty

May 24, 2007

If I was running a class on intereperating jesuit petroglyphs, this would be a classic of what to look for. It has many messages. It is about a ton in weight and is about 3 to 4 feet long.
The ends of the boulder have been shaped exactly to the shape of the surrounding left and right cliff fronts.
If you look carefully you will notice a figure E or a semi heart on top facing to the east (left)
If you again look carefully you will notice two pointers pointing to the ground.
They are saying dig down for further instructions.THe left hand pointer produced this large hand carved marker at a depth of one foot.
This smaller petrogph is the size of a large saucepan ( about a foot across)and is carved out of granite and weighs about 30 lbs.
It is saying dig into the cliff front on the left hand side of the large rock. It doesnt have to say where, as they used standard pacings to targets of three and a quarter paces ( ( ten feet, three spansh varas or 3 meters) between each cache buried in the hillside. Will get back to this rock probably tomorrow as Vegies are awaiting me. It is a half century drought we are having in Australia. An interesting afterthought, the Jesuits were here for at least 2 centuries untill the first 2 decades of the 19th cent. They left a trap of stink bombs at one site soaked in sulpuric Acid and the nearby buried broken wine bottle( buried) (The area was inhabitated by settlers around 1830). iThe bottle dated very early 19 century. (They were nasty thugs) If you have time to go back over old postings on treasure net you will find many similar markers posted in by readers. There was obviously an unwritten Jesuit rule that no two indicators should look alike, and in most circumstances three caches at any one site was the norm with only one indicator of great notice with each set of caches. The right hand pointer is a little beauty re what it was pointing at Max

Attachments

• PA280006.JPG
    PA280006.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 14,669
  • heart cropped.jpg
    heart cropped.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 14,660
OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Thanks for the help Hetty,

I think it pretty interesting to find that no matter where in the world you are,
the signs are basically the same if the Spanish or the SJ left them.
I have a friend in Tailand who finds the same signs and symbols.

I agree 100%, the traps the SJ set up were on the evil side of diabolical.

Awesome stuff Hetty.
Thom

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would like to thank all of you whom have contributed to this topic...I have found it very interesting as well as educational. I also realize that this information did not come easy to you....but only after countless hours of trial and error in the field....Steve

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Steve,
This in my opinion is treasure hunting at it's finest.
The more people know about this the fewer monuments and signs will get destroyed.

Hopefully this thread will go farther.
There are so many good basic signs and symbols that are available .
sometimes guys don't realise that a sign is not what gives the location away.
it is the surrounding area.
A close up of the symbol is great for study too.

Wish others could find it in thenselves to give a little
But it's OK if they don't too. I put this here for anyone to reference.
maybe a sign will show up and you will get a revelation on something you are boggled with.
Who knows

hetty

May 24, 2007

Old Dog and others. Thanks for your encouragement. As long as I am not talking to empty air I will continue.
The Petroglyph I have been referring to showed another interesting aspect on its left hand end. Just under the level of the sand are nine notches or indentations which are the number of caches on the left. THere are plenty of identical examples shown here by other posters.
I dont think they were aware of the indentations. It took me 10 years to work out this one.

This cliff face shown at high tide has 9 filled in tunnels each at sea level or a little higher going inland in 3 vara (10 foot ) stages. Why I mention stages as the filled in Tunnels each have a at least two caches.
The first at 10 feet will have a marker such as a stalactite cemented on the left hand wall pointing to the right. The right hand turn off will contain a cache of gold bars of approx. 2 cubic feet in dimensions ( roughly 2 tons.)

Back in the main tunnel a further 10 feet of ecxavation will yield a 2nd cache.
This particular site was one of the most important on the Australian mainland. They frequented this area for several centuries.
At regular 10 foot intervels turtles were present pointing to the cliff fronts.

Attachments

• PB280032.JPG
    PB280032.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 14,482
  • Steps.jpg
    Steps.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 14,441
  • 9 tunnels.jpg
    9 tunnels.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 14,718

hetty

May 24, 2007
Re: Basic Spanish signs . R/hand side of petro -glyph

The right hand side of the rock has a second arrow pointing down. Note that it is at the bottom of the staircase and there is a cliff behind .
By digging down at the arrow at 1 foot in depth I discovered 2 carvings encouraging to dig behind the rock into the hillside for the usual distance.
The hand carved pickhead in minature and the round "Pozo" say dig here in a tunnel behind me. The round Carving represents a tunnel.

Attachments

• Steps.jpg
    Steps.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 14,310
  • P8290001.JPG
    P8290001.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 14,345
  • Steps.jpg
    Steps.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 14,263
  • P8290001.JPG
    P8290001.JPG