OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Re: Basic Spanish signs and symbols you have found

jesus said:
When a cross is carved on a clifft and near a campsite it is important its size?

The size and determination will give the cross definite meaning.
A cross with a tilted cross bar is directional .
A cross with one side of the bar longer that the other is directional.
if there is a point on the bottom of the upright pointing down... dig here.
if the cross is slanted or several crosses together all slanted the same the crosses are directional
follow the way they lean.
You may find a cross on a wall or a tree a few feet off the ground,
measure from the bottom of the cross and multiply that amount by varas and dig that far.

Crosses are an important sign.

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Cherryman68 said:
And What does a frog stand for?

Most aquatic animals were used to indicate a good water source.
Turtles are the exception.
I am not sure about this being a frog,
however there is a good source of year round water within a quarter mile on this site.

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008

May i meekly add .... sometimes its not a bad idea to check and make sure the cross is not part of some larger symbol. Step back and look at it from a bigger point of view. :sign13:

dominick p

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2009

Good day all.....

I am new to all of this and have been looking at all the posts and pix. I hade downloaded quite a few and am making my own observations as well. I currently live in Colorado Springs and am excited to try and get started on this as I think that the C/S area would be an AWESOME area to check around. If anyone has any additional input into areas that MIGHT be good to start in (in the Springs) it would be very much appreciated.

Good hunting all,

Nick

Attachments

• 049e.jpg
    049e.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 1,097
  • 039d.jpg
    039d.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,080
  • 40209_022 A.jpg
    40209_022 A.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 1,113
  • 005c.jpg
    005c.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 1,096
  • 038d.jpg
    038d.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 1,081
  • calvc1_2.jpg
    calvc1_2.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 1,064

goldenlady

Mar 5, 2008
colorado springs, co
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Strike
Primary Interest:
Other

Welcome Nick,

Take a drive up Ute Pass just out of Manitou Springs. You will be surprised at what you see on both sides of Highway 24. Also Highway 50 between Texas Creek and Salida. There's lots of different monuments in both areas.

Linda
(Shawnee)

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Welcome Nick,
Thanks for posting.
The first picture is of the roman numeral 20.
Signifying 20% or the Royal quint, the 1/5Th that always belonged to the King.

The second picture I cannot say
The third is of a bird that has weathered almost beyond recognition.

The fourth is of a large silver sign up high.
etc...
Ignoring modern graffiti and working with the pieces and parts that are made with a chisel is at best hard without seeing the signs in person.

As far as places to hunt... you live just above the San Louis Valley,
that area is without doubt one of the best places in the State to hunt and learn the signs.
There were missions and land grants as well as many mining expeditions that were in that area.
What a prime spot to look.
Best of luck. Try not to see too many things that aren't there.
Make sure it is cut into the stone with a hard steel tool.
When you are first starting take a lot of pictures as well,
take them from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
That is when the shadows will be right.
You will find the most signs during those hours.
Stay safe and have fun, hope to see good things from you.

Thom

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Welcome to you as well Golden lady,
I for one would enjoy seeing some of the monuments out your way.

Good stuff Tony,
Could you take a closer shot next time you are out?

goldenlady

Mar 5, 2008
colorado springs, co
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Strike
Primary Interest:
Other

Thank-you Thom,

Actually I've been a member for quite awhile, just don't post too much. There's lots up your ways too (as you already know) but I was just answering him about the Colorado Springs area. Good advice about not seeing something in everything.

Take care and keep up the good advice !!

Linda (Shawnee)

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Well, I am not going to say where this is - besides Texas :) but I found a line - of piles of rocks... that extends for a couple miles.... they are NOT from cleared fields... it is NOT a fence line... (the piles range from 10 feet to 40 feet apart - AND the line runs due North to South) they are MOST definitely markers to "something". They cross all modern fence lines and roads.... AND they just happen to lead to a series of cliff side stone shelters.... where we, and others have in the past.... have ALSO found spanish artifacts ... swords, helmets, and "buried things". (yes the search will continue) :icon_thumleft:

Do I believe in most of the "signs" posted here? No. Have >I< seen signs? Yes.

IMHO - if you were an early explorer, and made - and cached a discovery, you would almost certainly need to lay out some markers. Of course, rivers and hills can serve that purpose too! :wink:

SIGH.

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Marc,

I am aware of some of the markers you speak of, some of the "guides" left by Spanish and others are quite dramatic.
Other signs and marks are less than obvious. Some seem really out there, LOL.

What we are trying to do here is make some sense out of the ordinary things in unnatural places and positions that seem to plague the routes traversed by the ones who have gone before. The things that jump out and grab you and say "why should I be here when everything else looks normal for the area". Many times there is really no explanation except to say it is there and only time will give us the reason for it.

It is a never never ending source of amazement to me how much work and creativity must have gone into some of these things.

Thom

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Tony,
Here is my attempt to size the photo,
Can't say as of yet if resolution is better but I did try.
Do you want to show us what you see in this ??

Attachments

• LAMB_OF_GOD1.jpg
    LAMB_OF_GOD1.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 1,069
OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Someone was asking a while back about small conicle holes and what they would be used for.
I told them I would return to the subject as soon as I could produce a picture...

The conicle holes many times were used in place of bar molds for metal as it was poured in small amounts.
The metal shrinks as it cools and pops right out of the hole.
Here is an example.

Attachments

• Silver_conical_ingot_003.jpg
    Silver_conical_ingot_003.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,026

tesoro dog

May 31, 2007

THOM!! Here it is,, couldn't figure out how to zoom and post it!! Whats new!! HA!! It is the Lamb of God,, on the Altar,, He who takes away the sins of the world!! Thanks Amigo! td

Attachments

• LAMB_OF_GOD 123.JPG
    LAMB_OF_GOD 123.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 1,674

bobthpi

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2009

Old Dog and All;
New to forum, retired military living in the Philippines, have been doing TH since 1982
Duh....really felt dumb as I have had listings of treasure marking signs used here by
Japanese since 80s, have seen some that even had references to Spanish. Recently Found a
whole tutorial on the internet about Spanish Marking Signs, and Booby Traps....they are
almost identical except Japanese used Bombs.. Spanish used same Rock Fall Traps and Trap
doors.
The Turtles, Snake Signs, Diamond, Triangle, Circle, Lightning, Jaws and the Dots or Line
Markers for Distance were there, distance may vary but have almost identical meenings for short or long distances or doubling distance.

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Bob,

Welcome to T-Net !
Don't count the Spanish out where you are.
There may be more Spanish caches than Japanese Left.
Seems that everyone there hunts the Japanese, nobody hunts the Spanish.

Best of luck though in all your hunts,
Keep us posted on your signs and finds.

Thom

bobthpi

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2009

Old Dog;
First time up, yes been here a long time in the Philippines, 8yrs in Navy then came back in 89, spent a lot of years researching, Spanish here for 300yrs. Galleons, Spanish War, Church Loot lots of it here, but you can laugh at me or not...it is more difficult than Japanese Loot to recover because of supernatural activity this stuff has a dark side associated with it. The Japanese used similar techniques of protecting loads with violent deaths and using offerings to recover. Only a couple experiences with Spanish, but I had an old Mining Engineer Partner in the 80s that did a lot more, and had some real si-fi tales of ones he had worked. In all the Forums I don't hear people talking about it, but was physically attacked on my first project, I am an American, and did not believe in it, in fact had been making fun of the spirits being seen by our workers and my partner when it occured. Had contacts at almost every site. I can still remember Mell Fisher working the Atocha, the Jamacan Captain on the Tugboat was definitely spooked during the Documentary, that nite the Tugboat sunk he recovered but he lost his son and daughter in law, price to pay... maybe!
Anyway good talking to you, I was glad to find the Spanish Marking Connection, downloaded them to add to my collections of markings and codes.

Old Dog said:
Bob,

Welcome to T-Net !
Don't count the Spanish out where you are.
There may be more Spanish caches than Japanese Left.
Seems that everyone there hunts the Japanese, nobody hunts the Spanish.

Best of luck though in all your hunts,
Keep us posted on your signs and finds.

Thom

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008

I took this photo a couple of weeks ago while following a trail.I've walked by it a dozen times and never noticed it but a compass shot led me to it and even though I thought it looked like a couple of profiles looking to the left I had been looking at a lot of rock so I thought maybe a little too thin.I crawled under the rock anyway and shot a line bisecting the bottom of the top pointer and it led me to a small owl carved in the cliff about 100 yards away.Quess it doesn't hurt to check things out even when in doubt.
Rick

Rick, were you able to make out what that long line of letters, symbols and or maybe numbers were on that rock face?
Picture 414173rd.jpg

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008

Wow busy thread!

TD bro! What a cool..formation :) Look like it shaded something. When i first saw it i thought what a great place to place a a cross or icon...like a shrine.
But...I want to see you scramble like a mountain goat ;D . Seriously taking a look up might be useful.

The tiny areas can not be sure but may be little things looking at each other.
Now i have allowed myself to look for tinys and smaller carvings i see them everywhere..eventually that will wear off.

However!

It looks to me like a multipurpose marker with the dead/resting guy. He is pointing up.. his legs may also resemble a triangle. Something below his back bone too.

tdlog1.jpg

Thom... what an interesting picture! Never saw anything like that. Thanks for showing us.

Nic that all pinnacle that rock climbers love in Garden of the Gods...hmmm.. i think there are benches near there. On one of the rocks faces right around the benches... quite near... there are a fair number of carvings like names and dates and maybe other things. . It was too bright and sunny when i was there and i did not have a camera...but it might be worth checking out on an overcast day for educational purposes.

Good luck marc! Welcome to everyone else.

Everyone else..welcome to T-net or to this thread :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread