Copperhead

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
rtde3 said:
Have you looked at this spot with google earth yet? You might be able to see old logging roads....
Just a thought.

sorry for not responding sooner....google earth shots just show trees..haven't given up exploring yet...just takes awhile to get there...

Red_desert....actually, I find the rocks with the holes the most interesting.. not sure about the bottoms...they might be deeper and just filled with junk..they are not very large maybe as big as a quarter around...will let you know next time out...

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a quarter size round? I'm not sure what they are now. One I've seen was in New Mexico at an old rock foundation, homestead long gone...I would say fist size hole. It seems the early pioneers must have used them too. Some used a rock for doing the grinding, much like a mortar and pestle. Wood got used instead by some Indians, the idea of beating grain by a thick enough tree branch made the chore less work. Maybe a branch beater type of grain milling...still seems much too small though, don't know for sure what size they were.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
In regards to your logging trail.

I doubt that there has been such a large scale logging in the area that any of your signs are disturbed.
From what I have seen with friends whose family were sentinel families.
they will go out and harvest trees themselves and sell quite a few for lumber.
Never have I ever seen or heard of a trail or sign tree to come through the mill.
They are pretty careful to be selective.
we could learn a lot about conservation from these guys.

I have heard of someone cutting one down for firewood,
But that is the only instance.

(EDIT) this all took place over a period from 1840 + - to 1916
so it could have been a lot more recent than some think.

Thom

Wildfirefighter72

Jan 14, 2007
Colorado
Ryan1979 said:
I guess I think someone should try to get a good estimate of how old that tree is. What kind of tree is it? Is there any good way of estimating it's age based on growth habits, instead of cutting it down to count rings (is that even accurate?).

I don't know a thing about KGC, but I guess if that path is going to be researched, then the tree should be given an estimated age to see if it even comes close to the time the KGC was operating.

Just some thoughts,

Ryan1979

I thought I would put my two cents in. As most have said, I too agree with Old Dog. I also wanted to add that the stump looks like a hand saw was used on it not an ax. Not sure if that might mean anything, but thought I would throw it in there. Looking forward to more of this thread!

John

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 415

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Dsty,

The KGC did a lot of really weird stuff to cover the trail.
I have never heard of any of them moving a grave.
Most of what they did was centered around their own stashes and treasure collections.
They would use a set of Spanish signs if they were already in place,
they would also carve a set of the same signs the Spanish used.
Most of the trails were very simple,
If you read what is there and can get a good interpretation of the signs.
It will work itself out.
Bone up on Surveying and basic Cartography
Study all the signs you can get ahold of and stay sharp in the field.
You will find it as complicated as you need it to be without adding new and unusual stuff to the mix.

LOL
careful of the red hands
Stay safe,
Thom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions