RattleSnake Hill - speculation welcome, new pics 06/30/2009

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Thanks Pinwheel, Kim and Lost Horse both needs to strighten up, Old Dog seldom post, he probably running out of things to offer, he has really got a good site going, If I dont post on my own site I can't keep up with anything

OP
OP
desertmoons

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Anything particular you were wondering pinwheel? Hi dsty.

RSH could be considered a trail nexus and treasure yard both I guess. In thinking about what you see one must remember it was used for likely 200 years by different incarnations of the same group and also, perhaps,some other groups. And they overlayed what was there much longer. That is just my opinion though. So we have different vintages of trail marking going on.

The more modern vintages using some but not all of the older marks. It makes it a fun place to study.

Well.. other than that, yes there are dozens of trails for various purposes. Some short, some long.Pics were nice, but it was only through repeated hiking the area that I came to know the land, the trails, the styles and drew a few conclusions.

It is a study area only and one I could spend a decade on and not understand it all. The only "oh well" I have is that a set of rocks I thought looked like a solar observatory turned out to be a more mundane expressway cloverleaf with signs type of thing. But that was a good experience learning how to measure and figure solar alignments of a few hundred years ago.

Pinwheel

Mar 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Anything particular you were wondering pinwheel? Hi dsty. RSH could be considered a trail nexus and treasure yard both I guess. In thinking about what you see one must remember it was used for likely 200 years by different incarnations of the same group and also, perhaps,some other groups. And they overlayed what was there much longer. That is just my opinion though. So we have different vintages of trail marking going on. The more modern vintages using some but not all of the older marks. It makes it a fun place to study. Well.. other than that, yes there are dozens of trails for various purposes. Some short, some long.Pics were nice, but it was only through repeated hiking the area that I came to know the land, the trails, the styles and drew a few conclusions. It is a study area only and one I could spend a decade on and not understand it all. The only "oh well" I have is that a set of rocks I thought looked like a solar observatory turned out to be a more mundane expressway cloverleaf with signs type of thing. But that was a good experience learning how to measure and figure solar alignments of a few hundred years ago.

Hello DM. I know you find a lot of the really old cool stuff. Just woundering, Have you ever found a dinosaur or know of some one finding a dinosour? Many Thanks

Pinwheel

OP
OP
desertmoons

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
If you mean fossils..no. And I've been keeping an eye out for them. It would be a real thrill to find one. That and a paleolithic knapping or hunting site are two things that it would very neat to discover. The natives in my state were well aware of dinosaur fossils, from way, way back, but they had a different explanation for them. The incredibly massive and thorough grave robbing and looting of their lands in the 1800's and 1900's cleaned out a lot of the more easily found fossils.

As to dinosaur engravings - no I have not. I have seen llamas and lizards though. If you think it is a dino..think again if it is a llama or some Central/South American animal. If it still does not fit, think very modern work. (last 100 years.) And then think of extinct ice age animals..does it match any of those? I would consider those possibilities thoroughly before labeling an engraving a dinosaur. Pretty cool if you found one and I am not saying none exist. I just have never seen one personally.

Mileaway

Aug 15, 2011
Sonora,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Prospector
rshturfuzzt looks to me to be a turtle looking at a Bulls head. The bulls head is looking at?

Pinwheel

Mar 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
rshturfuzzt looks to me to be a turtle looking at a Bulls head. The bulls head is looking at?

DesertMoons. Thanks so much for the reply. My bad, I was talking about monument type stones. I know the code makers most usually used iconic animals. Sometimes they would surprise one by using a not so Iconic animal like a llama or a Pheasant. I also know that ones first instincts of what something is, is not always right. many thanks

Mileaway. Do you have any knowledge of the monument that I was thinking of , or were you speaking of another?
Many Thanks

Pinwheel

Mileaway

Aug 15, 2011
Sonora,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Prospector
Turtle and Ox?

Mileaway. Do you have any knowledge of the monument that I was thinking of , or were you speaking of another? Many Thanks Pinwheel
Pinwheel, I was just adding my 2 cents on Desertmoons picture ;-)

Attachments

• rshwindow3 800x600.JPG
    rshwindow3 800x600.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 106

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That turtle might be looking at something SPECIFIC on the bull head. Is that a small hoyo at the upper center point?

OP
OP
desertmoons

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Sheesh..you had to ask about THAT formation of all of them. lol. To get close to that formation I have to come in from the back side. And from the backside, I've never been able to identify and find it. Nice comment mile..I never was sure that was a turtle or something else. That could well be a ox or bull too. Of course if it is a turtle looks like it is pretty busy laying eggs. I would suspect if it is looking at something, and it does seem likely ss, given the shape of that turtle head, attitude etc.. it would be the shadow "y" and now i see some possible carvings here and there. I do not think this hoyo is to look through. . I do not know what is to the right of it..that is obscured from view from this side which i think was the trail side long ago. To me at this point, I see things that say go around right, go around left AND maybe do not go around at all you are here. Sorry..I never did get to re examine this.

You all got me thinking about this area again. You know after I posted here in Tnet, at least 2 "groups" found the place and took a try at things.

One group I will not talk about. But the other ones did something odd. There was this triangle of rocks..oh say about 100 feet or so on a side. They dug just about smack dab in the middle of the triangle. But they did not dig deep..maybe 1-1/2 feet deep at most and in a particular manner. I wonder now if they were digging up a metal sign.

Last edited:

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Hi Kim, just a thought about your Turtle HEAD and your BULL head indicates that it may be on a line that seperates two league square, the directions should ( magnetc ) E and W or N and S OR perhaps a property line, if its a property line then there should be something there will make an + to qualify for a Cache site it should have water with-in walking distance

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Desertmoons/kim. Have you tried finding like signs? Just a thought, I always look for the same sign when walking. Areas get into themes it seems.

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting.

tinhorn

Jul 28, 2011
Casca, i think we should talk about that. I have noticed themes. but what are some different techiqueś people use to match symbols and what is the importance of it? i have not heard this explained.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once was drawn to a large pair of carved birds and as I entered the canyon I noticed another carved bird. I used a compass and found they were north and south of each other, at the same height and on opposites sides of the canyon. I don not think this was by accident. Upon walking the line I found a deposit of copper and I suspect they were mining copper or other metals.

Ecominer

Banned
Mar 20, 2003
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini III; Garrett Master Hunter;2009 Minelab Explorer SE Pro; Quantro Discovery Land Tone Magetometer 1A;
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't read the rest of the responses, just the first page. Your rocks, pointers, in my opinion are to big to have anything close. It looks to me like most of your rocks point up the hill to a pointer that points away from the hill. I would look off into the distances and see where it points. Let me know if you want some help. Maybe we can go out together some time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread