RattleSnake Hill - speculation welcome, new pics 06/30/2009

OP
OP
desertmoons

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Re: RattleSnake Hill - just a few pics - comments, speculation welcome

I saw this and thought ..I just don't know. I have to think his eye is one of those black rock lenses i mentioned so that would be a natural feature. Still the shape is compelling. Notice how worn it is though. I imagine any markings might have been worn away by now.

trail14.jpg

This last one i call the crossing guard. This plump fellow has one chubby arm pointing up and the other to the left (uphill). It is of one piece and the only rock I saw with that kind of shape.

trail15.jpg

Well thats it for now. I may wait till it cools down before I go back there. Hope you enjoyed and any comments are welcome. Sorry I could not check out the things you wonderful folks mentioned. I know you are probably as curious as me as to what exactly is there.

Hope we can all learn from it. I know I sure did. I slept very well last night.

killer_squirrel

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2008
Re: RattleSnake Hill - just a few pics - speculation welcome, new pics 08/06/08

I'm not an expert at this by any means but I had to add that this rock looks like an owl to me. It may be natural but I think it has an owl shape to it.

Attachments

• owl.jpg
    owl.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 2,689

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Moons,

This stuff looks good.
You are making me salivate for the trail. LOL

Awesome turtle in #9
You seem to be doing fine
Keep it up...

Thom

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

Old Dog said:
Moons,

This stuff looks good.
You are making me salivate for the trail. LOL

Awesome turtle in #9
You seem to be doing fine
Keep it up...

Thom
I'm backing Thom and you.You have a fine eye to pick the markers you have found.Remember that up close these newspapers will seem to be less.They were written a long time ago to be viewed from a distance.What you see from a long way off is what they wanted to see when they came back.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Moons,
Here is your turtle that I spoke of
Sorry had to get off the other night we had too much lightning going on,
Didn't want to fry my outfit.

Thom

Attachments

• index A.jpg
    index A.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 2,643
OP
OP
desertmoons

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008

killer: interesting. Are you seeing the whole rock shaped like an owl? Or..in the orange part? The picture is pretty poor and you may be seeing image artifacts. I'm never able to see owls myself until someone outlines them..lol All these rocks are getting me discombobulated!

Truckin..thanks for the reminder. So far I all found were rocks and no carvings , so it makes me wonder. Even along a trail I expected to find a carving..maybe that was a wrong assumption? The trail's end would be miles away..if I am right.

Thom and everyone else!
Thanks for encouragement.

I've come to the conclusion this place is like an expressway cloverleaf of the spanish era or earlier or later. A lot of the markers, if they are markers point the way of one trail - the trail i was on. Then there is a cut off, and a lot of directional rocks point up in the general direction of a high up prominent pointer that seems pretty solid. . Like the pointy rock that killer suspects may resemble an owl and my pile of nothing rock. Still there are other markers that continue along the one trail. Then you run into things like the duck that point off into another (and logical) direction given the history of this location.

I did not suspect so many possibilities as what i am seeing. That duck..well ok.. I think it might be a duck. In a close up it looks shaped like a saddle underneath so it would nicely nestle atop the larger rock base.. I'll send the large size file if anyone wants to examine closer.

Has anyone ever seen a duck that looks as much like a duck and is natural?? Let me know please!

Anyway the duck is an example of another express way sign pointing out in the distance another spanish trail. Thats my theory but i will not know till october and i get up close to that behemoth.

But things like below make me wonder if the site was also used for other purposes.

This is a close up of what the turtle was pointing at. I could not take a picture of it but there was something else pointing to this area besides the turtle. Imagine a flat bottomed rock with a curve cut out of it on top.

Like a nice size rock that had a curve in it big enough to sit in. About 1-2 feet off the ground. (The seat). Sort of looks like a boulder fell out if it leaving the curved area where it was. Kind of a narrow rock, maybe 18 inches wide and 4 feet in length. If you plop down in that inviting curve..you end up looking at the area below.

To me it looks like there might be a double pointed rock there, with adjoining pointing rocks on either side pointing to it. Anyone ever see anything like that? Well whether that is natural or not..do you think the sharp faced guy is natural? Right next to sharp face is a rock that MAY finally have carvings on it. Then again it could just be natural weathering lines.

This one has me really wondering if there is something going on. Any thoughts, idle speculation would be most welcome!

SHARP3.jpg

I've a few other pics of things found. Not sure if people want to see them..let me know and I will post.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Moons,

Just out of couriosity,
take a compass reading as you sit in your "seat".
are you looking in a prime direction? (N, S, E, or W)

Just courious.
Thom

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Moons,

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,149002.300.html

Post 368 picture #1 By Mesa Buddy.

I think this duck head is the absolute best duck of all time I have ever seen, ever!

It is always good to remember that ducks fly in pairs, in nature. Many signs are very rarely seen carved,
and a duck is one of them. I see ducks all the time but rarely one that was carved.
confirm your duck with a second duck. (his mate)
BTW ... I do know for a fact that the duck in the picture listed above is confirmed by a second duck.
that's all I will say until Mesa Buddy says otherwise.

Thom

OP
OP
desertmoons

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008

thanks thom

I will keep an eye out for them. I'm not sure when i will get back out there, depnds on the weather.
But will update when i do. I am going to focus on finding actual carvings to confirm some of the markers i guess.

:)

Heres a closer pic of what is just behind the birdy/frog big formation.

Attachments

• backofbirdyfrog.jpg
    backofbirdyfrog.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 2,614
OP
OP
desertmoons

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008

My beautiful duck is a quack!

Got a chance to go back out today.

I was a bit confused about location of the duck. When i found it again it was about 6 -7 feet upslope above some things I mayl post later (along with views from the seat Thom asked about).

Anyway just to see how deceiving things can be the next 2 pictures are of the same rock formation. One looking uphill at an angle to it, the other directly in front of the the breast of it. I wonder if the carving pointed out by the arrow would be a spanish mark ? Or does it look natural....

The duck formation is about 6-7 feet high.

Attachments

• beautifulduckrevealed.jpg
    beautifulduckrevealed.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 2,481
  • beautifulduck.jpg
    beautifulduck.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 2,480

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Moons,
What you are experiencing with the small marks that don't seem to do anything ....

we call these confirmation marks, I believe these are there to let the searcher know that what he is looking at is there for a reason and not just by coincidence.

Thom

OP
OP
desertmoons

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008

Thanks dsty..You know one can see a lot of things that look out of place compared to what is going on elsewhere cause we all have good imaginations! ....but this sharp face/slim site has me wondering. I see some of the same things you see. Remember my original idea was to map out a theorized spanish trail for the fun and history of this, maybe write a little article on it.

I 75% believe now I have found a trail . But little sites like this in the area are intriguing. One thing I know for sure i need to get more organized on picture taking, and learn a bit about how to map out or survey things i have found. And a better camera for sure.

The pointer rocks pointing to the 6 side rock are about 5 feet tall.

The flat bird shape rock on the right below the pointer rock by the turtle lying on the ground, I could not find when i walked up on it. I could not find sharpface/slim guy either!! You can be sure I will go back and look again.

The big duck i posted is above this site..not far.
sharpface1
IMG_0037.jpg

A closer view of an eyecatcher? and that oddly familiar looking bell or tombstone shaped rock. It reminds of something i have seen but can not remember what. Not sure why, but it strikes me a something significant if manmade. The bell shaped rock is 3-4 feet tall.

sharpfacebell

IMG_0061.jpg
more

more

Here is a natural marking or possibly a carved marking on a rock supporting one of the pointers.

OP
OP
desertmoons

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008

Here are what the pointers (or maybe just one pointer) are sitting on.

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

OP
OP
desertmoons

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008

Finally here is a pic of the interior of of the space behind the pointers and 6 sided rock.

The black rock seemingly half buried seems out of place..not the same color or shape of surrounding rocks. The shape again oddly familiar and not sure why or what it could mean if anything.

Stepping back from it all it strikes me that the whole affair is shaped sort of like a trench going down hill with the pointer rocks and 6 sided rock at the front of it with a space behind them. The trench or erosion gully is full of big boulders and rocks.

I have to add that I've not found anything I would consider a definitive carving or mark in rock to confirm this is something man made. So for now it is interesting and nice to speculate about ..but that is all.

IMG_0064.jpg

OP
OP
desertmoons

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Re: RattleSnake Hill - just a few pics - speculation welcome, new pics 08/18/08

Here's the seat site. The seat is about 4-6 feet wide and lays at a west/east angle. It is typical of a few other rocks found where it looks like a boulder rolled out. So I sat my self
down and took a long look around. Don't be fooled by those black "eyes". That kind of rock is weathering out all over the place. Still i am starting to wonder if sometimes those sorts of things were caliched on.

seat
IMG_0082.jpg

So I look to the left (west) and what do i see? What do you see? Please let me know! I start to wonder if Senor Obvious was attached to the survey party. However, I restrain my thoughts realizing i am ignorant and prone to see patterns where there are none.

rocknrobin1
IMG_0090.jpg

more

OP
OP
desertmoons

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008

Here's a close up. Does it look carved to you?

IMG_0093.jpg

Later on I will show you what is 360 degrees North (directly north) But for now I continue to look around and it seems that the seat generally causes you to look at this....

IMG_0092f.jpg

more

OP
OP
desertmoons

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008

To the right of the rectangular standing rock with the three pieced "head" on it on the ground is a flat rock pointed on at least one end..with something on it. But for now here are close ups.

seatguy2
IMG_0089.jpg

seatguy3
IMG_0091.jpg

more

OP
OP
desertmoons

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008

Here is that flat rock up close. A very smooth black rock unlike anything in the area sits on it. It is flat on the bottom.

blackrock
IMG_0097.jpg

So I pulled out my compass and took a bearing to magnetic North. Did not have to turn much, to do so at all may 10-20 degrees. And directly north points to the upright rock, and in the distance, to that hill nestled among the others behind that rock. Looks like a nice trail wends itself up the far slope toward it though hard to see in this pic.

trailnorth
IMG_0088f.jpg

Well, thats it for now. Hope you all enjoyed it. Any and all comments, wild speculation, idle day dreaming or help greatly appreciated!

PS: Thom, The turtle I posted a week or so ago earlier actually points to something else that is definitely spooky looking. It has nothing to do with the seat site.

And I had my sites mixed up..too. taking notes is a must I am finding out!

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Re: RattleSnake Hill - speculation welcome, new pics 08/18/08

Moons,

I have always thought it was amazing that once the Spanish cleared and used these trails,
That they would survive the centuries with very little recurrence of vegetation overgrowth, or erosion.

The trails become obvious to a trained eye.
I especially like to see them later in the year as the snow tends to settle in the trail making a ribbon of white across the landscape.

Thom

OP
OP
desertmoons

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Re: RattleSnake Hill - the wandering aimlessly continues new pics 08/26/08

Well..its just hard to stay away once you start hunting markers. I decided to take a closer look at the turtle.

IMG_0193.jpg

I walk closer..and oh..it is not of one piece..it is of 2 pieces. Hmmm,,may be natural. Then again it could be a profile turtle. Only meant to be seen from one side.

IMG_0218.jpg

A closer look...

more

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread