airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cairns!

I know they're not naturally occuring - someone had to stack em. I seem to notice them whenever I see them. In the city, on a country road or up in the mountains? I don't want to venture too far or look too deep - I wouldn't want to find a drug stash or a body. :o

How did I first become aware of them? There was a place above Kapowsin, WA - the Champion timber company land. About 10 years ago, a friend of mine and I would go shooting in that area, and the road up there travesed a clear cut on a steep slope, where the road switch-backed. It seemed like every single stump was cut at about 2-3 feet off the ground and there was a rock on it. EVERY SINGLE stump on the hillside it seemed! There was even a boulder, it must have weighed a half ton, was sitting on a stump that couldn't have been 6 inches around.

My explaination? kids might've done the stacking, but it is pretty far out of the way and I would think kids performing shenanigans would get bored after an hour or two. Rolling rocks? highly unlikely, IMO. The company man, with a scoop or bucket? naw - time is money and either way you go, it would be a waste.

I always had some vision of a 7 foot, Goonies lookin' guy - from the Hills Have Eyes or something - some fourteen year old giant that has OCD or something. Everytime I drove through there, the doors were locked!

HAHA on me. :(

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
That there may be a stash under them is the biggest mistake people make.
If they are Spanish they were set up to mark trails.
These things were meant to be seen from great distances...
Usually from one to the next, with a directional indicator on the top.
They can be seen in sequence (from this one to the next) sometimes as far as 7 or 8 miles away !
And uninformed folks go out and tear these great pieces of history apart ...
Glad to hear (for what ever reason) you aren't one of them.

Thom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread