Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
The Mysterious Lost Ship of the Mojave
Tue, Nov 25, 2008
Featured

Intrepid explorer Charley Clusker treks across a desolate landscape, never taking his eyes off the horizon should he loose track of his precious path. Parched and dry from the desert winds and scorching sun, the emergence of a tall ship would ordinarily seem nothing more than a mirage, but Clusker knows that this strange, hazy vision before him is no trick off the mind. Senses in check he heads towards the marooned vessel, with increasing vigor on every step. He has found exactly what he was looking for – the mythical Lost Ship of the Mojave.

Legends say that deep in California’s Salton Sea Basin lies an ancient tall ship filled with pearls and other goodies that would make a pirate’s Christmas. And, although there are a number of theories, no one knows for sure where the ship came from or how it got there.

The first story dates back to the early 1600s when King Phillip of Spain sent a fleet to the western coast of Mexico to dive for pearls, which at the time could fetch a pretty penny. The group didn’t find as many pearls as they thought they would, so when they came across a Native American village that had baskets of the round beauties just lying around they offered lush European garments in exchange for scores of pearls.

When it came to the trade, however, the Spanish duped the Native Americans and swapped the pearls for rags instead. Outraged, the tribe attacked the ship as it tried to set sail, wounding the captain who ordered the two other ships in the fleet to continue looking for pearls in the Gulf of California. Here it’s thought one of the ships struck a reef and was sunk, but before it was completely submerged the crew ferried all the treasures to the one remaining ship. It carried on up the Colorado River and into the Salton Sea where it met its demise.

Storms, freak flooding, earthquakes and a rapidly evaporating sea have all been blamed for the eventual beaching of the ship, which is now said to lie 100 miles inland, buried in what was once the bottom of a lake or sea.

The ship was long forgotten about until the 1800s when stories started to crop up around southern California about a ghost-like ship half-buried in the desert. Questions were rife about how it got there, and so curious explorers started to search for the ship, and its precious load.

Many people have set out to find it over the years and most failed until Charley Clusker and his expedition decided to give it a go. The Los Angeles Star reported in 1870, November 12:

“Charley Clusker and a party started out again this morning to find the mythical ship upon the desert this side of Dos Palmas. Charley made the trip three or four weeks ago, but made the wrong chute and mired his wagon fifteen miles from Dos Palmas. He is satisfied from information he has received from the Indians that the ship is no myth. He is prepared with a good wagon, pack saddles, and planks to cross the sandy ground.”
Then on December 1 the same year the San Bernardino Guardian stated:

“Charley Clusker and party returned from the desert yesterday, just as we were going to press. They had a hard time of it, but they have succeeded in their effort. The ship has been found! Charley returns to the desert today, to reap the fruition of his labors. He was without food or water, under a hot broiling sun for over twenty-four hours, and came near perishing.”
Along with his party, Clusker had found an ornately carved Spanish galleon sunk in the desert, far from any water and laden with masts, crosses and treasures. He set off not long after to collect the abandoned loot but, much like the elusive ship, was never seen again.

Since then only a handful of explorers have tried to find the ship and its booty again but none of them have produced evidence that either the ship, or its cargo, exists. Of course, it will never stop people looking for it.

kenb

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Ken,
I am VERY aware of this story... Charlie used the paper to pay for his romp out on the desert, to scout possible mines spots. He used the lost ship story as a cover. Charlie was all over the desert and the press tried to milk the tale.

PLL

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OHIO Ken: This has been discussed before in here . Perhaps someone can suggest where, or search for it, and bring it up to date in here.? Incidentally, it is south of the Border in the Pinacates zone . SE of Mexicali.

Don Jose de La Mancha

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey real,
you must be talking about tjis pic

lostship3.jpg

PLL

Attachments

• lostship3.jpg
    lostship3.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,014

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i fear its lost forever :dontknow:

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey gang,
Real, according to the story it was found in the Yuha Desert in the 1960's... The guy holding the collar is Mortin Childers from EL Centro Ca. Here's another pic

lostship4.jpg

PLL

Attachments

• lostship4.jpg
    lostship4.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,030

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting.

Believe it or not I first learned of this story reading Disney comics as a kid. Carl Barks, the creator of Uncle Scrooge and many other Disney comics characters used to use stories he read in National Geographic for the Disney comics he wrote and drew. I read one article where he said that the "Ship of the Desert" story of his was based on such an article. So if anyone has access to NG from the 30's to the 50's you may want to look into it.

I have not read much about the real ship of the desert but this is what I remember reading. Back in the time of the Spanish explorers the Rio Grand river was much larger then it is today and was able to be navigated by Galleons and other ships. The one account I read stated that the Spanish ship was carried inward over land by a large wave. Now how far inland is debatable, but it would be the find of a lifetime to locate that ship. I imagine the tales of treasure could have been added to the story to spice things up over the years but who knows.

One interesting site that I have not read all of yet: http://www.klaxo.net/hofc/other/lostship.htm

HH,

Scott (MI)

Yellow Hammer

Nov 17, 2008
Anaheim Ca and Quartzsite Az
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200v2/GP4500
I think I have covered ever inch of the Salton sea as a kid and an adult with my dad. We have hunted quail, dove, duck and mule deer. I've ran my detector for gold and never seen anything like what is in the pic. If you look at the pic they are in a dry lake bed. That would have been at the south end of the sea Where the new river came in (you can see on old spanish maps) before the flood. If it's there it is under water now. There is a town and a stage stop under there also. Look at the second pic that is a steel cable with a clivs on it. It's NOT from the 1600 no way It would have been rope and by the 1960's there would have been nothing left.

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey gang,
This and pegleg are my most treasured stories. Mortin is holding on to - what I believe- is the mast of a small ship, and the collar is interesting. Mortin worked for the local college down in Imperial Valley. He was the one that found the Yuha Man as well, ( supposedly over 10000 yrs old- or close to that ). Maybe some of the shipwreck boys would be able to date the collar. Clusker went looking in the 1800's and did not find anything. There is another version of the story that states a rancher in Imperial found the remains of a ship and sold all the gems from it, around 1907. He left Imperial Valley with about $150K, he was there only for 10 years and came with $4000. All he did was raise hogs... I dare ANYONE to show me how back in 1907 a rancher can make $ 103K in 10 years...I know where he lived, and have been told where the " dune " was that the ship was buried. The problem is, to get there one would have to know where the house was, and back then they were tent homes. Wood on the bottom and halfway up the sides, then a canvas roof.

This pix is from the Imperial Valley Museum to show what a " tent house " looked like.
PICT0685.JPG

There would be no trace of the home today, it's a farmers field and has been since 1917. But I'm still looking....

PLL

P

pippinwhitepaws

"I dare ANYONE to show me how back in 1907 a rancher can make $ 103K in 10 years."

well, not to disuade you from your search, but the mexican revolution was a big money maker. and that area of the border did in fact have several weapons supply routes into mexico.

state department records concerning the internal affairs of mexico is an interesting read.

Pack Rat

Nov 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He didn't make the money being just a simple "hog" farmer, he made it by building a great piece of Real Estate. see the following:

"Feb. 24, 1912 The San Bernardino County Sun INVEST $4000, SELLS OUT FOR $137,250- Nels Jacobson retires with fortune after ranching seven years. One of the largest land deals in the history of Imperial Valley has been closed here, involving the sale of the 800 acre ranch and livestock of Nels Jacobson, five miles east of Imperial for the sum of $137,250. The appraisement was made on the basis of $100,000 for the land and $37,250 for the livestock, consisting of horses, cattle and hogs. Mrs. Irene J. Mitchell and son of Tulare, Tulare County are the purchasers. Nels Jacobson and wife came from Highland seven years ago, with $4000 and an abundance of energy and pluck. He secured a relinquishment for 320 acres, threw off his coat and proceeded to raise horses and hogs. By thrift and hard work he began to prosper. Three years ago he began to add to his land holdings, which he has steadily increased from time to time, until he had acquired a total of 8 acres, generally acknowledged to be one of the best stock ranches in the entire valley. Mr. & Mrs. Jacobson feel that they are entitled to a long vacation, and will leave soon for his old home in Norway, for a long visit."

Jacobson was actually looking for land as early as 1901...

"Oct. 12, 1901 The Imperial Press (Imperial, CA.) Nels Jacobson was here several days last week from Highland, looking for a location"

Not to mention, Nels Jacobson was already ranching in Highland and was very successful there.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
FYI - There's a sub-Forum - "Lost Pearl Ship" - under Treasure Legends and, I believe, another thread under General Discussion.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Scott:

Could be: "The Colorado Desert" by W.C. Mendenhall, National Geographic Magazine, Aug. 1909.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
There was something on here just within the past 15 months about someone finding part of a hull on a cliff side or something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread