$28,000 in gold coins/Discovery Channel

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Cool show last night on Discovery Channel about Jesse James. They showed this guy Bob Brewer who has been on the trail of James' buried money and he has found a cache of gold coins and thinks there's much more out there. James' took the equivilant of about $10 million in today's money (face value translation, not considering additional value). Here's info about Brewer's find (he wrote a book, "Rebel Gold").

Mr. Brewer, a retired Navy helicopter crewman, returned to his hometown in Hatfield, Ark., in 1977, a stranger to all but the outlines of this Southern lore. He had served two tours in Vietnam and was glad to settle back into the community where two previous generations of Brewers had lived out quiet lives. He thought the store-porch stories he heard while catching up with old-timers were simply fables. Except for one thing: As a boy he had heard the same tales of buried gold hinted at by his uncle, Odis Ashcraft ? who had heard them from his father.
The tales and the talismans soon fascinated Mr. Brewer ? marks on ancient beech trees, crude pictures carved on boulders. A skilled navigator, he was soon working with detailed topographical maps, a pair of dividers and a metal detector ? drawing lines between local landmarks, then walking the lines and probing the earth.
The hobby became a passion when in the early '90s he found a pint jar stuffed with old coins, including gold pieces, all dating from 1802 to 1889, and valued at about $28,000. Mr. Brewer found another such trove a few months later. The hobbyist would become obsessed with deciphering the Confederate codes.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just Finished Watching it.

? ? ? ? ?I Recorded it Last Night to Watch This Morning.

? ? ? ? ?Was Intresting show.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Jeff

The Info on the KGC Code was Intresting Also

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
The thing is, if this guy found something spectacular he would have no reason to disclose it due to tax issues and other potential things (original ownership questions, if it was loot from a train robbery, etc). Always best to zip the lips...

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
I kind of watched this with one eye and one ear, not getting too into it, so I hope I'm not off base here. But, SWR brings up a good point. Perhaps this story is intended to sell books and TV time, rather than actually bring a clear answer to interested parties.

Larry KS

Mar 20, 2003
Guys, I have known Bob Brewer VERY well for the past eight years and I can promise you this,........he has found the cache shown on TV and others besides. I have, in the past, held a double handful of double eagles that he had found. I have also seen him hand over a beautiful $20 gold coin to the Bob and Ed fund to help fight their court battle.

I have been to the site of the Solomon's Temple cache and it is on government land. There is no way anyone could recover it and keep anything. Your government would have all of it in a heart beat.

The show wasn't to help sell the book. It doesn't need help.

Larry KS

J

Just Lookin

I own the book and have read it. I wished i would have know the show was going to air. If anyone knows if it will be re played, I would appreicate the heads up. I would like to watch it. Thanks

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SUNDAY NOVEMBER 6th 5:00 PM EASTERN TIME on DISCOVERY CHANNEL

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
This is very interesting and my skepticism was not intended as criticism of Mr Brewer. Can anyone explain what Solomon's Treasure is, for those, like me, who may never have heard of it. Thanks.

JAG

Nov 16, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Rebel Gold: One Man's Quest to Crack the Code Behind the Secret Treasure of the Confederacy

ISBN: 0743219694
Publish Date: 1/1/2005
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Dimensions (in Inches) 8H x 5.25L x 0.75T
Pages: 320

Jerry

b1pw3ha said:
What's the name of his book? And is it still in print?

arkobnrs

Feb 8, 2006
Was there anything mentioned on this program about finding a buried snake? maybe made of cast iron? I remember seeing something on a kcg treasure in Arkansas and have been trying to remember where in the world I saw this. Without any luck at all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread