CW Soldier Found

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
crashbro17x said:
John (Ma) said:
Wow, that is quite interesting, thanks for sharing! I wonder if they will be looking for more in the area now or let it rest.

I know that they have stoped construction. I would think that they would probably have some sort of historical dig there to preserve anything else, but who knows. It's a shame that progress has taken over much of the battles of Franklin, Murfreesboro, and Nashville.

Considering how hard the archeologist community comes down on us, if they don't do something with this site, that could be a truly historical crime.

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
Good job thanks

foreverRich

Mar 31, 2009
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000
,GTA1000, Discovery3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he had a dog tag it would have probably looked like this one I found in Suffolk. It had belonged to a Union soldier stationed there during the Civil War.

Attachments

• Civil War Dog Tag4.jpg
    Civil War Dog Tag4.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 872
  • Civil War Dog Tag4.jpg
    Civil War Dog Tag4.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 868

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plehbah said:
ivan salis said:
wonder if the burger king will --have a "union --hurrah burger " and "rebel yell burger" on thier menu ? to remind folks of what the store was built on? :'(

You are a marketing genius. This is an opportunity for Burger King to grow market share (Civil War buffs) in a very mature market.

How about a "smuggle some quinine in your petticoats chicken dunkers" or some "burn the cotton and shoot yourselves before the Yankees get here BBQ bacon burgers"?

Those little graves are all over the place. Not every "jacket set" was discarded. Such is the nature of that war, and the landscape it was fought on and over.

I am a little indifferent about the bones being reburied with honors, and really about old bones in general.

I would rather he had finished out his natural life when everything still mattered.

Plehbag you are as always, thoughtful and brilliant in your post. I do not see Southerners shooting ourselves either as Ivan said. Am sure we must have been thinking of much more desirable targets. 8)

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
Neat story.....thanks for sharing with us

Good Luck and Happy Hunting,

Dugholes

R

rammjäger

skylarking1970 said:
Some people may wonder why is it important that we preserve history. History reminds us where we came from, what struggles we had to overcome, and how difficult everyday life once was. We are blessed to have things as easy as we do today. By forgetting our past, we take things for granted. We become desensitized. We become a people less grateful for what we have, and become a people that simply just want more and more and more. Simplicity is always best. It's funny because I see or world becoming more and more like that 70's film Logan's Run. A society that does not remember it's past, and walk around just like cattle because everything has been so easy for them.

You are right ! :thumbsup:

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
............................................MAY GOD REST HIS WEARY SOUL.............................................................

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There were no dog tags during the Civil War.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
while true there was no there were no govt issued "dog tags" --- there were however "imsurance" indenty disc fairly often-- with numbers on them that said if found on my body send to ----- whatever insurance company--- via the number they could figger out who died amd thus who's family was due payment --- they used numbers rather than "names" --how many john smiths might there be? but theres only 1 ---#234367 --- if one bought a "policy" one was issued a "numbered" tag to carry. ---often sadly these insurance tags were buried in the pockets of the dead soldiers --their family unaware that he had ever gotten a policy never put forth a "claim" so the money went unclaimed . --- even to this very day insurance companies are loath to give out info on who matches up with a tag number --for fear the living next of kin family of the dead soldier --might file a "claim" for payment --- think of it say a $100 policy in 1864 that say should have been paid * --its now 2009 --- 145 years later !!! each year that that money was not "properly" paid out it gathered interest and grew --lets say 3% --- year 1 ---from 100 to 103 --- year 2 --103 to 106.05 ---- 106.05 to 109.27 and so on getting bigger and bigger for 145 years with the insurance company getting richer and richer off it ,year by year , the insurance companies do not want to pay out on these old claims --shoo be gone with you.

R

rammjäger

These excavator maschines destroy in a minute every
trace of history .
Tons of ground transported in trucks will be re-placed
somewhere and the relics that lay within 0 - 1 mtr. depht are buried
so under many meters depth afterwards.... very sad indeed !
In a construction site they should allow detectorists inspect the area
before digging with the maschines.... OK - that's my opinion ::)
Regards,
RJ

foreverRich

Mar 31, 2009
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000
,GTA1000, Discovery3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Salvor6 said:

It is true that there were no government issued dog tags during the Civil War, but as stated there were Identification Tags made by insurance companies and private roadside Sutlers that were carried by the soldiers so their body could be identified if they were killed in battle. There are companies on the internet that make reproductions of them to be sold to collectors or Civil War re-enactors.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
foreverRich said:
Salvor6 said:

It is true that there were no government issued dog tags during the Civil War, but as stated there were Identification Tags made by insurance companies and private roadside Sutlers that were carried by the soldiers so their body could be identified if they were killed in battle. There are companies on the internet that make reproductions of them to be sold to collectors or Civil War re-enactors.

Does your ID disc have a soldier's name and unit on it?

foreverRich

Mar 31, 2009
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000
,GTA1000, Discovery3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
foreverRich said:
Salvor6 said:

Does your ID disc have a soldier's name and unit on it?

Yes, The info on the back of the Dog Tag was:

E. McEvoy
Co. E
96 Regt.
NY I.V.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread