CW Soldier Found

crashbro17x

Dec 20, 2008
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300 w/950 coil, Bounty Hunter, Discover 3300 w/a 10" Bounty Hunter, Magnum Power Search Coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Wow, that is quite interesting, thanks for sharing! I wonder if they will be looking for more in the area now or let it rest.

OP
OP
crashbro17x

crashbro17x

Dec 20, 2008
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300 w/950 coil, Bounty Hunter, Discover 3300 w/a 10" Bounty Hunter, Magnum Power Search Coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
John (Ma) said:
Wow, that is quite interesting, thanks for sharing! I wonder if they will be looking for more in the area now or let it rest.

I know that they have stoped construction. I would think that they would probably have some sort of historical dig there to preserve anything else, but who knows. It's a shame that progress has taken over much of the battles of Franklin, Murfreesboro, and Nashville.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
:o i wonder if theres any id :-\

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a cool video. Thanks for sharing. Yeah I have a couple of historical sites in my area as well. The main site in town is owned by an individual. I haven't asked to detect it. I am finding alot of Civil war finds at an unlikely site right now as a matter of fact. Was just out detecting the area and started to pull 3 ringers out of the ground, along with a heel plate and then more period items. You never know what you will find untill you get out there and dig.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
shaun7 said:

Interesting story. it used to happen around me (Northern Virginia) pretty often. Just a few years ago they dug up several together in a grave near Manassas while expanding a McDonald's parking lot.

As they were building the big shopping mall near me (mid 80's on the Ox Hill/Chantilly battlefield) a metal detectorist found a complete set of tunic buttons and other items in a small area. Turned out to be the grave of a Confederate officer from North Carolina. They were able to identify him and send the remains back to NC for proper burial. Just like the video showed in this recent find, there wasn't enough left to fill a shoe box.

Cool but kinda creepy to me...

DCMatt

Ronin9868

Jan 2, 2007
South Eastern VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab SE, 12x15 and the 10x12 Butterfly Excel, 12.5 Excel,18.5 Excel
Wow, that would be creepy. I bet there were buttons on that spot!!!!

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hope the soldier will get a respectable re-burial, if they can identify the remains. Interesting story and finds.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
DCMatt said:
shaun7 said:

Interesting story. it used to happen around me (Northern Virginia) pretty often. Just a few years ago they dug up several together in a grave near Manassas while expanding a McDonald's parking lot.

As they were building the big shopping mall near me (mid 80's on the Ox Hill/Chantilly battlefield) a metal detectorist found a complete set of tunic buttons and other items in a small area. Turned out to be the grave of a Confederate officer from North Carolina. They were able to identify him and send the remains back to NC for proper burial. Just like the video showed in this recent find, there wasn't enough left to fill a shoe box.

DCMatt

wow! any idea how they id'd him? did they have dog tags in the civil war?

i don't think dna was that good then :icon_scratch:

M

MiniMe

That's sad :( . I hope they give him a proper burial, like they said in the article.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
shaun7 said:
DCMatt said:
shaun7 said:

DCMatt

They found enough stuff to know his rank and that he was from NC. Records of officers deaths were good enough to figure it out.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
DCMatt said:
shaun7 said:
DCMatt said:
shaun7 said:

DCMatt

They found enough stuff to know his rank and that he was from NC. Records of officers deaths were good enough to figure it out.

must be a better chance for this soldier with what they can do today :-\

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon
Cool story. My grandfather tells a story about some pipeline workers in my hometown (Sabine Pass TX) after WWII who ran into a Confederate grave site while laying a pipeline through the marsh. According to my grandfather, the pipeline company dug a new hole. buried the remains, and moved on with the pipeline operation. They knew if they told the state the operation would stop. It's a shame but that is how they did business back then.

JP

skylarking1970

Feb 17, 2009
Kent Read, Kent Write, Kent State!!!!!! Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum
That really ticks me off! In the name of "progress" (i.e. building a Burger King, Mc Donald's, or Wal Mart) we are forgetting our history and past, and how men gave their lives on those hollow grounds so that the country can survive. Currently there is a battle with Wal Mart because they want to build on a spot close to, or on where a battle took place. I think we need to honor what those men sacrifices, and remember the history of our country, and prohibit building on spots of historical significance. Once an area is build upon, it is gone forever.
Fortunately, several years ago I was able to help with a dig on a site of the Battle of Fallen Timbers, just outside Toledo Ohio. Developers in the area wanted to build there, but thankfully a college professor thought that the battle had in fact taken place at that location, instead of where historians thought it was at. Anyways, they conducted the dig, and found enough items to prove that, that is the location where the battle actually took place at. I was lucky enough to find a musket ball. I think because of this, it was turned into a national park, and the development was never built.

http://www2.heidelberg.edu/FallenTimbers/

We need to preserve more of these areas, and not care so much about the all mighty dollar. We already have enough Burger Kings, Wal Marts, and Mc Donalds!

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting the story. Very interesting indeed.

Crashbro17x,

Is it close to areas you hunt?

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awsome news clips good to know he will get a proper grave now,sure would be cool if they could ID him,think of the story that family would have to tell.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions