Man Turns in Dad (after he dies) for millions in Stolen treasure

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And absolutely NO mention of a metal detector. :wav:
Yep, "they" can't blame US with any of THIS. :laughing9:

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Over and over they refer to this collection as stolen loot. Then they go on to say that he purchased the items, sometimes entire households from owners? But there is no mention of the owners being shady at all, or black market rings, or whatever..... something seems fishy about the story, something being left out here methinks. :-\

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Apparently this guy bought it, but bought it from thieves....he must have known it was stolen, however.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Bergie said:
Apparently this guy bought it, but bought it from thieves....he must have known it was stolen, however.

Thats the part that was mysteriously left out.

Shiloh1

Mar 9, 2009
Hendersonville, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he purchased the items and had many sent in crates he would of, it would seem, had to have a receipt for all the items to get them past customs. It doesn't seem to add up, but again you can't always believe what the authorities drum up for charges. They can make a little old lady look like Bonnie of the famed Bonnie and Clyde and make you believe it with hardly any kind of proof at all. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500 with EagleEye.
Primary Interest:
Other
Boy, that guy had no imagination as a kid, and doesn't have one now either. If his family is allowed to keep some of the loot, then why doesn't he? I would.

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
i think your right Jeffro, there is no documentation that any of the items were ever stolen from anyone, in fact they were purchased and transported legally, long before UNESCO was even in existance. ( besides isn't there some type of statute of limitations on things like this ? ).

Also what they are not taking into account is that, in many of the old countries they have a very different idea from us, of what constitutes a valuable antiquity from musty old junk. they were probably happy to sell that old junk at the time. i think the artifacts or the profits from the sale of them, should go to the family of the deceased man or his heirs. and if that one brother doesn't want his share, perhaps he could donate it to the foodbank that he works at.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread