MY FIND. PLEASE HELP ME IN FIGURING AGE.

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
I recently acquired what I was told as a "Celtic" brooch. After thoroughly scrutinizing this piece,I am convinced that it is much older. It looks like something that could have come from an ancient shipwreck. I am going to enclose a couple of photos for you, and see if you might give me your "feeling" on this piece. I have figured out that someone wired on a brace and soldered a pin and a clasp on this brace, so as to not damage the gold, (which acid tests to be high carat 20-22K). Also originally it appeared to have enamel work, that has all but disappeared over time. It measures 3x2 inches and weighs 47 grams.
If you can think of someone who can advise me on this piece, I would love to make contact with them, as I am anxious to learn more about this intriguing piece.
Here are some pictures;

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
It looks Byzantine, or eastern European. the pin looks like it's very recent, within the last 100 yrs. Check some of the old European jewelry sites out there.

OP
OP
gemee

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
The pin back itself IS from within the last century, BUT it is not original to this piece. It was expertly added on without solder. The "pendant" I believe is older. Much older.

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The pattern between the stones is strikingly similar to gold Spanish cobs of the early 1700s. Given also the cut of the stones, and your description of the gold, I'd start my research in that region and time period. The appearance isn't inconsistent with artifacts from the Spanish treasure fleets, and if it is a genuine piece from that era you might find it listed in an auction handbook. I am not an expert in this type of thing, but maybe this will give you a place to start.

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear Gemee;
Just from looking at the pics, I would say that it was made in the late 1800s to the early 1900s. The cut of the stones places the brooch in that timeframe, along with the style of the brooch. The stones are "gypsy set' which is also a reatively new setting technique. And yes, the piece was definitely enameled once, however enameling did not appear unti about the mid-16th century. The flour-de-lil leaves were cast and that process didn't appear until themid to late 1800s. The piece appears to have been cast as a 'blank' then it was finished by hand. The style of the piece along with the engraving on the scrollwork places it of middle Eastern or maybe Indian origin. Also, the type of stones and the cut of them would place the piece in this general region as well.
Your friend;
LAMAR

OP
OP
gemee

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
Thank you for the guess Lamar. A few weeks ago I sent this to one of the countries foremost appraisers. This is what I received back;

http://gemee1.com/ASIevaluationpage.jpg

Appraised "Insurance Replacement Cost"=$17,500

I am in the process of submitting my piece to Butterfields, for their Dec. Fine Jewelry Auction. I will let you know the outcome.

OP
OP
gemee

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
I figured this as my once-in-a -lifetime deal. I think most of us land on one in our life. This was mine. I couldn't sleep for a week after I got it. I had no idea as to the age of it. The seller stated that it was late 1800s/early 1900s and Celtic. She did not know it was gold. I didn't either, but I suspected maybe 14k. I posted a picture on the eBay jewelry chat board, and they were the ones that tipped me off to the possible age and value. I will be forever grateful to them!! Here is the auction (I "edited" it, because you just never know if she might have something else. lol http://gemee1.com/greenbrooch.htm

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Gemee,
Don't you just love to find great items like that. My family has been in the antique business for many years and one of the best finds I can remember is buying a "Lalique" vase at a yard sale for a quarter. The vase was greenish blue and dirty, and even had a small chip in the base. Some of the older "Lalique" is very rare. To make along story short, I ended up selling the vase on eBay to a collector for $2600.00. Gotta love it!

Great Find and keep up the good work!

Robert in SC

OP
OP
gemee

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
Great story, Robert!!! I was at an estate sale about 10 years ago, held by seasoned dealers. Out in the back yard sitting on the ledge of a fence, was an old tiered pyramid shaped perfume bottle, with the perfume still in it. The stopper was also intact. I had a dealer friend with me, that said "That is UGLY! I wouldn't own it! " It was marked .50 cents, so I bought it. On the way to the car, I tilted the bottle up, and saw etched in the bottom R. Lalique. I gave it to my mom. I guess some day I will inherit it back.
I never get tired of hearing about other people's treasure stories! Thank you for sharing yours.

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Spectacular! I guess not all treasure is buried... Congratulations, and thanks for sharing with us!

Boardwalker

Greenie
Mar 29, 2005
This piece is beautifully crafted. Although the bezels on the jewels look a bit rough, one would expect this in a piece as old as this. Actually, if it is Celtic or Gaelic, it could be from as early as the 1600's somewhere.

The goldsmithing definitely does have a Byzantine or Moorish look about it. I am no expert, and somewhere there is a jewellery expert who has perhaps been on the "Antique Roadshow" who can tell you what it is and what it is worth.

My question....if the pin was added after the fact, what was it before it was a brooch.

Boardwalker

F

Floater

UUUGGGHHH Boardwalker read post # 6.

Great Story and I hope it sells for more. You never know where the the next treasure is going to be.

B

brla

gemee said:
I recently acquired what I was told as a "Celtic" brooch. After thoroughly scrutinizing this piece,I am convinced that it is much older. It looks like something that could have come from an ancient shipwreck. I am going to enclose a couple of photos for you, and see if you might give me your "feeling" on this piece. I have figured out that someone wired on a brace and soldered a pin and a clasp on this brace, so as to not damage the gold, (which acid tests to be high carat 20-22K). Also originally it appeared to have enamel work, that has all but disappeared over time. It measures 3x2 inches and weighs 47 grams.
If you can think of someone who can advise me on this piece, I would love to make contact with them, as I am anxious to learn more about this intriguing piece.
Here are some pictures;

1st picture cost a lot of money i can only tell u this so watch how much u selling it.

pickaback

Jul 12, 2005
PA
It is so beautiful. As soon as I saw the picture (before I saw what it was worth), I was wondering if you had plans to sell it. You have a good eye.
pickaback

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread