Largest Hoard of Anglo-Saxon Treasure

joecoin

Aug 22, 2007
milan ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov, Garrett Antique
haybudden2 said:
joecoin: If he didn't use a Whites Spectrum, then it must be someone
elses detector you can see over his left shoulder in the pictures of him.

Hay2

Maybe it's his spare detector and just happened to be handy when they took the photo? Otherwise, I stand corrected. Thank you. :notworthy:

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
All this my detector is better than your detector crap is something that should be left at the junior school gates. I thought the people on here were ADULTS ???
People buy a detector according to what they can afford, what type of terrain they will be hunting, what type of artifact they will be hunting, what thier physical condition is, how much trash is in the ground, and a whole load of other factors. If they´re happy with it, let them be happy.

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
Saturna said:
Salvor6 said:
The treasure hunter, Terry Herbert, is not a tnet member. I know that when treasure hunters in Florida find something, they keep their mouth shut. :icon_pirat:

With good reason. They will get screwed by the state. Florida appears to be treasure hunter hostile, with the expected results. Why does only England seem to 'get it right' ?

It's not just Florida, but the U.S. in general will screw people out
of what they find. For example, here in Nebraska...if you find, even
on private land, Native American artifacts and report it, the state can
seize that land for research and not even give the land owners a dime.

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
Dano Sverige said:
Saxon hoards,viking hoardes,Roman hoards,Celtic hoards...don't ya just hate us? lol.

I don't think the guy who said "he'll get a pat on the back,should have kept his mouth shut"..knows the rules in the UK.Don't think he was being "selfish",just government wary? lol.

Every week hundreds of items are found and reported to the authorities in the UK.Not all are declared "treasure" at an inquest,but those that are are then valued,and museums can pay the value price to purchase the goods.The value price is then split 50-50 between the finder and land owner.Any decent detectorist has a form that's filled in by him and the landowner stating this BEFORE they even go into a field.Saves all the hassle later if something like this hoard is found. :)Never ceases to amaze me just how much stuff is found in the UK.It's a wonder the Romans,Vikings etc ever managed to get anywhere at all seeing as they seem to have lost everything they ever owned! :laughing9:

Gonna be a lot of upset new Whites owners i think! :wink:

So you find something good and run back and tell the landowner and the STATE. He says Bye Bye and you turn him into a treasure hunter. Then the state comes and digs up HIS land and then gives HIM Fair Market Value? FMV is always on the low end of the scale.

Getting someone to sign a form anywhere would be a feat in today's times. Example: Do you think somethings valuable on my property?

P.S. I'm not trying to argue here. I'm trying to make a point why we keep our mouth's shut about finds we may make.
Newt

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
In the UK, most land owners don´t have the time or inclination to go out "Treasure Hunting", and are more than happy with the 50% of any LARGE FIND, leaving most small finds (Which in themselves can be worth hundreds of pounds) to the hunter.
I think that the vast majority of the English still have a sense of "Gentlemanly Agreement" preferance and stick to it, even with a paper bit attached, as opposed to other bits of the world where lawyers and court squablings become everyday occurences (Although there does seem to be a worrying trend lately of some going this course, I think that has to do with the European influence, of sueing, which caught on from the USA).
Just my thoughts !!

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
A lady in UK found a piece of gold that was the size of a postage stamp worth 250k pounds. Because of its rarety.

This man located $176k in gold weight alone not including any stones and silver. Some of the war swords can be worth over a million a piece if they are rare enough.

My belief is this should be appraised from multiple angles and allowed to be auctioned off should the two owners agree to sell.

yellow1053

Jul 7, 2009
Waltham, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Vision
cdltpx said:
My belief is this should be appraised from multiple angles and allowed to be auctioned off should the two owners agree to sell.
Actually the two owners don't have a say. It has been determined to be treasure trove, therefore it WILL be sold to the museums for fair market value, and the proceeds split between the two owners.

dutchroots

Aug 25, 2007
Actually the two owners don't have a say. It has been determined to be treasure trove, therefore it WILL be sold to the museums for fair market value, and the proceeds split between the two owners.

[/quote]

If the landowner and the finder don't agree with the value placed on the find I believe they can appeal, although I don't know how successful that process usually is.

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Marc said:
Nice video of the hoard......

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/vi..._Largest_Ever_Anglo-Saxon_Gold_Treasure_Trove

I watched a news clip the other day on Sky News (I WISH I could find a copy of it online!) where they interviewed an archaeologist who was just giddy with excitement.... and she said "this is how the treasure scheme is supposed to work... where citizens and government work together".

If I can find that video (anyone want to help me locate it?) we should start an email campaign here in the States, to all our our representatives, to change our laws to be more in line with the UK's! In the U.S. the laws promote clandestine treasure recoveries, and distrust of government!

Not sure if this has been posted, but it's a longer version of your link.
Yours is ~45 sec long.
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/vi...f+Anglo-Saxon+Gold&videoCategory=Latest+Video

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
It's one thing to look at such items cleaned up and behind glass in a museum, but there is something especially fascinating about seeing them being dug up and covered in dirt.

Jay

mR.buLawan

May 29, 2008
Davao City
I'm from philippines and im newbie to this.... my friend bring me to the area where they dig for treasure. A history made there when the japanesse invades our land, it is said that they buried the gold bars during the war, there in that area and we found the signs but im not so sure about our detector. Could you help me in everything what we need in order to accomplish what we begin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread