What is this???

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
index.php

I found this while dredging for gold on Blewett pass in Washington State. It was in the vicinity of a mill and small townsite and the level of creekbed that it came from gave up a lot of square nails. I presume that that would date this before 1920 when the mill was burned and pushed into the creek to make way for the road. Others have told me that it may be decoration from a Hudson Bay Company trading chest but it looks like a hairpiece to me. It is made from cast silver mounted on a copper plate.
Any ideas???

Thanks, Dan

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looks like a decoration that when on a wooden box - probably the top. See that little tag sticking out at the bottom with the perfect circular hole in it? That appears to be where a small nail or screw was being used to attach it. But I'm just guessing based on what i see - it could be anything.

Nice find and as with many old pieces - the devil is in the details of finding out what the heck you've found! looks Victorian era for sure.

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like the backing of a hair brush. I've seen similar brush and mirror covers. Nice find! HH.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One other possibility might be a hair piece for a woman. Just a possibility.

Boardwalker

Greenie
Mar 29, 2005
Judging by the size - appears to be about 2 x 2.5" or maybe slightly larger - and the soft materials (copper and silver), the piece would seem to be decorative, and not intended to be exposed to much heavy hand use or contact with other objects. These materials could also stand little heat, so mounting plate for any kind of machinery is probably out.
These factors would indicate decorative wear, such as an adornment in the hair. However, the little fastening flange at the bottom is troubling and would seem to refute that argument, unless there was a clip on the back. I tend to agree with the notion that it is a decorative fixture on a hair brush or some such item. The hole is so nicely drilled as to eliminate punching and suggests drilling or machining of some kind. The edge of the copper backing is worn and ragged and another bracket may have broken off. The silversmithing is ornate and seems old world in origin. Interesting piece for sure.

Boardwalker

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions