EdleBrock

Nov 5, 2007

Attachments

• 09-24-2009-11;17;11AM[2]_w400.jpg
    09-24-2009-11;17;11AM[2]_w400.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 926
S

stefen

And if it claims it cannot be found with a metal detector, the typed note must date as early as the end of WWII to date.

So if its buried 12 feet deep, it must be in the bottom of an old cistern or well...

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sounds like a prank to me. I bet she finds nothing there.

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
How exciting, to think that someone would bury a lead box 12 feet deep! Looking at the note and key they both look very old and the tape is yellowed. So with all those gold coins buried, several questions come to mind. Who was this person, he had to have an adventurous side, he liked challenges, knew about metal detectors, hid the envelope where no one would discover it, unless they redid the chair. Ok let's see a detailed list of the gold coins to be found for a total of $253.00. Makes me wonder what else is inside the lead box? Could this be a hoax? Yes it could, but Chauncey Wolcott went to some effort to make this look real. I think the adventure is not only trying to discover if the gold is buried there, but the adventure is in the discovery of who was Chauncey Wolcott. Doing research on him will lead to ad adventure all by itself. Who knows what may turn up in the research! With all the great researchers on TNet we might have an answer by the end of the day!!! We could also pass our information on to the couple on this great adventure, so they could know the "rest of the story".

jadewhiskey

Mar 16, 2005
New Hampshire
How exciting... Even if there is nothing there - it's the hunt... It would be fun...

I would love to find something like that - just the excitement of the hunt... I can't imagine...

I hope there is something there for them - please keep us posted on this story... Thanks for sharing.

JadeWhiskey

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Well, trying to research Chauncey Wolcott. There are several listings in ancestry, but mostly in New York. Found a few for the mid 1850's in Illinois, but that note, by looking at the type writer keys, looks about 1920's to 1950's. It does not appear to have a date on the note shown....so going by the type writer keys would give some circa of date. Being the paper is yellowed, I doubt it's a recent note. (I have to change my thought on the 1920's to 1950's on the type writer. Could be maybe 60's to 70's, remembering the type writer my dad had and looking at the text.)

Tried a newspaper search as well. Found one where some guy was playing a "Chauncey Wolcott" in a school play. Read some on that, thinking maybe this note is from a skit in the play...nothing...it was a love story of sort.

Found a few newspaper articles on a Chauncey Wolcott but most in New York again.

Oh Vey...they need to see about the courthouse to get a plat of that area...to see what was on the location. Maybe try the historical society for old photos. I know it said there was a house, but since been torn down, but a map of the area would prob help some. I'll keep looking and if I find anything, I'll contact that paper to contact that lady.

She also needs to check out deeds to the house/land as well.

I hope it's not a hoax, but either way, I would consider that a real fun time!
Annmarie

PS: forgot about the part of this person knowning of metal detectors, so this is the history of them: http://inventors.about.com/od/pstartinventions/a/Metal_Detector.htm

EdleBrock

Nov 5, 2007
Using my googologist skills it appears that the DEXTER type key is most commonly associated with house type locks.

The Dexter Lock Company has been in business since 1909 or so.

Why would a "chest" use a house lock ? Seems strange. Possibly this is a marketing/advertising ploy by Dexter Lock themselves ?

Also, who digs a 12 foot deep hole ? Well digger ? Privy digger ? Crazy person ? Anyone seen plehbah ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seems to me Chauncey was expecting to be alive
and was planning on watching the paper for the story.

What is Chauncey's last name on the BBC Show
"Cash in the attic" ?

I Know it's a stretch and if it was him,
you would think
somone would have caught on and
it would already be Solved,
but, Then again :P

Either way I Would think the Newspaper would have a record of
a
Chauncey Wolcott in the area..

and unless the guy had a beef against the landowner
and wanted the guys property dug up,
or lived there and needed a swimming pool dug,
I would guess it's real.

I'm also Guessing 60's

Because Even though Metal detectors
were around before,
They didn't become well known till
late 60's early 70's

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Here's the latest news: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gfdqKcxmLVrbhs_2B2HkyoBJPbRwD9B1RLQ80

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local-beat/Treasure-Trail-Leads-to-Springfield-62793022.html

http://www.sj-r.com/homepage/x593059852/Dave-Bakke-Antique-hunt-leads-to-treasure-hunt

Just curious...even though one article said SPRINGFIELD, ILL...who is to say this chair was originally in Illinois? I mean, people move and all and what if the folks who owned the chair and the person who put the note there were NOT from ILL? The article says they are NOT finding anything on a Chauncey Wolcott, who could also be CHARLES WOLCOTT. From my research, Chauncey could be another name for Charles or a nickname, or maybe Charles is the English version of Chauncey? This is interesting nonetheless!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eventually turned up a cistern — something onlookers considered promising until it yielded only bricks and antique bottles. Elsewhere on the lot, the digging revealed a well too deep to really scrutinize despite their efforts to siphon out some water.

definately intresting results so far.

I Hope they are checking the Earth Carefully.

That amount of Coins could fit in a Very small
Box, it even could have Busted open

EdleBrock

Nov 5, 2007
I still think the key is the key to the mystery. Why specifically call out the style of the key ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Figured to Prevent someone from Removing the Key
& Replacing it with another.

However you may have a point,

As they could have replaced the Note too.

or simply for Credibility ?

S

stefen

stefen said:
And if it claims it cannot be found with a metal detector, the typed note must date as early as the end of WWII to date.

So if its buried 12 feet deep, it must be in the bottom of an old cistern or well...

Hit that nail on the head :thumbsup:

Today's OC Register, an Orange County based newspaper displayed a picture of the note...which gave specific measurements of where to dig the 12 foot hole...

Obviously, the cistern and well produced some old bottles, bricks, log, mud and other debris...alas, no lead box with gold coins...

Surely, this will become a local legend. However, if those involved did not attempt the discovery dig, they would always questioned their motives, or lack thereof.

As it is, they took the risk for a 50-50 chance at a worthy discovery.

The experience, alone, has been a worthwhile adventure.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Bummer ??? :-\

Social Security Death Index
Name: John Slaven
SSN: 3**-0*-***6
Last Residence: 62702 Springfield, Sangamon, Illinois, United States of America
Born: 3 Feb 1908
Died: May 1976
State (Year) SSN issued: Illinois (Before 1951)

EdleBrock

Nov 5, 2007
LadyDigger said:
Name: John Slaven
Died: May 1976

Well, I believe this is a treasure in the sense that it added intrigue and mystery to several peoples lives in an otherwise depressed socioeconomic environment. He gave hope to a few and peaked the interest of thousands.

John Slaven must have had quite a personality to bring excitement into peoples lives like he did. Even 32 years after he died his legacy of practical jokes continues. His playful attitude set off a crazy sequence of events years after he was gone. He made national news and many, many people that have never heard of him before now know his legacy.

Well played John.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions