Ezekiel Quillins hidden money.

K

Kentucky Kache

Ezekiel Quillin's hidden money.

(Story found on the web).

Quillin, Ezekiel Polk "Polk", Second great grand uncle
"Polk" Quillen is the great grandfather of Mr. Donald W. Lane, [email protected] of Kingsport, Tennessee who provided the information contained in this short biography.. Private Quillin received his pension for his service in Co. H, 6th Battalion, Virginia Reserves. Mr. Lane writes:

"Ezekiel lived until 1928, so Dad (b. 1913) spent a lot of time with him. Dad said he told stories of almost starving and not having shoes. I do not recall ever hearing him talk about any battles.

My great grandfather Joseph Wesley Lane was in the Union army (Private, Co. E 14th Kentucky Cavalry). He went to Jackson Co., Kentucky to join the army. The Civil War was a taboo subject in the family, so no one knows any stories. It was said tha Ezekiel or Joseph somehow rescued the other during the war and they became close friends, but I have no evidence that they were even anywhere near each other in the war. Granddad Lane married two daughters of Ezekiel, and Granddad's sister, Sadie, married Elisha Quillin, a son of Ezekiel.

Ezekiel Quillin put all of his pension money in a Kingsport bank and drew it all out before his death because he lost faith in the bank (pretty good foresight just before the crash.) But he did not tell anyone where he put it. He had a stroke and lost his speech and was very excited prior to his death. We now know that he was trying to tell Uncle Alfred (with whom he lived) that he hid the money in the wall of the house. They never found it, but the man who bought the house did find it a few years later and left town in a hurry. Uncle Alfred said not to worry, when he bought the house, he got all that was in it also."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread