Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
can you say STUPID.
did they really think nobody was going to notice the holes ?
with holes that big, what do you think they were looking for ?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the are "newman lake" is a well known indain burial area --clearly from the sounds of things and gear they had , they were digging "test pits" trying to find a indain burial site to loot -- they dig "test holes" till they hit the right spot then they dig as deep as they need to to get the grave goods --note the ladder they were carrying --these were NOT -- innocent walking around in the park and found a random "surface find " arrowhead types --they were pro type looters --caught in the act. ---who got what they deserve --arrested.

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
Spooky said:
Bunch of jagoffs.
Reminds me of the mouthbreathers we have around here, who CAN"T WAIT for the thaw to get that precious 3.00 in silver, so they have to destroy parks by digging frozen ground or can't be bothered by filling holes or packing out trash..

That way they can die with a shoebox of silver coins under their bed and their relatives can sell it on Ebay...

Of course some cops lie out of reflex to exaggerate and embellish a case, so the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
Some cops lie out reflex.........? How does that come into this?

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I say let them rot in jail...the artifacts/relics that they had should be given to a museum.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
ivan salis said:
the are "newman lake" is a well known indain burual area --clearly from the sounds of things and gear they had , they were digging "test pits" trying to find a indain burial site to loot -- they dig yest holes till they hit the right spot then they dig as deep as they need to to get the grave goods --note the ladder they were carrying --these were NOT -- innocent walking around in the park and found a random "surface find " arrowhead types --they were pro type looters --caught in the act. ---who got what they deserve --arrested.

Arested is the least of what they deserve.
I doubt if the cops lied, they understated it as cops usually do.
To know what is going on all you have to do is look at their gear and what they did.
I hope they get a biased judge who is a member of tnet.
Now that's what they deserve!

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
State lands? Indian artifacts? Near burial mounds? These guys were complete idiots even if they were just looking for arrowheads. Every Fish and Wildlife officer will assume that they were digging in burial mounds. They dont play with indian artifacts in Florida, if you get caught....you are dead!!! They are also trying to protect the prehistoric stuff also. You are better off sitting down with these officers and understanding what you can and cant do. This is a huge problem at Lake Panasoffkee with crackheads, they are selling the arrowheads to get drug money. Very stupid people.

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
Spooky said:
HCW said:
Some cops lie out reflex.........? How does that come into this?

As naturally as YOUR defense and assumption that a badge makes them an instant, honest hero, above reproach.
I've been one.
I've worked with them. They lie, cheat, steal and abuse out of reflex, and people like YOU make it easier by just elevating their tripe.
Don't be such a sheep.
Nobody is above reproach, including you and I. I'm not a cop myself , but I come from a family of many and I will defend their honor anytime any where.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why metal detectorists get such a bad rap. Dip$hits like this................. :violent1: :nono: :BangHead: :BangHead:

How many stories do we get to hear about all the GOOD things we do - like return lost things and get rid of all the garbage???? Hardly ever.

Lock 'em up, throw away the key - and we will see how many metal detectorists can find it - or even look for it. :icon_scratch:

B

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
State wildlife officers arrested a pair of Marion County men who are accused of searching for arrowheads after they reportedly dug up an area described as "the size of two football fields and looked like it had been carpet bombed."

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20100212/ARTICLES/2121004/1002

Were they digging at an Archey Dig site ?

Maybe this is why it "looked like it had been carpet bombed"

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
this isnt an archy area nor a burial ground, I know exactly where they were digging, this has been a hot spot for over 20 years, plus the fact that when we had a severe drought 5-6 years ago Dr. Barbara Purdy and crew uncovered/discovered over 80 canoes in that lake, big news, they left them there because it cost too much money to preserve them.
My digging/diving buddy is an Alacua county deputy and his roomate is the Game and Fish officer who made that arrest at the boat ramp. HE has never arrested anyone before for digging and had no clue as to what they were doing.He asked a few questions and they confessed to it all.It was bomed years ago, as long as these crackheafds think there is an arrowhead worth $20 there they will dig it.

What makes this site so awesome is its on the edge of Paynes PRairie which was a lake in the paleo/archaic times, with a creek running into newnans lake.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
centfladigger said:
this isnt an archy area nor a burial ground, I know exactly where they were digging, this has been a hot spot for over 20 years, plus the fact that when we had a severe drought 5-6 years ago Dr. Barbara Purdy and crew uncovered/discovered over 80 canoes in that lake, big news, they left them there because it cost too much money to preserve them.
My digging/diving buddy is an Alacua county deputy and his roomate is the Game and Fish officer who made that arrest at the boat ramp. HE has never arrested anyone before for digging and had no clue as to what they were doing.He asked a few questions and they confessed to it all.It was bomed years ago, as long as these crackheafds think there is an arrowhead worth $20 there they will dig it.

What makes this site so awesome is its on the edge of Paynes PRairie which was a lake in the paleo/archaic times, with a creek running into newnans lake.
I remember hearing about the 80 dugout canoes discovered. That was big news. A very large grouping of ancient Indian cypress canoes. I couldnt believe they just buried them again.

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
these canoes pop up all the time and whenever someone finds an exposed one they get all excited and think they are gonna be rich. We have more aboriginal watercraft found here in Fl than anywhere else. These things are upwards of 20 ft long, the state doesnt need anymore to show or display and the average guy has no way of transporting or preserving these things. They are found in just about any waterway here. I have a buddy who deadheads the rivers and has found a few. My uncle found one years ago on the river and thought he was rich and would be sending the boys to college with the money, he called the state and a few other agencies and was told to leave it there.

We do have some of the best wetsite archeaology though. Key Marco was a great example of preserved wooden artifacts. At an artifact show last year a guy walks in with a for real wooden bow, notched tips and handle etc. it was a awesome piece

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
centfladigger said:
these canoes pop up all the time and whenever someone finds an exposed one they get all excited and think they are gonna be rich. We have more aboriginal watercraft found here in Fl than anywhere else. These things are upwards of 20 ft long, the state doesnt need anymore to show or display and the average guy has no way of transporting or preserving these things. They are found in just about any waterway here. I have a buddy who deadheads the rivers and has found a few. My uncle found one years ago on the river and thought he was rich and would be sending the boys to college with the money, he called the state and a few other agencies and was told to leave it there.

We do have some of the best wetsite archeaology though. Key Marco was a great example of preserved wooden artifacts. At an artifact show last year a guy walks in with a for real wooden bow, notched tips and handle etc. it was a awesome piece
I never thought they were valuable and I know where 2- 20 foot canoes are rotting away right now in the Everglades. I think its too bad there isnt a way to put them on display at more places for all to see. Cypress wood is pretty rot resistant as is. I believe a canoe was found in the Keys that was made from Carribean tropical hardwood. Where can I go to see them in South Florida? I never saw one on display.

Its a shame what happened to Marco. The entire island should have been made a park IMO. Yes, they found some amazing wood carvings preserved with human/animal fat, but I wonder how much was destroyed in the developent of Marco Island.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread