Cool Old photos superimposed at Present Locations

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is so awesome! I think I'm going to try to do that with some old pictures of our town!

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a few people that have been doing this recently. Just the other day my girlfriend emailed me this link from Flickr. I like the idea but I'm not into the photoshopping.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/lookingintothepast/

EDIT: I guess both links lead to one another....

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I always look for old postcards of local places when at the flea markets & antique shops to use as a tool in my metal detecting. Here is a postcard from Hill NH taken in the 1930s or early 40s compared to a picture taken recently. The entire town was moved uphill in 1941 when a dam was built on the river to control flooding. 3 churches, gas station, stores, factories, school, train station and repair shop, as well as several homes all either moved a mile or so away or destroyed. The unfortunate part of the story is that the site is maintained by the Army Corps of Engineers and depending on which ranger you run into metal detecting may or may not be allowed. My point though is don't overlook old postcards as a treasure hunting tool. First pic is the "before" pic. 2nd pic is what the same spot looks like today... The good news is that you would assume the coins would date to 1941 & before and the town was founded in the mid 1700s. The bad news is that local kids have been partying there since the invention of beer and the last time I was there all I found was clad and memorial cents & ALOT of beer cans

Attachments

• Hill NH 1930s postcard.JPG
    Hill NH 1930s postcard.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 642
  • Hill NH today.jpg
    Hill NH today.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 870

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Here is a copy of a map showing the locations where the buildings used to be. Picture a small rural town center with all the businesses & schools that make up small town USA suddenly gone. It's one of my favorite places to go even when I leave the detector at home & take the dog instead. Amazing that all of this is gone now and even most of the cellar homes have been filled in. A few remain but alot of them are just open fields that look like nothing was ever there. It's a place where you have to be VERY careful though. A couple years ago while swinging my detector and just enjoying the quiet I stepped into an open well and damn near broke my leg. There are several scattered around the property and what I've read is that it's a total of 30,000 acres.

Attachments

• Hill NH map.JPG
    Hill NH map.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 624

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I have been doing something like this for quite a while, only with a twist. I take pictures of historical structeres and convert them back to their orginal appeaeance in my computer. it takes a lot of research and time. I work with Photoshop Elements and Painter 9.5 plus some ad on programs. Now a days you can do anything you want with a photo.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread