Old 1830 Spanish Piece????

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any chance of you posting a pic of both sides of the coin?

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Tennessee. Perchance would your uncle need assistance in finding more of these? I'm pretty handy with my detector ;D

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My uncle found a silver $20 coin in a field while farming in TN. On one side it has what looks like a Conquistador helmet, with sun-rays comming from behind the helmet. on the reverse side, it has the date 1830, and an eagle. Any help would be great ??? ??? ???
[/quote]
~~~~~

A) Any resembance? If so it is a Piece of 8, "8 Reales" It is about 1 1/2 in dia.

Till Eulenspeigle

Attachments

• .jpg8 Reales.jpg
    .jpg8 Reales.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 848
  • .jpg8 Reales.jpg
    .jpg8 Reales.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 847
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY SIMILAR, ALTHOUGH HIS IS DATED 1830. AND IN EXTREMELY REMARKABLE SHAPE. ANY ID ON THE VALUE????? ;D ;D
[/quote]
~~~
A) go to Google, "type in "8 reales coin values" and see what you come up with.

Till Eulenspeigle

knuckleman

Mar 11, 2006
Go to wscoin.com and type in for a mexican 2 reale.The site has some nice pictures,hope it helps.

knuckleman

White Shadow

Apr 16, 2006
It is referred to as a " cap and rays" 8 reale coin. It and other mexican coins were legal tender in the U.S. for many years. I think right up until the War of Northern Aggression. I have a friend who is one of the world authorities on Mexican coins. If you were to post the text that appears on the coin I could maybe give you an idea of what similar coins from that year range and mint have sold for recently.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread