9 pound nugget found

Cruisin

Jul 23, 2007
Spotted this in the news this morning. See photos at the link :

http://www.news10.net/news/story.aspx?storyid=80576&catid=2

NEVADA CITY, CA - More than 160 years after the discovery of gold led to the California Gold Rush, a Nevada County landowner offered proof the 49ers left plenty behind for future generations.

Jim Sanders, identified as a San Francisco businessman, provided a picture to The Union newspaper of a 9-pound nugget he said he found on property owned by his family. The newspaper agreed not to identify the precise location of the discovery.

Sanders told the paper he also found two other large nuggets, one 10 ounces and another 8 ounces. He said a professional survey of the property showed there's a lot more where those came from in an area of past hydraulic mining.

Local jeweler Terry Mohr hadn't seen the nugget, but was impressed nonetheless at the reported size, which he said would make it worth well over $100,000.

"I've been doing gold nugget jewelry for over 30 years and I don't know as I've heard of a nugget that size being found in this area in all the time I've been involved," Mohr said.

Sanders told The Union that he chose to take his discovery public because he will be seeking permits to begin mining the property.

by George Warren, [email protected]

News10/KXTV

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
That is some big nugget!

Another link with info about the use of metal detectors to survey the land for deposits:
http://www.theunion.com/article/20100430/NEWS/100429649&parentprofile=search

“We did some test pits, and they estimated there was about 3,800 ounces in the first few feet,” Sanders said. “That should increase as we go deeper.”

On the day they discovered the 9-pound chunk, “the metal detector went off the charts,” Sanders said. He dug down about 10 feet with a backhoe to find the glowing monster.

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah as usual, Why cant a bunch of folks that dont have it so well find somethin like this. Just like the powerball, Normally who wins it dont need it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread