SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Jeff,

like the line "alarmed archaeologists".

:D ;D ::)

Poor archaeologist, they lost this one. ;)

They won't be able to put those finds in some
museum basement where only they can view
them.

have a good un............

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Relic hunters got a chance to dig a great place and the owners of the property made a good deal of money. Sounds like a win-win situation for everyone EXCEPT THE ARCHEOLOGISTS (who had no right to any relic there in the first place.)

grizzly bare
(very upset that I hadn't heard about this hunt .I live only a few minutes from there.)

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like how they say, they can't afford to Dig these Places.

IF they Loved History as Much as us Relic Hunters,

They would be pooling their money together, to rent the land,
instead of sitting in their offices, complaining they arn't
getting paid enough to do it ;)

Z

ZumbroKid

The land owners make some extra money allowing digs. The only way they could stop this would be to pay the land owners to not allow the digs. Much like when the government paid farmers not to grow crops. If they went to stop it that way with a bill, they would succeed. Dumb government folks, might take a while for them to figure this one out. ;)

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MONEY Magazine and Salary.com rate careers on salary and job prospects.

Anthropologists and archeologists

Average pay: $52,086
Salary Total compensation
(includes bonus)
75% in this career make more than: $41,010 $42,775
50% in this career make more than: $48,874 $50,765
25% in this career make more than: $58,173 $60,977
Top potential compensation (5% make more): $104,900

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
Its good to be back on the board checkin things out, can someone tell me why all these archeologists think they own everything in the ground from the past? It sounds to me like they are just a little irritated that they could have put that 12,000 dollar buckle in their own little collection but someone else got it instead. If there is any archeologist reading this post please inform us all why you think you own everything? Its ok for the land to bulldozed and developed but god forbid a tax paying citizen finds something you did not. Go cry to someone else!!

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Like most aloof academics, the majority of archaeologists assume and insist that they hold the intellectual and moral high ground. They believe, or pretend to believe, that they alone are entitled to explore, reclaim, and interpret the past. Beginning as self-appointed high priests who have no interest in fellowship with those whom they profess to serve, they too often end up imagining themselves to be deities as well. Sadly, too many of us have been content to let them have their way for far too long, and now a good number of our freedoms are in danger of being sacrificed upon their altars.

As for starry-eyed reporter Brigid Schulte of the Washington Post, who whines, "One day in the summer of 1863, a Confederate soldier from Mississippi left behind his prized belt plate, worn only by elite members of the state militia, in a camp on Brandy Rock Farm. We will never know why." — won't you please tell us, Ms. Schulte, how you would live your life differently, and to what transcendent realms our world would rise, if only we knew?

No, it's not about protecting America's past... it's about destroying our hobby's future.

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
After reading the article again, I really like the part about the bill they tried to pass that says document your finds and of course all relics belong to the state. Now maybe I am nuts but just because their was a civil war in the 1860's and much took place in Virginia why on gods green earth does the state of Virginia think that they own every single item in the state associated with the civil war? I was glad to read it has been shot down but for a bill to even to come up like that these politicians must be hitting the crack pipe after hours. If the state wants every artifact if that is the case then they should in turn pay the finder the value of every single artifact recovered. This is just of matter of the Govt not wanting any citizen to find anything of value that they could possibly benefit from they would just rather it rot away!! Makes a whole lot of sense!! The U.S. Govt did not figure out how to benefit from your finds yet, but it seems they are working on it.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CaptainZossima said:
quote from Richg"these politicians must be hitting the crack pipe after hours"
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just get so damn excited when somebody else sees how damn insane our govt is!!!!!!!!
lol!!
You got my Vote Brother

Cappy Z.

Actually this time The Government was on Our Side.

It was and IS the archaeologists (not a Government Agency)
who has the Problem with the Relic Hunters.

I'm Willing to Give Credit where Credit is Due 8)

QUOTE : "Members of the Council of Virginia Archaeologists have begun protesting to state legislators and other officials and are enlisting the aid of local historic preservation groups. They've also contacted landowners to get them to stop the digs.

Last year in the state's General Assembly, lawmakers considered a measure that would have required relic hunters to get written permission from landowners before digging, and to catalogue and report what they found. The bill also would have established that relics belonged to the state, not any individual.

It was resoundingly crushed in committee."

Of course this is why :

Del. Kenneth R. Plum (D-Fairfax) said he got hundreds of angry e-mails and letters for sponsoring the bill. "I was not prepared for what happened to me," he said. "The floodgates opened."[/b]

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PBK said:
Like most aloof academics, the majority of archaeologists assume and insist that they hold the intellectual and moral high ground. They believe, or pretend to believe, that they alone are entitled to explore, reclaim, and interpret the past. Beginning as self-appointed high priests who have no interest in fellowship with those whom they profess to serve, they too often end up imagining themselves to be deities as well. Sadly, too many of us have been content to let them have their way for far too long, and now a good number of our freedoms are in danger of being sacrificed upon their altars.

As for starry-eyed reporter Brigid Schulte of the Washington Post, who whines, "One day in the summer of 1863, a Confederate soldier from Mississippi left behind his prized belt plate, worn only by elite members of the state militia, in a camp on Brandy Rock Farm. We will never know why." — won't you please tell us, Ms. Schulte, how you would live your life differently, and to what transcendent realms our world would rise, if only we knew?

No, it's not about protecting America's past... it's about destroying our hobby's future.
I think this sums it up the best.Way to articulate PBK.ARCHIES AND THIER "HOLIER THAN THOU" ATTITUDES NEED TO GET A LIFE AND STAY OUT OF OURS!

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
Yes it was good they shot it down but my point was that someone actually tried to put a bill out on the floor for them to talk about, and maybe put something up for a vote. The next time the archeologists want to whine to the politicians they should tell them to "either smoke from same pipe we do or else take 2 valium and call me in the morning".

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
richg said:
Yes it was good they shot it down but my point was that someone actually tried to put a bill out on the floor for them to talk about, and maybe put something up for a vote. The next time the archeologists want to whine to the politicians they should tell them to "either smoke from same pipe we do or else take 2 valium and call me in the morning".

Yea it Definately took alot of Calls & EMails from people like us to
turn it in Our favor.
If we had all sat back & said nothing, This Comment :

Del. Kenneth R. Plum (D-Fairfax) said he got hundreds of angry e-mails and letters for sponsoring the bill. "I was not prepared for what happened to me," he said. "The floodgates opened.

Would have NEVER Been made. and Others Considering a Bill Now Know What they would have to Contend with if they try ;)

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
I agree Jeff, and I hope someone tells these crybabies to stop their bullsh!!! I guess if you really want to get technical about it everything in the world is historical so only the archeologists should be allowed to touch anything on the whole planet. I am thinking of sending off an e-mail to historical lady in Virginia and asking her to explain to me why she thinks the historical people own everything and anything that pertains to history. It should be interesting, I looked her up on google and she is listed under Virginia Govt site, I think tomorrow I am going to stoke her flames a little, we'll see. Good Luck Hunting!!

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMHO the really sad thing is how much there could be to gain both historically and monetarily on both sides if everyone could just put aside their petty differences and work together - but alas, I tend to always be on the side of "can't we all just get along?" That mantra just doesn't cut it these days :-(

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cubfan64 said:
IMHO the really sad thing is how much there could be to gain both historically and monetarily on both sides if everyone could just put aside their petty differences and work together - but alas, I tend to always be on the side of "can't we all just get along?" That mantra just doesn't cut it these days :-(
I agree wholeheartedly.That's what I meant when I said "holier than thou attitudes".Just because they've been schooled,"we" aren't worthy enough to work alongside them.We don't rate high enough to hold thier trowel as far as thier concerned.We are grave robbers and we destroy history by doing what we do.They on the other hand ,are high and mighty archaeologists with the degree to prove it.Too bad,like you said there could be much to gain if "we" could all just get along.I won't hold my breath though,i'm a realist.

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just about doesn't matter how many are amateur archaeologists and how many are grave robbers. As a former archaeologist I can tell you that the salary range listed earlier in this link is way over the real salaries (about 5-10K). I left Archaeology because I became disillusioned with the lack of application and coordination of the information we were gleaning as well as the outright waste of artifacts (many were rotting away or disintegrating in warehouses because of a lack of funds). Also, I was witness to several instances of where the facts were warped to fit the picture that the lead Archaeologist wanted to paint. Maybe things are getting better in that field (I left the field in 1986), but I wouldn't bet on it.

Don't be mad at the average Archaeologist, feel sorry for him. He's really a relic hunter that felt he was going straight and contributing something meaningful, but he usually has to suffer the same indiginities that the average corporate wage slave does. What turned me off most, was that we weren't doing anything with what we were learning. And, from what I can see of policy implemented by State and Federal agencies, no one has learned anything from history and the "Machinery of State" has a very short memory. In fact, the two most "useless" college degrees these days seem to be History and English. I applaud anyone that does the research to find out where significant events took place and then uses that knowledge to find artifacts that most likely would have been lost anyway and then uses those finds to stir up an interest in history that seems to be seriously lacking in the youth of today. I'm not advocating looting or destruction of property and using some kind of method to map your finds might contribute to someone's knowledge someday, but don't let anyone tell you what your doing is wrong if you practice the principles that set forth on this forum.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Canewrap, welcome to TreasureNet Forums. Interesting perspective you have about your former avocation. We don't find many (if any) archaeologists that are willing to open there eyes and see the truth. Unfortunately, the university system in the states are controlled by the left leaning types that think... Hell, just more of the same. I will stop while I am ahead. We have another forum for that.
Again welcome aboard, and I look forward to hearing more of your insight on the subject.

Thanks

Tom

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They don't really need to do digs and take all the relics, they can't learn all that much from the relics they find. All the info they learn does not contribute much to our knowledge. What if this brigade was a few feet left of what history records. However, i do believe that the relics should be recorded and be propeperly taken care of. But we should keep then, for history belongs to everyone. (also, is it better for someone to enjoy and take care of a relic then have it rot in the ground/ plus, the relics don't matter, but the stories and voices of the people who fought the battle, for they tell more than any of these relics.)

HH
-GC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread