LINK ADDED/serious news!!/Noahs ark

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
LINK ADDED/serious news!!/Noah's ark

This is from ABC News national site....(photos included when you go to that site)
http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_...d/20060629173309990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Has Noah's Ark Been Found?
Christian Archaeology Team Believes It's Found Biblical Remains

(June 29) - A team of Texas archaeologists believe they may have located the remains of Noah's Ark in Iran's Elburz mountain range.
"I can't imagine what it could be if it is not the Ark," said Arch Bonnema of the Bible Archaeology Search and Exploration (B.A.S.E) Institute, a Christian archeology organization dedicated to looking for biblical artifacts.

Bonnema and the other B.A.S.E. Institute members hiked for seven hours in the mountains northwest of Tehran, climbing 13,000 feet before making the apparent discovery.

"We got up to this object, nestled in the side of a hill," said Robert Cornuke, a member of the B.A.S.E. Institute. "We found something that has my heart skipping a beat."

At first, they didn't dare to hope it was the biblical boat.

"It wasn't impressive at first," Cornuke said. "Certainly didn't think it to be Noah's Ark. But when we got close, we were amazed. It looked similar to wood."

In addition, some B.A.SE. members say, their discovery didn't look very distinctive.

"It looked like the deck of any boat today," Bonnema said.

Long Search for the Ark

The Bible places the Ark in the mountains of Ararat, a mountain range theologians believe spans hundreds of miles, which the team says is consistent with their find in Iran.

The Bible also describes the Ark's dimensions as being 300 cubits by 50 cubits -- about the size of a small aircraft carrier. The B.A.S.E. Institute's discovery is similar in size and scale.

"It is provocative to think that this could be the lost ark of Noah," Cornuke said

Throughout history, people have been searching for the Ark to help prove God's existence.

"There's this idea, if we can prove that the ark existed then we can prove that the story existed, and more importantly, we can prove that God existed," said Bruce Feiler, author of "Where God Was Born."

Previous scholars have searched for the Ark on Mount Ararat in Turkey.

"Czar Nicholas, actually, in 1916 sent two expeditions to photograph it on top of Mount Ararat," said Feiler.

One former U.S. president, Feiler said, looked for it in the mountains of Iran.

"There is a story that Jimmy Carter, on his way to visit the Shah of Iran in 1977, purposefully flew over it," he said.

As recently as March, researcher claimed to have satellite photos that proved the presence of Ark remains. The B.A.S.E institute hopes the physical evidence they've brought back from Iran will hold the answer to this enduring mystery.

"People will always be looking for it, always be skeptical, always be excited of the search," Cornuke said. "But I think we found something here that's very notable."

The B.A.S.E. Institute's samples are being examined at labs in Texas and Florida. B.A.S.E officials concede that there would be no way to conclusively prove that their finding is actually Noah's Ark.

So the hunt goes on. The biggest hurdle in identifying Noah's Ark comes down to "gopher wood." The Bible says the Ark was made of gopher wood but no one knows what it is.

ABC News' Chris Cuomo reported this story for "Good Morning America."

06-29-06 17:31 EDT

Copyright 2006 ABCNEWS.com

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: serious news!!/Noah's ark

Ummmm, I don't think so. I don't want to start a theological debate here but Noah's Ark and the great flood are fairy tales. It did not happen.

If we are to believe this story then we must believe all bible stories, including creation...

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

=romeo-Ummmm, I don't think so. I don't want to start a theological debate here but Noah's Ark and the great flood are fairy tales. It did not happen.
If we are to believe this story then we must believe all bible stories, including creation...
WHY?? What is so scary about parts of the Bible being proven true?

Many stories in the bible are now being proven to be true, normal explanations of evolution have not been changed.?

p.s. I personally do not live by the Bible, but find it fascinating..

Tropical Tramp

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Can you please put a link to the site that you read this. I search the ABC website and cannot find this story!!?!?!?

Why be scared of the bible? Scared of it's stories? Well.... I guess one answer would be that people are not per-say scared.. more of, they are waiting for proof. Evolution and science seem to have a lot of things explained in logical ways... then you get to the bible (one of many books that man kind have written to explain a larger being.. each having different stories.. each following different rules).... it seems more like a story book of fantasies than a book of historical data.

My 2 cents... :)

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005

Regardless of what this is, the story of Noah & The Flood is not a "Christian" story.

This find cannot "prove the Bible is valid" any more than finding a sliver of wood in some 5,000-year-old tomb in Egypt. The statement the guy makes about how if this is the real ark it can "prove God existed" is ridiculous. At best it would prove that a) there once was a great flood, and b) some guy built a huge boat. That is all.

The Deluge myth is common to at least a dozen countries/religions/cultures.

Many of them tell the same story (some guy builds a giant boat to survive the flood).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deluge_(mythology)

But it is fascinating nonetheless. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.
:)

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Re: LINK ADDED/serious news!!/Noah's ark

So why does creation have to be logically true if Noah's Arc exists. Have you ever told someone a story and had it come back to you a day or a week later from some other person and be totally inaccurate? Well project that over a couple thousand years or so. There could have been an arc and it could have been created because of some huge flooding, but that does not prove anything else.

parrothead

Oct 1, 2005
Morris, Illinois

romeo-1 said:
Ummmm, I don't think so. I don't want to start a theological debate here but Noah's Ark and the great flood are fairy tales. It did not happen.

Yup! And the water into wine crap as well as everything else.

Not to get involved, but, just had to. Nuff said.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004

i think they are about 21 years too late......already been found, utilizing equipment of dell winders, a member here, and a pretty good fellow to boot...........gldhntr

Dear Dell Winders:

I have the pleasure to inform you that as a result of recent core drilling operations of a suspected archeological site of major importance, Turkish led scientific teams now claim it as the final resting place of the ship of the deluge. Nuh'um Gemisi (Noah's Ark) is now fully protected by the Ministry of Culture within the boundaries of
the newly formed National Park that will officially open to the public this summer.

played a major role in the Ark's discovery back in 1985. In addition, greatly helped in another discovery at Jabel Al Lawz. Without three books would not have been written on these discoveries, no national park in Turkey would have been established and no chain link fence erected around an entire mountain in Arabia.

I am also sure you are aware and Noah. I feel this

Therefore, let me take this occasion to publicly declare once again that my discoveries in Turkey, as well as the site now being protected and examined by archeologists in north Arabia at Jabal Al Lawz were made that would claim connection with me or these discoveries is a claim made wholly without merit or basis in fact.

It is still my conviction through personal experience to view

I continue to support your archeological field work and wish you continued success.

With best regards,

NOTE** several portions of this letter have been deleted to pacify the few here that may construe this post as advertising, which it is not..........sorry for any confusion this may cause........................gldhntr

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005

Jabal Al Lawz is the actual mountain of Moses. Not "Mt. Sinai" (chosen by the mother of the Emperor Constantine while on vacation in that area in the early 4th century after having a "dream" while camped at it's foot).

Read a book called "The Gold Of Exodus". Fascinating story of a couple of guys who forged travel documents to be able to go into Saudi Arabia to do further research on the area.

Too many details to mention here, however they made a very valid case with irrefutable proof. Found much gold buried on the plain in front of the mountain.
Well worth reading.

And yes, I agree that (leaving religion out of the picture) I would think the Ark would be an incredible find.

Of course the Ark Of The Covenant would be an incredible find as well. That is what got me into Biblical Archaeology to begin with.

I just happened to see "Raiders OF The Lost Ark" at the very moment of my life I was studying the Old Testament seriously (as an historical scholar), and, as I had no idea yet of what the film was truly going to be about, I was blown away in the scene early on when the FBI agents were getting a lesson in "Ark-ology" from Professor Jones in that auditorium, as I was right in the middle of reading about the very stuff they were discussing.

Personally, even if I knew where the Ark Of The Covenant was, I would not even want to be in the same room with it. Whether it is just an ancient capacitor with immense power, or the resting place of De Lawd (also with immense power), it does have the reputation of being something that can kill people it does not like who wander to close lol.

Let us see how the story develops. It should prove interesting.
:)

charlesc

Greenie
Jun 27, 2006

It is a fact that every major mountain range on earth contains fossilized sea life - far above sea level. A gigantic flood may be the most common of all legends- ever. Practically every ancient culture has legends telling of a traumatic flood in which only a few humans survived in a large boat. This cannot be said for other types of catastrophes, such as earthquakes, fires, volcanic eruptions, disease, famines, or drought. More than 230 flood legends contain many common elements, suggesting they have a common historical source that left a vivid impression on survivors of that catastrophe. The origin of each of the following is a subject of controversy within the earth sciences. Each has many aspects inconsistent with standard explanations. Yet all appear to be consequences of a sudden and unrepeatable event- a cataclysmic flood whose waters erupted from worldwide, subterranean, and interconnected chambers with an energy release exceeding the explosion of ten billion hydrogen bombs. Consequences of this event included the rapid formation of the features listed: 1. the grand canyon and other canyons 2. mid-oceanic ridge 3. continental shelves and slopes 4. ocean trenches 5. seamounts and tablemounts 6. earthquakes 7. magnetic variations on the ocean floor 8. submarine canyons 9. coal and oil formations 10. methane hydrates 11. ice age 12. frozen mammoths 13. major mountain ranges 14. overthrusts 15. volcanoes and lava 16. geothermal heat 17. strata and layered fossils 18. metamorphic rock 19. limestone 20. plateaus 21. salt domes 22. jigsaw fit of continents 23. changing axis tilt 24. comets 25. asteroids and meteoroids Ancient historians, such as Josephus, the Jewish-roman historian, and his earlier historical sources, wrote that the Ark existed. Marco Polo also wrote that the Ark was reported to be on a mountain in greater Armenia. Between 200-1700 A.D., more than a dozen other Christian and Jewish leaders wrote that the Ark was still preserved, although few claimed to have seen it. Those claiming to have seen the Ark are british scientists in 1856, James Bryce in 1876, Turkish Commissioners in 1883, George Hagopian in 1904, a russian pilot in 1916, turkish soldiers in 1916, Ed Davis in 1943, George Greene in 1953, and Gregor Schwinghammer in the late 1950's. I have the accounts of each of these if more details are desirable. ~Fantasy I Think Not!~

R

rvbvetter

Not here to say it did or didn't.
But I just recently seen a program about the ark and the biblical version of it. That had various scientists, engineers, geoligists and theolygins, as well as some religous factions. All working to see if the version of the ark and it's story, that most of us have come to think of. Was actually feasable and/or whether it could have happened as the Bible says.
Long story short.
The engineers concluded that a wooden ship or boat of that structure and size would not have floated, but instead, upon becoming boyunt, would of immediatly fractured and broke in two and sunk.
The geoligists concluded that there is no geological evidence of there having been a world wide flood. But that there was evidence of a more localized flood of that time period.
The theolygins working with the religous factions. Came to the conclusion that the way it's worded in the bible.
Noah wasn't commanded to gather and didn't gather two of every species on earth.
Rather, he was to gather two of only a few species. Which amounted to 2 or 3 dozen total in all.
And that if the ark existed. It would of looked more like several mini flat topped, looking barges that were lashed together to form one vessel, with perhaps make shift corrals on the flat decks.
And also concluded it wasn't 40 days and 40 nights on the water. But more like a week from a local flood.
HH

R

rvbvetter

Here's my own theory

The ark wasn't made of gopher wood.

It's a bible typo.

It was Noah telling everyone to "Go For Wood"

HH

Heavy Chevy

Jun 18, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and others

Just curious as to how this thread on Noah's Ark became a thread on the Ark of the Covenant ? A totally different beast.

"Throughout history, people have been searching for the Ark to help prove God's existence." UNQUOTE

I am not sure how that statement would be accurate. God isn't something you can see or touch or hear. Believing is God is by faith.Which is a lot harder to have than not to have. It is easy to dismiss God because you dont get what you wanted or wished for.Or if life doesn't suit you because you wanted to win the Powerball.Some people want God to do for them, but they don't want to live the way God wants them to. It is difficult to believe in God because you cant see him , smell him, touch him, hear him, etc.
Go back into the Old Testament and you will many instances where God appeared to the people and scared them spitless and they still didnt do his bidding. So even if some people see him they still wont believe in him.
Finding the ark will not change my faith either way because i already believe. But it would be nice to see such a piece of history.

Just my two drachmas

Mike in SC

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004

For a perspective view, I highly reccommend this very interesting video documentary " THE DISCOVERY OF NOAH'S ARK", narrated by G. Edward Griffin, based on the book " THE ARK OF NOAH", written by David Fasold.

It can be ordered from;
AMERICAN MEDIA subsidary REALITY ZONE
LINK: http://www.realityzone.com/disofnoahark.html

rabajohn

Aug 10, 2005
Woodlawn, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & ole Tesoro Silver Sabre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I do not have a problem with peoples' opinions on religion one way or another. I myself choose to believe in God's word. The Holy Bible. But I wish unbelievers would respect my right to believe and not scoff openly. If it turns out that all this is a bunch of "crap" then have I lost anything? No, I became a better person for it. But what if it is all true? Alot of people are going to be shaking in their shoes and will be losing everything. I do not want to be one of those people. I really do not intend to provoke anyone by this, just please respect my right and others as well, to believe in God's word. THanks!

Rabby

K

Kentucky Kache

MalteseFalcon said:
The Deluge myth is common to at least a dozen countries/religions/cultures.

Many of them tell the same story (some guy builds a giant boat to survive the flood).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deluge_(mythology)
In everything else we would call that PROOF.

If it were a myth, it would not be common to all nations. FLOOD/TOWER OF BABBLE

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005

I did not necessarily mean it was "fictional" by calling it the "Deluge Myth".

Ok, well how about the "Deluge Story".
Happy now?
:D

K

Kentucky Kache

I wasn't unhappy. :)

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

Scientists still can't tell us how a bumblebee flies, an aeronautic impossibility. As far as I know, the ark has been claimed to have been discovered several times, most without any proof other than photos. These guys are actually holding samples recovered. What they are, who knows? But it will be interesting to find out what comes of this site in the next few years.

S

stefen

This whole string is no different than a party game where a story is told to the person next to you and by the time it gets back to the originator, its completely changed and totally out of context.

I'm suprised that the topic of the Virgin birth wasn't touched upon... ::)

Someone is missing the boat, if you'd pardon the pun! ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread