man arrested for paying with 2$ bills

Bubba707

Dec 28, 2010
N E Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
DFX, AT Pro, Vaquero, Cortes
Look at it this way, the Feds have wanted to move to a cashless society for years as have many State Govts. Moving to a credit or debit card based system would make it easier to track citizens purchases and habits. Cases like this provide ammo for the argument that it needs to be done since people don't recognize legitimate currency when they see it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bubba707 said:
Look at it this way, the Feds have wanted to move to a cashless society for years as have many State Govts. Moving to a credit or debit card based system would make it easier to track citizens purchases and habits. Cases like this provide ammo for the argument that it needs to be done since people don't recognize legitimate currency when they see it.

if there was no cash anymore
Most private deals,
Legal & Illegal would need to be done
By Barter.

Not too Likely since The Feds Like
Stealing Ever cent they can get
when Making arrests.
a Truck load of Toasters won't Cut it.

& What about Bribes to look the other way
when the Ship is unloaded at the dock ?

Coast Guard isn't going to accept a Barrel of Tuna :wink:

So I would have to disagree they want to
move to a cashless society.

victorysgold

Feb 24, 2008
Durham, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 3.2, Garrett Propointer II,
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jeff,
Good point, I never looked at it that way.
The thought of a cashless system has always bothered me.
Thanks,
Vic

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
victorysgold said:
Jeff,
Good point, I never looked at it that way.
The thought of a cashless system has always bothered me.
Thanks,
Vic

Could you see the News Report,
Man Caught with Trunk full of Marijuana.

Police Estimated Value at
A complete Elvis LP Collection

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
note ---- the way the "govt" cashless system would work is that you get "electronic credits" aka "money" deposited into your "numbered debit card account " when you work ---then when you buy something its deducted from your "account" --via this method -- all earnings made by the earner are tracible and easily taxed as well as all of your expenditures and who got paid what and for what as well * --total govt fiscal tracking and control of your earnings -- so in the future *** black market "illegal" deals would have to become either "barter type deals" or carefully set up "fake billing scams" that taxes would be forced to be paid on --thus cutting out the "no taxes paid --on illegal dealings "-- thus the govt would get their tax "cut" no matter what. -- evil 101

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
Jeff has a good point, though. How would the politicians get paid off? Useless speaking engagements? Endorsement deals? Cameos in movies? Writing useless books?

:icon_scratch:

Oh yeah, I forgot, they're already doing most of these already!

:laughing7:

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scared me for a second...

I live near b-more, and have a business associate who pays in dueces. But wasn't him.

But that doesn't suprise that could happen in bal'more, hon!

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
jeff of pa said:
Would make no sense to Counterfeit odd Bills like $2.00
Bills.

Would Make More sense to Counterfeit $1.00 Bills.

Last thing a Counterfeiter wants anyone to do is Look twice at them. :dontknow:

True story time... back when Bill Clinton was president there was a gag bill called a "Three Dollar Bill" you could buy them in pads of 10 to pass out. I gave one to the Neighbor and when he as a gag handed it to some gal while on a Canadian fishing trip she took it to be real and started to give him change.... Him being an honest guy stopped her post haste.....

Which reminds me of an old joke.... guy decides to go into the counterfeiting business and makes a 12 dollar bill, which he takes way back into the country. Stopping at a general store he asks the guy behind the counter if he can break the bill for him, where as the clerk responds sure are two 6's OK?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sheldon J said:
jeff of pa said:
Would make no sense to Counterfeit odd Bills like $2.00
Bills.

Would Make More sense to Counterfeit $1.00 Bills.

Last thing a Counterfeiter wants anyone to do is Look twice at them. :dontknow:

True story time... back when Bill Clinton was president there was a gag bill called a "Three Dollar Bill" you could buy them in pads of 10 to pass out. I gave one to the Neighbor and when he as a gag handed it to some gal while on a Canadian fishing trip she took it to be real and started to give him change.... Him being an honest guy stopped her post haste.....

Which reminds me of an old joke.... guy decides to go into the counterfeiting business and makes a 12 dollar bill, which he takes way back into the country. Stopping at a general store he asks the guy behind the counter if he can break the bill for him, where as the clerk responds sure are two 6's OK?

I Believe That.

"back into the country" ?

Could still Probably get a Laugh & remark like that.

In the city ?

No sense of humor There.
Even a Joke Like that would Get him arrested :(

Just like the Fool, or Joker who took
the Million dollar bill to the Bank :tongue3:

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
jeff said:
I Believe That.

"back into the country" ?

Could still Probably get a Laugh & remark like that.

In the city ?

No sense of humor There.
Even a Joke Like that would Get him arrested :(

Just like the Fool, or Joker who took
the Million dollar bill to the Bank :tongue3:

Have a friend that had an actual $1,000.00 bill once, when he showed it to me I had to give it a very close look as they are not very common....

a56digger

Greenie
Mar 11, 2007
In Houston

I buy rolls half dollars to go Thur for silver, then pass for gas or what ever. Something to give to kids in a park to go away.

One night my youngest girl boy was in the hospital and ran her over to see him. We started home I looked down at gas gauge and pulled into the only store in the area. What no cash on me and damage credit card. I give attendant two roll of halves. We don't take was answer. Then he saw Kennady.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not change the subject , but i ran to that years back in high school paying for lunch with pocket change the had been in a house fire, we can't take this it is no good,,, reason was they were a bit grey/black in color , they call cops they showed up laughed and said looks like money to me and left

S

stefen

Looks like Best Buy and the Baltimore Police should be nominated for the 2011 Business World Darwin Award :coffee2:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the late 1980s I work at a sawmill in Columbia Falls Montana. Timber industry was being shut down by enviros. All the mills in the area made payroll with $2 bills to show where money went. They ask us to pay all bills with the $2 bills. People like these would have a hay day.

ky.rebel

Mar 30, 2010
east Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to the library yesterday to run off some copies.When I got done and went to the counter to pay for them,I paid with the new presidential dollar coins.The lady wouldn't take them,said she would have to check with her boss.Well I figured everything would be ok,but he wouldn't take them either.Finally another lady in line sees what is happening and explained to them that it was the new dollar coins they had came out with and that they were good money,so they went ahead and took them.I just couldn't believe that they didn't know it was legal money. ???

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ky.rebel said:
Went to the library yesterday to run off some copies.When I got done and went to the counter to pay for them,I paid with the new presidential dollar coins.The lady wouldn't take them,said she would have to check with her boss.Well I figured everything would be ok,but he wouldn't take them either.Finally another lady in line sees what is happening and explained to them that it was the new dollar coins they had came out with and that they were good money,so they went ahead and took them.I just couldn't believe that they didn't know it was legal money. ???

they won't take 'em in my home town even if the bank gave them to them

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Tuberale said:
Keep in mind the cited article was dated April, 2007. A lot of people have never seen a $2 bill, and may not realize they are legal tender. Many people also have not seen a half-disme, and may not realize that is legal tender too. Still.

If he has not already started a lawsuit, it's probably too late to do so now. But it would have been an interesting case.

Two dollar bills, have been in circulation for at least 50 years ...

salvage diver

Feb 11, 2012
Montgomery, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites-DFX & Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nsdq, I dont think it is legal to turn down legal currency.I am the most law biding citizen around. service connected injury so the military retired me, I LOVE MY COUNTRY but these local cops are a drastic joke!! to be a cop here there are frequent radio adds that say " got a high school diploma or a GED and want to earn 25-30k per year to start, apply to the Montgomery police dept" So basically they dont even require that someone finish the most basic form of education there is HIGH SCHOOL for gods sake. just bring in the GED and sighn here because YOU are the person we want to enforce our laws and to decide on a moments notice weather to shoot someone or not, to take them to jail or not. if you ever watch police one on one they are ALL totally different than when they are in a group. When they are in a group the humanity seems to slip away to make room for a pack mentality where they feel free to gang up on someone because they were " helping a fellow officer" bull-mess, cowards with a GED and a badge. I will retort to the fact that some have a degree in criminal justice and that 5-10% are just good guys that really like their job and to them i say a huge THANK YOU, but to the other 90-95% I say you should be ashamed of the way you act. I closing,, i am in no way busting on people with a GED because everyones circumstance is different and you did go and achieve this goal on your own . My point is that if someone is going to have that much power there should at least be a two year degree maybe vo-tech or other program required.something more than the basic police academy. The military never stops training but our police dept. does

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sheldon J said:
Tuberale said:
Keep in mind the cited article was dated April, 2007. A lot of people have never seen a $2 bill, and may not realize they are legal tender. Many people also have not seen a half-disme, and may not realize that is legal tender too. Still.

If he has not already started a lawsuit, it's probably too late to do so now. But it would have been an interesting case.

Two dollar bills, have been in circulation for at least 50 years ...

actually $2.00 Bills have been around since the 1800's
when they used to look good

18962.jpg

18992.jpg

and I Believe our Current "Ugly" style since 1928

1928-2dollarF-m.jpg

I Guess I Could never work at a store or Bank Though,
Because even if someone handed me a $3.00 Bill,
I Wouldn't call the cops. I'd just laugh & Say
"nooo" :tongue3: "Something real please" :laughing7:
& Hand it back with a laugh.

It isn't like they tried to hand me a Grenade