60-year hunt for Russian Czars missing Amber Room

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
Re: 60-year hunt for Russian Czars' missing Amber Room

There are lots of legends about Nazi war treasure and where it is buried, and to find this would be a huge prize that I for one would love to see but..... one problem with the story, the Germans had some big guns but I believe the rail guns were of WWI vintage not WWII...

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The railguns were used in both wars, here's one that survived, it's at the Aberdeen proving grounds in Maryland.

Attachments

• leopold.jpg
    leopold.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 847

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sheldon J said:
There are lots of legends about Nazi war treasure and where it is buried, and to find this would be a huge prize that I for one would love to see but..... one problem with the story, the Germans had some big guns but I believe the rail guns were of WWI vintage not WWII...

The rail guns were from WW1 and WW 2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railway_gun

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used

TheHarleyMan2 said:
Sheldon J said:

I should have clarified myself, the truly big railway guns were WWI, forget the name of it but the Germans used it to shell Paris from 50-60 miles away, and if memory serves the barrel was only good for somewhat less than 20 rounds, fired a huge shell I will look it up but I think it was a 20 inch round, and the trajectory put it in the upper atmosphere at the peak. Anything else is just someone shooting from a RR car.....

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sheldon J said:
TheHarleyMan2 said:
Sheldon J said:

I should have clarified myself, the truly big railway guns were WWI, forget the name of it but the Germans used it to shell Paris from 50-60 miles away, and if memory serves the barrel was only good for somewhat less than 20 rounds, fired a huge shell I will look it up but I think it was a 20 inch round, and the trajectory put it in the upper atmosphere at the peak. Anything else is just someone shooting from a RR car.....

You're thinking of the Paris gun..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Gun

The one I posted a pic of is from WW2 it has a bigger bore, but a much shorter range. The things still HUGE though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krupp_K5

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used

Yep Paris gun that's it, and the USS Missouri fired 16" shells if memory serves... Been on the USS Texas and they have some of the older 15" rounds for dispaly.... I would have loved have been on deck just one time when they touched her off...

uss_iowa_bigguns.jpg

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm sure it would have been an impressive sight (and sound!). I talked to an old sailor about those guns once and he told me when they fired a full salvo like that it would push the whole ship several feet. I don't know if he was just pulling my leg, but he also said the concussion would kill a man if they were on deck and too close to the guns when they fired. One thing I know is it would have been a VERY bad time on the wrong end of them.

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used

One sailor I talked with said the same thing, he was stationed aboard the Missouri before the Navy mothballed her again. But he claimed they would stager fire the guns to lessen the roll they would put on the ship....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread