Civil War sites, 150th anniversary ? The North Realy Dosnt Care !

Chocadog

Feb 3, 2010
Roanoke, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Minelab Safari, Garrett GTI2000, Garrett250
Re: Civil War sites, 150th anniversary ? The North Realy Dosn't Care !

War is a terrible thing, any death causes pain to someone. My biggest complaint about any war is that the people who start the wars very seldom fight in them. Give a metal detector to a chap from the South and another detector to a fellow from the North and they will have a great time and become the best of friends. Long live peace!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

pre civil war --powerful state govts --a small fed govt ( only for national defense if attacked from foreuign countries and other vital things that a state could not do by itself - (-like nation to nation treaty's and such)

post civil war --a massively powerful central fed govt and very weak state govts * exactly what the founding fathers DID NOT WANT * --the founding fathers understood that as power becomes CENTREALIZED it becomes large and bulky eating up resources (money)--thus needing to tax the people more and more to feed itself -- to keep taxing non stop --it makes itself more and more powerful -- oppressing the people with even more taxes - centeralized govts (all powerful)-repeat this cycle over and over .

Lincoln won the "war" but ruined the system of govt -- I agree slavery was a vile thing and that it had to end -- but ending slavery was NOT the true reason the war was started and fought * --it was a good thing produed by the north winning the war ( as I give no man the right to "own" me, I therefore do not have the "right" to own another * is my personal point of veiw upon the matter -- if one says that human beings have the "right" to own one another -- of them I ask but one thing --would you let me "own" you?)

HUNTER12

May 24, 2011

In the South, The war was called , the war for southern Independence.It is still referred to as such.

Chocadog

Feb 3, 2010
Roanoke, Virginia
Detector(s) used

HUNTER12 said:
In the South, The war was called , the war for southern Independence.It is still referred to as such.

What a crock!

HUNTER12

May 24, 2011

Chocadog said:
HUNTER12 said:

What a crock!
I didn't make that up. when i was in the army, guys from the south said that.

Chocadog

Feb 3, 2010
Roanoke, Virginia
Detector(s) used

HUNTER12 said:
Chocadog said:
HUNTER12 said:

What a crock!
LOL :icon_thumright:

montepollock

Jan 25, 2006
ft scott Ks
Detector(s) used
,Eagle Spectrum, Fisher1236x2,CZ5,tesoro golden

Maybe the agressive invasive Yankee Conquerers are ashamed of The war and well they should be..
By taking agressive action against the Confederacys right to secession,they Branded as traitors all the patriots of the American revolution(1st war for independance)
Kind of like pardoning the Nam draft evaders Cheapened the sacrifice of those who did fight.
History records this as the war to free the Slaves,even though that was far down the list of Lincolns Motives.
If that was important to Him Would have freed all the Slaves....
But in retrospect How else can One justify Raising Arms against American citizens and justify the deaths of a half Million Americans?
Lincoln was an UnGodly Man who held seances for Political advice,and waged an Ungodly war on His Own People.
Don,t Even Get Me started.
HH,Mont

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HUNTER12 said:
Chocadog said:
HUNTER12 said:

What a crock!

It was also known as the "War of Northern Aggression". I first heard that over 55 years ago from relatives and many of the old folks at family reunions and functions.

Kneo

Greenie
Sep 26, 2011
Leominster, MA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have to say, this thread was a major disappointment to read. Slanderous and ill-informed comments abound. There are re-enactments mostly of the revolution in the north because it started in the town next to me (Concord, MA).

Most of the civil war battles occured in the south, and those actors in the north have travelled to the south to perform in those renactments. The civil war is quietly discussed mainly because it is a sensitive topic. Americans killed Americans. Americans kill the bad guys, not other Americans, and some feel it divides rather than brings us together as one nation.

The word "proud" is really a disgusting word in my opinion. There is nothing to be 'proud' of by birthright, location, sexual orientation, race, creed, or color. Perhaps personal accomplishment which is recognized by others is the only exception, i.e. proud of your child's grade or accomplishment.

Southern and Northern politeness: I have travelled a lot, and this is simply separated by people themselves; cultural differences between city and country folk seem to be the largest factor on how people react to you. For example, in New York City, you avoid eye contact because it is considered aggressive - you actually have to get their attention to get directions or communicate, and since they are constantly badgered by solicitors to buy something they tend to keep to themselves. Get out into the country, and people smile and nod. My experience in the country areas of South Carolina was exactly the same in the country areas of Maine.

MLK had it right when he said "Do not judge by the color of the skin, but by the content of their character." Who here would deny that there are dispicable people amongst them? At work, school, neihborhood, etc. Are not the prisons full in just about every state?

As far as these historical items and areas - have any of you visited Boston or these neihborhoods that have items from the past? Try getting on the USS Constitution or getting to Lexington green during a reanactment - roads are closed and lines are long. Is the author aware of this?

/steps off soapbox
Kneo

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kneo said:
I have to say, this thread was a major disappointment to read. Slanderous and ill-informed comments abound. There are re-enactments mostly of the revolution in the north because it started in the town next to me (Concord, MA).

Most of the civil war battles occured in the south, and those actors in the north have travelled to the south to perform in those renactments. The civil war is quietly discussed mainly because it is a sensitive topic. Americans killed Americans. Americans kill the bad guys, not other Americans, and some feel it divides rather than brings us together as one nation.

The word "proud" is really a disgusting word in my opinion. There is nothing to be 'proud' of by birthright, location, sexual orientation, race, creed, or color. Perhaps personal accomplishment which is recognized by others is the only exception, i.e. proud of your child's grade or accomplishment.

Southern and Northern politeness: I have travelled a lot, and this is simply separated by people themselves; cultural differences between city and country folk seem to be the largest factor on how people react to you. For example, in New York City, you avoid eye contact because it is considered aggressive - you actually have to get their attention to get directions or communicate, and since they are constantly badgered by solicitors to buy something they tend to keep to themselves. Get out into the country, and people smile and nod. My experience in the country areas of South Carolina was exactly the same in the country areas of Maine.

MLK had it right when he said "Do not judge by the color of the skin, but by the content of their character." Who here would deny that there are dispicable people amongst them? At work, school, neihborhood, etc. Are not the prisons full in just about every state?

As far as these historical items and areas - have any of you visited Boston or these neihborhoods that have items from the past? Try getting on the USS Constitution or getting to Lexington green during a reanactment - roads are closed and lines are long. Is the author aware of this?

/steps off soapbox
Kneo

Kneo,

How can you say the word "proud" is a disgusting word or that there is nothing to be proud of by birth right? I am proud of the fact I am an American, I am also proud that I was born in the South, I am proud that my great, great grandfather was a soldier in the Florida Confederate Infantry, he fought for the South and yet owned no slaves, he was a poor southern cracker......... I am sure there are other members proud of the country they were born in and the area as well.....

I also have lived many parts of this country including in the North for over 20 years in the states of OH, MN, Neb, ND, IL, IA, MO and Co all of which had major forces in the Northern armies.......I lived in both large cities and in the country side in these states...I saw a difference between the North and the South even in the country side.... Not saying one was better than the other, but there is a difference, how can there not be.

We have a saying here in the South "American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God".....Sorry if it offends you or anyone, but most of us are proud of our heritage......

This whole thread is about how the North treats the Civil War anniversary, monuments and the history vs how the South treats it...It has nothing to do with the American Revolution...

And yes JeffofPa is aware of all of this.....

bigrush828

Aug 7, 2010
Northwest Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Sky Pilot said:
Demon_Wolf said:
The North Won And The South Needs To Get Over It!!!!

Easy to say when you aren't faced with the residual BS that we get constantly rammed down our throats over it!

And that includes revisionist "history lessons" too!

Sky Pilot

Well said!!

bigrush828

Aug 7, 2010
Northwest Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Other

HUNTER12 said:

you forgot it's also called "The War of Northern Aggression" ;D

Chocadog

Feb 3, 2010
Roanoke, Virginia
Detector(s) used

Demon_Wolf said:
The North Won And The South Needs To Get Over It!!!!

Ha ha, you are so funny, the North won? take a look at you wellfare costs, take a look at your cities such as Detroit and you still think you won? however in defference to your ideals I would like to suggest that you take back all of the people that retire to the South to get away from the North!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread