Civil War sites, 150th anniversary ? The North Realy Dosnt Care !

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Civil War sites, 150th anniversary ? The North Realy Dosn't Care !

FRAMINGHAM, Mass. (AP) -- The gravesite of a Union Army major general sits largely forgotten in a small cemetery along the Massachusetts Turnpike.

A piece of the coat worn by President Abraham Lincoln when he was assassinated rests quietly in a library attic in a Boston suburb. It's shown upon request, a rare occurrence.

A monument honoring one of the first official Civil War black units stands in a busy intersection in front of the Massachusetts Statehouse, barely gaining notice from the hustle of tourists and workers who pass by each day.

As the nation marks the 150th anniversary of the Civil War, states in the old South - the side that lost - are hosting elaborate re-enactments, intricate memorials, even formal galas highlighting the war's persistent legacy in the region. But for many states in the North - the side that won - only scant, smaller events are planned in an area of the nation that helped sparked the conflict but now, historians say, struggles to acknowledge it.

"It's almost like it never happened," said Annie Murphy, executive director of the Framingham History Center in Framingham, Mass. "But all you have to do is look around and see evidence that it did. It's just that people aren't looking here."

MORE :

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...AOL-?SITE=PAPOE&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Civil War sites, 150th anniversary ? The North Realy Dosn't Care !

It is sad, but the war was all fought in the south, except Gettysburg, Antietam, and some raids here or there.

Demon_Wolf

Feb 15, 2011
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Garrett AT Pro

The North Won And The South Needs To Get Over It!!!!

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ok let me play devils advocate for a minute.....the way i read this is that people are upset that we are not celebrating the civil war..now if we did have big celebrations and flag raisings ect people would complain and say that we were gloating over the victory......so is ay remember all the people that gave their lives for what they believed in ..north and south .......

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Actually if they want me to care,
If they can Turn back time,
Let the south at least make it up
to schuylkill county for their final Battles. :wink:

I Need a battlefield I Can hunt
by stepping out my door :thumbsup:

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

I had a job that required me to travel quite a bit in my early 20's, 1991 to 1993 my first assignment was between Chicago, IL. and Slidell, LA. I grew up in a small town in Missouri so this was a lot of culture shock for me at the time. Over that summer I learned very quickly the difference between southern and northern mentality. I'm sorry but I would take the manners and politeness of the south over the north anytime. I knew as soon as I got north of Cairo, IL. it was like entering another country and I had to act accordingly. I don't know if this stretches all the way back to the civil war but even today there is a huge difference in their way of thinking and the way they treat others.

I don't think it's about who won or who lost but more about remembering and respecting our ancestors for standing up for what they believed and doing what they thought was right at the time. Winning a war doesn't make you right it just means you won. I'm glad I was raised where and how I was and I'm proud to say I have instilled those ways into my children's upbringing.

If they don't want to take the time to remember and honor their ancestors in the northern communities all I can say is that it's their loss.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's

Demon_Wolf said:

Easy to say when you aren't faced with the residual BS that we get constantly rammed down our throats over it!

And that includes revisionist "history lessons" too!

Sky Pilot

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

savant365 said:
Winning a war doesn't make you right it just means you won. I'm glad I was raised where and how I was and I'm proud to say I have instilled those ways into my children's upbringing.

If they don't want to take the time to remember and honor their ancestors in the northern communities all I can say is that it's their loss.

I Never even Checked to see if any of my Relatives Fought
in the Civil war.

I think I would be more Intrested if I Found out
My relatives in the North Fought for the south,
Or refused to Support the War all together.

Would Explain My inability to Conform :coffee2:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

American By Birth, Southern By the Grace Of God. :icon_thumright:

I have lived all over the States, there is nothing like The South...............

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used

jeff of pa said:
I Never even Checked to see if any of my Relatives Fought
in the Civil war.

I think I would be more Intrested if I Found out
My relatives in the North Fought for the south,
Or refused to Support the War all together.

Would Explain My inability to Conform :coffee2:

There were some folks that chose to sit it out here in the South as well.

My neighbor's grandpa didn't want to see the union split apart and refused to fight his neighbors and kin, so he sat it out, through the whole thing.
My neighbor (he was 95 when he was killed in a car crash back in 2000) told me a lot of really neat stories his granddad related to him from that time concerning avoiding the conscription.
I sure miss my friend!

Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used

Treasure_Hunter said:
American By Birth, Southern By the Grace Of God. :icon_thumright:

I have lived all over the States, there is nothing like The South...............

I gotta agree with you on that Treasure_Hunter! :icon_thumright:

Sky Pilot

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

I REMEMBER THIS OLD SAYING -- OF MY GRANDMOTHER

THE FARTHER NORTH YOU GO THE COLDER THE WEATHER AND THE PEOPLE ARE.

NolanTheExplorer

May 11, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, ProPointer, Ace 250, GTA 1250, Radio Shack Bounty Hunter, Eye Balls, Intuition, Instinct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Demon_Wolf said:

Win or lose, I will never "get over it." Whether they be boys from the North, or South, it is a part of our history that will always excite me and most on TNet. Telling Southerners and Northerners alike-who in some cases had relatives fight and die-to "get over it" degrades the sacrifice.

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000

Demon_Wolf said:

What a stupid post.

03.jpg

I'm not a "Lost Cause" advocate by any means, but it is a common misconception that southerners are constantly beating themselves up over something that occurred 150 years ago. Many could care less. Embracing your history and heritage doesn't equate to stewing over losing the Civil War dude. We're not all down here fanning ourselves on the front porches of our plantation homes sucking down mint juleps and lamenting the fact slave labor isn't readily available.

I won't get into the whole "Southern Exceptionalism" topic or the "cultural" differences between Dixie and the rest of the country, but suffice it to say I sure as hell wouldn't trade living in Northeast Georgia for anywhere else in the country - especially Minnesota. Pfffffttt!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You have to be from the South to understand the South......My Great Grandfather on my mother's side fought for the South as part of a Florida regiment.

I was born and raised as a Southerner and proud of it. I still like hearing the songs Dixie, Sweet Home Alabama and I see nothing wrong with flying the Stars and Bars, it has nothing to do with race at all.

"American By Birth, Southern By The Grace Of God." :icon_thumright:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sky Pilot said:
Demon_Wolf said:

Easy to say when you aren't faced with the residual BS that we get constantly rammed down our throats over it!

And that includes revisionist "history lessons" too!

Sky Pilot
And comments like that from... nevermind. ::)

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000

Treasure_Hunter said:
I see nothing wrong with flying the Stars and Bars, it has nothing to do with race at all.

The most racist person I have ever met in my life was from Boston Massachusetts.

It's as though many Americans like to project their own hang ups in regards to race onto The South just to make themselves feel better. I'm not saying racism doesn't exist down here, but it's not any more prevalent here as it is anywhere else in the country. "Good ol' boys" and trailer parks are not a phenomenon exclusive to the Southern United States. It's sad to hear people talking that tired, stereotypical nonsense.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
I see nothing wrong with flying the Stars and Bars, it has nothing to do with race at all.

The most racist person I have ever met in my life was from Boston Massachusetts.

It's as though many Americans like to project their own hang ups in regards to race onto The South just to make themselves feel better. I'm not saying racism doesn't exist down here, but it's not any more prevalent here as it is anywhere else in the country. "Good ol' boys" and trailer parks are not a phenomenon exclusive to the Southern United States. It's sad to hear people talking that tired, stereotypical nonsense.

I lived in the North for 20 years (Ohio, Minnesota, North Dakota, Iowa, Illinois, Nebraska, Missouri), there is just as much racism in the North as in the South.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
We're not all down here fanning ourselves on the front porches of our plantation homes sucking down mint juleps and lamenting the fact slave labor isn't readily available.

I Could use some slave Labor right now :laughing7:

My last one Gave up when she realized I Just liked
to Make the Messes :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread