1793 Chain Cent Sells For $1.38 Million

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've collected -- and, in some cases, restored -- over 400 early large cents. I've seen and held some gems. That 1793 "chain" cent is one in a million. Or, figuratively, one in 1.38 million. It's beyond astounding when considering even uncirculated coins from back in the early days of American coinage were often/usually poorly struck. Not that beauty. It's truly a gem of the numismatic ages. Odds of finding one like that with a detector? A billion to one, give or take trillion.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
tigerbeetle said:
I've collected -- and, in some cases, restored -- over 400 early large cents. I've seen and held some gems. That 1793 "chain" cent is one in a million. Or, figuratively, one in 1.38 million. It's beyond astounding when considering even uncirculated coins from back in the early days of American coinage were often/usually poorly struck. Not that beauty. It's truly a gem of the numismatic ages. Odds of finding one like that with a detector? A billion to one, give or take trillion.

TB - Ok, so if I dig a REALLY nice one, I'll settle for half that in cash. :wink: Seriously, though, that is quite astounding, isn't it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread