Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty dang sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I was the Odessy owner I would have hired some merceneries and had the treasure hauled off to sea and dumped overboard one bucket at a time traveling at full speed! Then I would tell them the treasure was lost at sea, GO FIND IT!!!!!!

This is just proof that our courts and government is ALL JACKED UP!!!!!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes me sick .Liberal judges .. That is what is wrong with the court system.

wx5jcp

Greenie
Feb 19, 2012
Ponca City, OK
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter SharpShooter II
Primary Interest:
Other
How did an insignificant court in Florida have jurisdiction? The treasure trove was found off the coast of Portugal and does the Doctrine of Treasure Trove not apply???

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TheHarleyMan2 said:
Pretty dang sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I was the Odessy owner I would have hired some merceneries and had the treasure hauled off to sea and dumped overboard one bucket at a time traveling at full speed! Then I would tell them the treasure was lost at sea, GO FIND IT!!!!!!

This is just proof that our courts and government is ALL JACKED UP!!!!!

All the hard work that they did to recover that treasure and they get none
of it, that is a big crock of crap and I agree with you TheHarleyMan2 !!!!!

photo-master

Jan 17, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
If it was my company and me bringing the gold up from the sea, I'd keep my mouth shut. --"Hey boys fire up the furnace, we've got gold bars to mint!

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is so very sad. I'm not making any judgments on who gets what here but I'm sure a few tears have been shed by the crew due to all of the hard work that was involved.

Also, this is not a case of "they should have kept their mouths shut" either. Realistically, being who they were and how big of an operation they were running, they didn't have to say a word about it and people would still know about it. Did anyone watch the special on Discovery channel about a week ago or so? They loaded up a jet plane with nothing but buckets of coins in every seat and flew it back to the states to be unloaded. That would be a bit hard to hide.

Is anyone else wondering if there's a stray bucket or two that were "lost" in the mix? I am.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WIT said:
This is so very sad. I'm not making any judgments on who gets what here but I'm sure a few tears have been shed by the crew due to all of the hard work that was involved.

Also, this is not a case of "they should have kept their mouths shut" either. Realistically, being who they were and how big of an operation they were running, they didn't have to say a word about it and people would still know about it. Did anyone watch the special on Discovery channel about a week ago or so? They loaded up a jet plane with nothing but buckets of coins in every seat and flew it back to the states to be unloaded. That would be a bit hard to hide.

Is anyone else wondering if there's a stray bucket or two that were "lost" in the mix? I am.

They'll get lost, all right. But in Spain.

The joke is that some archies see all the coins as an archeological find. Maybe a few of them, but just how many of the coins are redundant?

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Spain shipwreck treasure shown for the first time

i tried to do a direct link,wouldnt work,click enlarge gallery,get a pop out,17 img

Only a tiny portion of the haul from the Nuestra Senora de las Mercedes, a galleon that sank off Portugal's Atlantic coast near the straits of Gibraltar in 1804, was shown to the media: 12 individual silver coins, a block of encrusted silver coins stuck together after centuries underwater, two gold tobacco boxes and a bronze pulley.
Authorities who have been inventorying the treasure since it was flown from Florida to Spain in February said it will be transferred later this year from Madrid to the National Museum of Underwater Archaeology in the Mediterranean city of Cartagena. Displays are expected to start next year, with some items put on rotating temporary displays at museums across the country.
The inventory counted 574,553 silver coins and 212 gold coins.
Spain shipwreck treasure shown for the first time - Yahoo! News

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe their is different laws for merchant and military ships when it comes to treasure laws - but I sure many of you know a lot more than I do.

Interestingly odyssey marine is a public company ( omex) so anyone can be an owner. Not that I'm recommending for or against but pretty cool that you can be a shareholder in a treasure hunting company. Trades for a bit under $3 bucks a share - ticker OMEX.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
All I know is that I would want those spanish lawyers handling a divorce case for me. Pretty slick job and they are still in court after they won
asking that the treasure company pay the court costs. That's some nerve.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread