Man finds stash of cash and coins in the river (gold & old bills)

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Man finds stash of cash and coins in the river (gold & old bills)

Story from Bastrop, Texas (near Austin). The Sheriff's office is trying to claim the cash as is a man who owns land next to the city park that says people are always trespassing on his land so it was probably found there ::)

http://bastropadvertiser.com/2012/02/01/man-finds-stash-of-cash-and-coins/

The topic came up at work today when I was asking a buddy from Bastrop if he'd heard any updates. This is the first article I'd seen that mentioned how much money was found & the gold coins. All the others either didn't mention an amount or said it was more than $10K

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
Re: Man finds stash of cash and coins in the river (gold & old bills)

Hope the finder gets it.

I doubt it..

OP
OP
gilgar

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300

No kidding especially since he was homeless & can't really fight it, plus the amount found was said to be $71,680 not sure if that's face value of the cash or if it considers what the gold is currently worth :dontknow: Another article gave the impression that there were older bills such as silver & gold certificates

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

A good reminder to follow the 'rules'!

1. Never find a cache
2. Keep your mouth shut if you find a cache
3. If you violate #1, see #2

Borrowed from another poster on t'net years ago...

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

pyledriver said:

1. Never find a cache

Sage advice , my friend .

OP
OP
gilgar

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300

Amen! There's no way I would have run straight to the bank with a bag full of wet bills. Granted he was homeless and had likely never seen that much money but still! I would hope that I'd have been much smarter than that--He was just way too impatient. It mentioned he bought beer first so maybe that's what clouded his judgment :dontknow:

lovelylea

Oct 3, 2011
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1. Never find a cache

I second that!!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
In 1993 I was down and out, I got my first detector an old garrett. I went to my aunt's ex-husband's son-in-law's daughter's mother-in-law's land somewhere in the Northeast US. I found a big target, like three by three foot solid pinpoint footprint. I dug it because I did not know tectin back then too good. I found a cache. It was a 20 inch square by ten inch height copper box made from thin copper sheet, all soldered together at the joints. The box was green like an old indian cent detected up here all burnt away by the acid rain. The box was about a foot down near a great big grey granite boulder the size of a small car. It was kinda heavy (the cache box, not the big boulder) and sounded like it contained metal crap like coins or nuts and bolts just by hearing them all jangling around inside. I gotta pair of needle nose pliers and started to peel away the top like a can of sardines. Inside were thirty seven fifty-dollar slugs, in absolutely AU condition. That's it, no silver, no diamonds or watches or any other thing whatsoever, not even paper money or dirt or lint even. I had found a cache, and now I tell you all about it. Sorry, no pics. I sold most of them off thru the years. Nowadays, I too am homeless. But I buried five of these coins in a fruit jar in the back yard of my childhood home, but the home has since been sold and the new owners are just plumb crazy against any diggin in their lawn. If anyone wants to try, the coins are at 788 North Valley St, Pleasantville, N AAAooww aaaArrrgh! heart attack dead

OP
OP
gilgar

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
They just had an update on the news. He gets to keep the money when he gets out of jail. He's in for criminal trespass. His find? 70 modern $100 bills and 40 1 oz krugerrands. I wouldn't ever do business with that bank--they call 911 because you look homeless and bring in lots of money? That's really none of their business. If anything they might file a CTR with the IRS if he exchanged over $10,000. Bastrop allows homeless man to keep treasure

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They just had an update on the news. He gets to keep the money when he gets out of jail. He's in for criminal trespass. His find? 70 modern $100 bills and 40 1 oz krugerrands. I wouldn't ever do business with that bank--they call 911 because you look homeless and bring in lots of money? That's really none of their business. If anything they might file a CTR with the IRS if he exchanged over $10,000. Bastrop allows homeless man to keep treasure

Next Headline will be
[h=1]Bastrop homeless man Homeless again after paying Lawyer[/h]and taxes

061312gm_bastrop_1496105k.jpg

Aleta Peacock, left, attorney for Timothy Yost, talks with the media after the Bastrop council ruled that her client could keep the $77,000 in cash and collectible coins he found in January.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions