Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By gilgar
  • 1 Post By jeff of pa

Thread: Man finds stash of cash and coins in the river (gold & old bills)

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2009
    A Little South of Heaven
    Garrett Treasure Ace 300
    35 times

Man finds stash of cash and coins in the river (gold & old bills)

Story from Bastrop, Texas (near Austin). The Sheriff's office is trying to claim the cash as is a man who owns land next to the city park that says people are always trespassing on his land so it was probably found there

http://bastropadvertiser.com/2012/02...ash-and-coins/

The topic came up at work today when I was asking a buddy from Bastrop if he'd heard any updates. This is the first article I'd seen that mentioned how much money was found & the gold coins. All the others either didn't mention an amount or said it was more than $10K

Feb 2008
    19 times

Re: Man finds stash of cash and coins in the river (gold & old bills)

Hope the finder gets it.

I doubt it..

us
    Mar 2009
    A Little South of Heaven
    Garrett Treasure Ace 300
    35 times

No kidding especially since he was homeless & can't really fight it, plus the amount found was said to be $71,680 not sure if that's face value of the cash or if it considers what the gold is currently worth Another article gave the impression that there were older bills such as silver & gold certificates

us
    Dec 2007
    North Texas
    Garrett AT Pro, Whites TM-808 2, ACE 'shorty', Diablo uMax, Propointer, Dip Needle, EYES
    48 times
    Cache Hunting

A good reminder to follow the 'rules'!

1. Never find a cache
    2. Keep your mouth shut if you find a cache
    3. If you violate #1, see #2

Borrowed from another poster on t'net years ago...
    My two best detectors are now 49 years old, need a little help sometimes, but haven't let me down!

There are still caches out there, partners lighten the load! Research, equipment, and funds shared means FINDS shared!

us
    Feb 2008
    Morgantown,WV
    Bounty Hunter Landstar
    801 times

Quote Originally Posted by pyledriver

1. Never find a cache

Sage advice , my friend .
    Wolfpack forever

us
    Mar 2009
    A Little South of Heaven
    Garrett Treasure Ace 300
    35 times

Amen! There's no way I would have run straight to the bank with a bag full of wet bills. Granted he was homeless and had likely never seen that much money but still! I would hope that I'd have been much smarter than that--He was just way too impatient. It mentioned he bought beer first so maybe that's what clouded his judgment

us
    QueenBee

Oct 2011
    Mass
    Garrett AT-PRO
    3 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by pyledriver View Post

1. Never find a cache

I second that!!
    A little thought and a little kindness are often worth more than a great deal of money

us
    Ace250man

Jul 2004
    Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let me detect!
    ace 250
    78 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    That is what happens when you open your mouth,
    you lose whatever it is that you have found.
    I hope he gets at least part of that money.
    ALLEN

Mar 2006
    eastern KY.
    6 times
    My motto.........shovel & shut up !!!!!!!!!!!
    Chuck

us
    Feb 2006
    GARRETT PRO
    929 times
    Say what?
    The more one learns the more he understands his ignorance. I am simply an ignor ant man trying to lessen his ignorance
    Those with the most birthdays live the longest

us
    what hath god wrought

Feb 2009
    Gateway to the 1000 Islands
    Sometime(s)
    685 times
    tectin crap
    In 1993 I was down and out, I got my first detector an old garrett. I went to my aunt's ex-husband's son-in-law's daughter's mother-in-law's land somewhere in the Northeast US. I found a big target, like three by three foot solid pinpoint footprint. I dug it because I did not know tectin back then too good. I found a cache. It was a 20 inch square by ten inch height copper box made from thin copper sheet, all soldered together at the joints. The box was green like an old indian cent detected up here all burnt away by the acid rain. The box was about a foot down near a great big grey granite boulder the size of a small car. It was kinda heavy (the cache box, not the big boulder) and sounded like it contained metal crap like coins or nuts and bolts just by hearing them all jangling around inside. I gotta pair of needle nose pliers and started to peel away the top like a can of sardines. Inside were thirty seven fifty-dollar slugs, in absolutely AU condition. That's it, no silver, no diamonds or watches or any other thing whatsoever, not even paper money or dirt or lint even. I had found a cache, and now I tell you all about it. Sorry, no pics. I sold most of them off thru the years. Nowadays, I too am homeless. But I buried five of these coins in a fruit jar in the back yard of my childhood home, but the home has since been sold and the new owners are just plumb crazy against any diggin in their lawn. If anyone wants to try, the coins are at 788 North Valley St, Pleasantville, N AAAooww aaaArrrgh! heart attack dead
    Federal Bureau of Governmental Redundancy Reduction Agency

us
    Ace250man

Jul 2004
    Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let me detect!
    ace 250
    78 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    okay
    ALLEN

us
    Mar 2009
    A Little South of Heaven
    Garrett Treasure Ace 300
    35 times
    They just had an update on the news. He gets to keep the money when he gets out of jail. He's in for criminal trespass. His find? 70 modern $100 bills and 40 1 oz krugerrands. I wouldn't ever do business with that bank--they call 911 because you look homeless and bring in lots of money? That's really none of their business. If anything they might file a CTR with the IRS if he exchanged over $10,000. Bastrop allows homeless man to keep treasure
    Last edited by gilgar; Jun 12, 2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: correct spelling of krugerrands
    baylorhall and stefen like this.

Charter Member
    us
    MINELAB XS-2 Pro ....... XTERRA 305 ....... EXPLORER SE PRO

Dec 2003
    S.W. Schuylkill County
    5572 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by gilgar View Post
    They just had an update on the news. He gets to keep the money when he gets out of jail. He's in for criminal trespass. His find? 70 modern $100 bills and 40 1 oz krugerrands. I wouldn't ever do business with that bank--they call 911 because you look homeless and bring in lots of money? That's really none of their business. If anything they might file a CTR with the IRS if he exchanged over $10,000. Bastrop allows homeless man to keep treasure
    Next Headline will be
    Bastrop homeless man Homeless again after paying Lawyer

and taxes

Name:  061312gm_bastrop_1496105k.jpg
Views: 1350
Size:  6.1 KB

Aleta Peacock, left, attorney for Timothy Yost, talks with the media after the Bastrop council ruled that her client could keep the $77,000 in cash and collectible coins he found in January.
    LuckyThirteen08 likes this.

us
    Mar 2009
    A Little South of Heaven
    Garrett Treasure Ace 300
    35 times

It ain't over till it's over

The case has been reopened. It's got to be related to a theft either by the homeless man himself or someone else. From what I've read, it was modern $100 bills plus the Krugerrands.

The curious case of the found Krugerrands: Bastrop police reopen investigation of coins, cash found by homeless man

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors