jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry there may be legit reasons to contact the Police.
like for Directions to the Donut Shop, But Never
give them money you got as a gift.

A Minnesota waitress who says a customer told her she could keep a box containing $12,000 has sued after police impounded the cash as suspected drug money.
Stacy Knutson of Moorhead, Minn., filed a lawsuit asking that the cash be returned to her. She said she believes the money was meant as an anonymous gift from someone who knew that she, her husband and five children were struggling with severe financial difficulties.

Officers told her to wait 90 days in case someone claimed the money. No one did but police still refused to return the cash, saying it was being held in a drug investigation because it smelled of marijuana, Richie said.
Moorhead police Lt. Tory Jacobson said when money is usually found and turned over to police, the finder can keep it if no one claims it in 90 days. But in a narcotics case, the money goes to the county attorney's office unless the finder persuades a judge to award the cash to them, he said.

Republican Herald | News | republicanherald.com

Last edited:

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why is it, the only people who get windfalls like this - are the dang fools that ruin it for themselves :dontknow: . Guess they deserve what they don't get lol. Nuggy

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Was the cash drug tested? or the reporter?

GetReal

Apr 29, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds ridiculous to me. Who brings in a "box" of $12,000 which sounds like a random amount of money to a restaurant and says here ya go. If it was meant as a gift from an anonymous person to help her financially you would think they would right a check out to her name to be sure it got to her.

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would have told the owner/manager of the restraunt I am sick
and need to go home and never told the police about the money.
I am glad she got to keep it but she was crazy for giving it to
the police because in my town they would have said yep, the
rightful owner came and took the money back damn well knowing
that they all split the money up.

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"smelled of marijuana" Good Lord. Cops will lie about anything. So even if they TESTED it for "drug residue" it would have proved NOTHING.
I worked at a place that had a "bomb sniffer." You would run a swab across an object and insert it into the machine. It would also detect drug residue.
The instructor told us that 80% of all money in the US has drug residue on it. We didn't believe him.
We then proceeded to test bills out of our own wallets. Out of about 20 of us, HALF had at least one bill that had drug residue on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread