Dan

May 18, 2012
Yorktown Heights, NY
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver gilt coin is found in East Keal - Local - Skegness Standard

AN ELABORATE silver gilt coin, thought to originate from the 14th century, was discovered on land in East Keal, a treasure inquest heard.

The priceless medieval seal was found by Mr Devin Wormsley of Spilsby, while metal detecting on December 7, last year on land belonging to Mr Bryan Bush of B Bush & Sons.

Speaking after the inquest, Mr Wormsley said of his find: “It was a numb feeling when I found it. I thought about the person who may have lost it. I’ve found a lot of seals but most made of lead and this was made of silver, so very exciting.”

Deputy Coroner Richard Marshall stated that it was an attractive item and its find had been reported on January 12.

An inquest held at Louth Town Council on Thursday, May 24, heard how the 14th century coin was a love seal which depicted a man and woman facing one another, with a bird in flight above and a Latin message was engraved on the coin, thought to be a French proverb.

It was also confirmed as being more than 300 years old and exceeding more than 10 per cent of gold or silver, which was confirmed as being treasure by Deputy Coroner Mr Marshall.

Mr Marshall spoke of how Mr Wormsley was part of a metal detecting club to which a membership of ÂŁ50 per day was paid, allowing use of certain land.

The coin was just a mere three inches deep which was uncovered with just one spade of earth.

“It was a good feeling knowing that it hadn’t been touched in the last 600 years and it was a love seal. Usually they have a code of arms on them. Sometimes you have to dig for 30 metres looking for something which can end up as a horse shoe. It certainly feels like you’ve earned it,” Mr Wormsley added.

The British Museum has also expressed its interest in acquiring the item and Mr Marshall concluded that the item was treasure.

Mr Wormsley who has been professionally metal detecting for the last year, said that he might have liked to keep it

He said: “I personally would have liked to keep it but I know you have to declare items. I’ve heard rumours suggesting you get up to £20,000 for it and I’ve heard The British Museum don’t buy things worth under £500.

And this wasn’t the only find on that day as Mr Wormsely found a gold North Lincolnshire Celtic coin from 57BC which he was allowed to keep as it wasn’t deemed as being treasure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread