Jun 21, 2012, 07:27 AM
Sheffield landlady had bomb in her pub for three weeks
Sheffield landlady had bomb in her pub for three weeks - Star Bizarre - The Star
A PUB landlady left a strange piece of metal near her cooker for three weeks - before discovering it was an unexploded wartime bomb.
Denise Kilner’s pub in Sheffield had to be sealed off and evacuated by Army bomb disposal officers.
She found the nine-inch tube - which she thought was an old battery - and took it back to the Cross Scythes in Norton Lees after starting metal detecting as a hobby.
But when her daughter’s boyfriend Mark Deakin, a former soldier, spotted the object he identified it as a potentially dangerous bomb.
Denise, aged 51, said: “When Mark told me it was a bomb I had had it on the side near the cooker for three weeks!
“I thought he was joking at first, then I knew he was serious and put it in the car park because I didn’t know what else to do with it.
“The police came and called the bomb squad from Nottingham, they said it was a World War One anti-aircraft bomb.
“They taped round the pub and closed it off and made everyone go, it wasn’t at all what I was expecting.”
Denise found the bomb, with other objects, while trying out her metal detector in woods near Sherwood Forest, Nottinghamshire.
She took it home and it was only because Mark was helping her to move out it came to his attention.
Mark, 26, who served in Afghanistan, said: “I realised it looked like a bomb because I was in the Army for nearly 10 years. We got trained to know what shape they were and deal with them.”
A police spokesman said bomb squad officers examined the shell on Sunday. They found it was empty and of no danger to the public. before they removed it
“It had been near the cooker for weeks so it could have exploded.”
Denise - who retires from the pub in two weeks - added: “I was gobsmacked, I thought it was some kind of battery because it was leaking.
“It was really heavy, about nine inches long and had a coil around.
“We’ve just started metal detecting and haven’t found much - this is probably the best thing so far.
“In future we’ll have to be more careful what we bring home!”
A police spokesman said bomb squad officers examined the shell on Sunday.
They found it was empty and of no danger to the public before they removed it.
Jun 21, 2012 07:27 AM
Jun 22, 2012, 12:54 AM
Its easy to understand that if someone finds an object that looks like an old battery, that they would put it by the cooker, thats the most logical place for a battery, that is leaking! This has to be a made up story, or do things like this really happen??