Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
another judge afraid of unkle sammy

Sept. 6, 2012

A judge ruled that 10 rare gold coins worth $80 million belonged to the U.S. government, not a family that had sued the U.S. Treasury, saying it had illegally seized them.
The 1933 Saint-Gaudens double eagle coin was originally valued at $20, but one owned by King Farouk of Egypt sold for as much as $7.5 million at a Sotheby's auction in 2002, according to Courthouse News.
After President Theodore Roosevelt had the U.S. abandon the gold standard, most of the 445,500 double eagles that the Philadelphia Mint had struck were melted into gold bars.
However, a Philadelphia Mint cashier had managed to give or sell some of them to a local coin dealer, Israel Switt.
In 2003, Switt's family, his daughter, Joan Langbord, and two grandsons, drilled opened a safety deposit box that had belonged to him and found the 10 coins.

http://www.12newsnow.com/story/1947...ld-coins-worth-80-million-belong-to-uncle-sam

Last edited:

Chisos

Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought that federal judges were appointed for life? Maybe not too afraid.

GoGoGopher

Jun 24, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac - 11" Pro, 6" EQ2 coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with the Judge...The coins ARE the rightful property of the US Mint...They were illegally sold.

HH,

Jeff Harris

Mar 16, 2010
Just bleeping sad. If you find treasure KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT! Yeah, yeah I know some will pontificate on the fact that they belonged to the U.S. Mint and maybe they were ill gotten. You know what, so what? If I were in that situation, which sadly I'll never be, those coins would be so across the pond being sold at private auction. If you find treasure KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!

Jeff

p.s. If you find treasure KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!

p.s.s If...ah never mind you get my point right?

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's too bad that the government doesn't have to show proof that there was no possible way for Switt to have legally purchased the coins directly from the U.S. Mint in Philadelphia, because there certainly was. There was a very short period of time when that transaction could have happened. When the coins were melted, only a count was done, but no date verification was done. That means that the government itself should be implicated in the removal of the coins, but we all know that can't happen. The government is always right, correct?
Now to correct the original post. Theodore Roosevelt was the good cousin to the evil Franklin Delano Roosevelt that was President at the time of the gold recall, which he initiated then had to have the Treasurer of the United States put in writing for him to make it legal before the Supreme Court ruled against it as they did with so many of FDR's "proclamations".

Scott

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to tell that judge to ............nvm,not worth being ban over!

HH John

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The family deserve part of the money when the coins are sold. The story is in Coin World magazine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread