Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunday, Sept. 16, 2012 | 2 a.m.
CARSON CITY —
Walter Samasko Jr., a recluse, died at home in May, but his body wasn’t discovered until June, when neighbors complained of the smell coming from his house.
There was only $200 in his bank account. But there was a $7 million surprise at home.
As the house was being cleaned for sale, officials discovered gold bars and gold coins stored in boxes in the garage and in the house.
The coins had been minted in such places as Mexico, England, Austria and South Africa. Some dated to 1872.
There were so many coins that Carson City Clerk Alan Glover used a wheelbarrow to haul the gold to his truck and deposit it for safekeeping.

Gold worth $7 million found in house after Nevada man dies - Las Vegas Sun News

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply amazing!

The sad part is that it will wind up in some gov't coffer becuase the man doesnt have any known relatives.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I estimate over 300 pounds worth, and thats the gold value. wow

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story! Anybody here from Mifflintown, Pennsylvania?

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using a list of those who attended the mother’s funeral, Glover’s office tracked down Arlene Magdanz, a first cousin living in San Rafael, Calif.
Magdanz, a substitute teacher, could not be reached for comment. But a lawyer who talked to her said her first reaction was, “Oh, my God. Oh, my God.”

I would think she has a chance of getting 1% after the lawyers, Judges & IRS take their share.

greengold

Aug 9, 2012
Whidbey Island
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV...saving my clad for a Tesoro SandShark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was about to post this story, according to CNN he did have a cousin who will get the loot.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He sounds like some of the members on here. Hoarder, conspiracy theorist, doesn't trust banks, stockpile of cash, weapons and canned food, nice!

I like this part-

"There were so many coins that Carson City Clerk Alan Glover used a wheelbarrow to haul the gold to his truck and deposit it for safekeeping."

Hmm? Wonder how many "accidentally" fell out of the wheelbarrow between his truck and the depository?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread