Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sold stolen error coins to unwitting coin dealer
Former Philadelphia Mint police officer William Gray was sentenced to a term in federal prison Sept. 13 on charges related to the theft of error coins from the Mint facility. The sentencing occurred a year after Gray admitted he stole thousands of Presidential dollars lacking the edge inscription from the Philadelphia Mint and sold them to a California coin dealer for approximately $2.4 million. The former Philadelphia Mint police officer was sentenced by U.S. District Court Judge Noel L. Hillman in Camden, N.J., to 36 months in a federal penitentiary. Gray, aged 65, is from North Wildwood, N.J. Judge Hillman also sentenced Gray to three years of supervised release after serving the prison term, and ordered Gray to pay $15,208 in restitution to the U.S. Mint, forfeit property that is traceable to having been associated with the sale of the stolen coins, and cooperate with the IRS concerning his tax liability for underreporting his earnings. The property to be forfeited includes $2.3 million in cash, two houses in Philadelphia, five motor vehicles, a boat and boat motor.

http://www.coinworld.com/articles/judge-sentences-mint-police-officer-to-prison/

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would of told them, if you send me to prison, I keep the 2.3 mil.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder how many years the government will pursue these coins, and how many court battles, to determine which are the stolen coins and which are the legal coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread