A black eye for metal detectorists....

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not a significant number of readers/viewers, as bad as it may appear. My experience is that most of us hunt private land anyway. Let them have their public places while all "their" history corrodes into dust. Everyone loses, most of all, the public.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

Kind of ironic when you think of it.....in the early days archeologists were primarily grave robbers and most of the great relics and finds that grace museums today came from well to do families who bequeathed items to museums for free and were passed along without any in situ information or provenance attached.

Me thinks those who live in glass houses should not throw stones....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

gypsybandit

Feb 4, 2011
Tenn
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
I get permission mostly on private lands . Play by the rules and you'll be okay... The government of any kind needs to know what you dig up .. treasures or pop tabs .
:BangHead:

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't think the article was all that bad. Author tried to be balanced and listen to both sides. On another note I had no idea that bell invented the MD. That's a cool little factoid.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is, You can have my detector when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers. ;)

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I honestly thought it cast detectorists as being misunderstood and for the most part trying to help. The only "black eye" I really saw was the guy trying to dig up the pirate treasure at the beginning. Even the comment about Gettysburg was balanced out with the fact that we no longer do that and that was the old days.

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked for quite a few years in the field of Archeology when I was younger, mainly to learn proper recovery and recording techniques, and I can respect the reason there is "bad blood" and misunderstanding between Archies and detectorists. After all, I think we will all admit that there are many people swinging a detector now days who deserves a swift kick in the....coil for their methods and motives. HOWEVER, I have yet to see an archeologist on any of the demolition/contruction sites that I've detected on. Fact is that if it were not for us "diggers" there are a whole lot of historic/prehistoric sites that would never be discovered and would be destroyed and lost in the name of "progress". I can list a whole lot of sites that are absolutely gone now due to the bull dozer but from which I saved a few interesting relics before it was too late, and I never ran into even one "professional archeologist" in the process on any of those sites, some on public land and some private. Just my two cents worth.

Diggerjohn

Tenderfoot
Oct 27, 2012
VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a significant number of readers/viewers, as bad as it may appear. My experience is that most of us hunt private land anyway. Let them have their public places while all "their" history corrodes into dust. Everyone loses, most of all, the public.

Old Stonewall is right. The longer that artifacts are in the ground, the more they corrode. I would be nice if the government could have a lottery program so you could hunt on federal land. Saving a historical find so it can be "discovered" by an archaeological prof. is crap. Diggers should be engaged in finding sites.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Publicity for Metal Detectorists is always skewed by the media to create drama. It is not good when these folks twist things to make us look like grave robbers, etc.
Archies are just jealous and pissed because we do the research and get there without all the BS they have to follow up on.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with old stonewall 100% today archeologists have no idea what they are doing . just leave it in the ground to rot . :BangHead:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see no Black eye for Detectorist's, Just for those Archies who refused to let him dig the possible treasure chest,
then most likely snuck in & dug it for themselves.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see no Black eye for Detectorist's, Just for those Archies who refused to let him dig the possible treasure chest,
then most likely snuck in & dug it for themselves.

Oh sure they did. But, they would have worked the wording around until it read so that they HAD permission to make this outstanding historical finding. Story will be in Archeologist's Annual, complete with THEIR names emblazoned on the plaque in front of the exhibit. ;)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
No, it's not the media (aka "publicity") that "makes us look bad" here. Nor the "archies" that "make us look bad" in this story-link here. It's the CLOWN "Richard Mooney" from Florida, who goes waltzing off to the bureaucrats asking them "can I dig up this spot in *your* beach? Which I am *90% sure* is *treasure*?" I mean, c'mon! What a frickin' clown! What did he EXPECT a legally obligated archie or bureaucrat would answer to that?? For starters, this Richard fellow is probably a dreamer, and it's just a hubcab signal. And now all he's done is give a bunch of bored bureaucrats a pressing issue that they must address "through all the proper legal channels". And, doh, what did you EXPECT the archies, they consult, to say? I mean, for pete's sake, the media is just going to cite the quotes that those folks say. And NONE OF IT would have happened, if "Richard" had kept his mouth shut, and just dug the fricken signal! Sure, even if it means coming back at night to have a little discretion a keeping busy-bodies at bay. Heck, the mere fact he was detecting there, tells me that ...... apparently, the mere act of metal detecting was not forbidden.

So if you ask me, the "persecution" is brought on here, as is often the case, by the Richard fellow himself. Who gets attention, media, and "rules written" and "publicity publicized", by being the squeeky wheel begging for grease.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread