jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SCRANTON, Pa. (AP) — A northeastern Pennsylvania newspaper has just received a calendar to help ring in the new year — except the year is 1950.
Scranton's The Times-Tribune reports a mail carrier delivered it 63 years late without explanation on Friday.

The large tube contained a 1950 Pennsylvania Railroad calendar addressed to James Flanagan, former general manager of The Scranton Times.
The calendar includes a holiday greeting from a railroad executive dated December 1949. Flanagan died that month.

After 63 years, U.S. Postal Service delivers calendar - News - The Times-Tribune

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave the mail carrier crap about this today when he delivered to my place of employment... He said that last week one of the carriers from his station delivered a Sports Illustrated magazine from 1987.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
So what's the problem? More than likely the 1950 carrier was on his lunch break, took his vacation early, checked out the pictures of topless chicks on it while he used the toilet and got something on it, took it home by mistake, thought it was already 1951 and figured, screw it, it's out of date anyway, was pissed at the person it was addressed to because he didn't get a christmas present from him, hated calendars and swore not to deliver them, the damm thing didn't fit in the mailbox, said the dog ate it(it worked for him in high school)and the number 1 reason that it didn't get delivered was because he wanted to be the guy that invented "snail mail"...

Last edited:

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
So what's the problem? More than likely the 1950 carrier was on his lunch break, took his vacation early, checked out the pictures of topless chicks on it while he used the toilet and got something on it, took it home by mistake, thought it was already 1951 and figured, screw it, it's out of date anyway, was pissed at the person it was addressed to because he didn't get a christmas present from him, hated calendars and swore not to deliver them, the damm thing didn't fit in the mailbox, said the dog ate it(it worked for him in high school)and the number 1 reason that it didn't get delivered was because he wanted to be the guy that invented "snail mail"...

dawg that's just whack, plain old sick. 1950's people didn't get lunch breaks first of all, you had to work 10+ hour a day, and those kind of pictures almost did not exist. Plus, he coulda went to jail for not delivering a piece of mail back then, whether he liked it or not.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dawg that's just whack, plain old sick. 1950's people didn't get lunch breaks first of all, you had to work 10+ hour a day, and those kind of pictures almost did not exist. Plus, he coulda went to jail for not delivering a piece of mail back then, whether he liked it or not.

lol You never walked into a 50's or 60's style gas station ?

they almost all had those Playboy style Calendars on the wall

and not even the women seemed to complain back then.

I can still picture the women Kneeling sideways in the pics,
with Elephantitus of the chest

jselph

Jan 18, 2013
New Orleans, LA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Mark "LTD"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. First post here but this thread caught my eye. Having retired from the USPS, I can assure you that this type of thing happens more often than you may think. I started my Postal career as a mechanic in the Postal garage and you would be surprised how much mail you find inside the doors and between the body panels of mail trucks. Quite often customers will stick a letter between the window and frame of a mail truck while the carrier is away, and passing vehicles cause the letter to slip and fall into the door. It is the duty of the Postal Service to deliver any piece of mail that has been entrusted to them, no matter how late. Their concensus is that since they were paid to deliver it, i.e. the customer purchased a stamp and affixed it to the mailing, and placed the item in USPS custody, they are bound to effect delivery. In fact, after it was cleared, some of the mail that was recovered from a very famous shipwreck was ultimately delivered to descendents of the original addressee. Usually, when lost mail is located, it is marked as "Found in supposedly empty equipment" and placed into the mailstream for processing. I personally know of one 40 ft trailer full of mail that was parked and forgotten about during hurricane Katrina, and was not processed until almost a year later!

Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah yes, I remember those days well.

Gas on the East coast was around thirty five cents a gallon and you got a free dinner plate with each fill up. Oops almost forgot the blue or green stamps and the books you filled for those free higher cost appliances.
I also, remember going to an electronics association trade show on the West Coast where the theme was
" DO YOU REMEMBER WHEN SEX WAS DIRTY AND WATER WAS CLEAN ?"

:dontknow:
Instead of Where Have All The Flowers Gone, today Peter Paul and Mary would sing:
Where have all the Calendars gone?
Long time passing
Where have all the Pin Ups gone?
Long time ago
Where have all the Center Folds gone?
Those politically correct have picked them every one
When will they ever learn?
When will they ever learn?

Sorry Mr. Seeger but much has changed and not for the better!

Another OOPS! My memories of the 60s,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread