Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope you folks realize this story is a few years old, and that for the most part it is "Reality TV," at it's worst (just enough truth to make it believable). If you believe this, then you believe Randy Savage can get $400.00 for a rusted two-man saw blade he just dug up..

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you folks realize this story is a few years old, and that for the most part it is "Reality TV," at it's worst (just enough truth to make it believable). If you believe this, then you believe Randy Savage can get $400.00 for a rusted two-man saw blade he just dug up..

Terry, maybe the prices realized may be embellished, but I and other poor kids did this back in the 1950s. String, fishing sinker with a flattened bottom, and peanut butter, lard, or chewing gum for adhesive. My father was a janitor at the time in Grand Central station, and once I made as much in a day as he did!! Mostly found little, but when one is poor even a little is big. My finds often got me a pistachio ice cream cone from a street vendor on Delancey street. My folks didn't seem to mind me doing this every time we went uptown where there was more change down below the subway grates. Been looking for lost stuff ever since then.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, maybe the prices realized may be embellished, but I and other poor kids did this back in the 1950s. String, fishing sinker with a flattened bottom, and peanut butter, lard, or chewing gum for adhesive. My father was a janitor at the time in Grand Central station, and once I made as much in a day as he did!! Mostly found little, but when one is poor even a little is big. My finds often got me a pistachio ice cream cone from a street vendor on Delancey street. My folks didn't seem to mind me doing this every time we went uptown where there was more change down below the subway grates. Been looking for lost stuff ever since then.

I don't doubt you. But you guys were hunting coins right - not gold and platinum scraps? I think all of us back in the 50s - 60s used magnets and gum to fish stuff out of grates.

mcb

May 6, 2012
Northeastern ohio
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro, Fisher F70, bounty hunter IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Craziness! The guy in NYC has a gift, I'd never see what he does.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread